[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Salary cap: A team by team breakdown

tazinib1

This list is current as of Jan.14th. It does not take into account restructuring/releases/extensions. I will update with current info as I get it. Please feel free to list player movement that changes the numbers.

Arizona -- negative $723k

Atlanta -- $19.25m ($14.25m added with the release of Abraham/Turner)

Baltimore- $15.1m (this does not take into account the recent signing of Flacco)

Buffalo -- $20.6m

Carolina - $11.8m

Chicago -- $13.3m

Cinci ---- $55.1m (wow)

Cleveland $48.9m

Dallas --- negative $18.1m (releases and restructures will be interesting)

Denver --- $18.5m

Detroit -- Negative $1.1m

Green Bay $7.1m

Houston -- $12.9m

Indi ----- $46m

Jack ----- $22.1m

KC ------- $16.1m (I know this has changed dramatically...I'll update)

Miami ---- $46.8m

Minnesota $16.1m

NE ------- $18.6m

NO ------- NEGATIVE $14.7m

New York - NEGATIVE $4.7m

NYJ------- NEGATIVE $19.4m

Oakland -- NEGATIVE $4.5m

Philly --- $5.2m

Pitt ----- NEGATIVE $10.8m (this will change dramatically with Big Bens restructure)

San Diego $8.7m (I will update this with the release of Spikes today with a +$4m)

San Fran - $11.7m (release of Akers)

Seattle -- $18.6m

St.Louis - $1.6m (this also changes with S.Jax voiding his contract today...I'll fix it)

Tampa Bay $31.2m

Tenn ----- $19.4m

Wash ----- NEGATIVE $4m (this changes if they can overturn the $18m cap penalty)

Edited by tazinib1

i do a lot of skimming these days. i see the date of 1/14 listed.

obviuosly, I have a lot of catching up to do. There have been significnant restruscures/releases that change cap numbers. I'm off for the next 3 days and thought this thread would .... well I don't know what this thread will do besides getting some hits lol. Does anybody even care????

Falcons are up around $20 million after resleasing Abraham, Turner and Dunta, but it's really not that much when you consider that they will also have to work out deals or let Moore, Grimes or Baker walk.

At this point, I'm not even sure it would be the best idea for Tony G to return, unless he's willnig to take a massive pay cut to try for a ring. There are a lot of holes to fill to where $20 million is not that much. You can just about forget about the Revis talk.

Falcons are up around $20 million after resleasing Abraham, Turner and Dunta, but it's really not that much when you consider that they will also have to work out deals or let Moore, Grimes or Baker walk.

At this point, I'm not even sure it would be the best idea for Tony G to return, unless he's willnig to take a massive pay cut to try for a ring. There are a lot of holes to fill to where $20 million is not that much. You can just about forget about the Revis talk.

Abraham counted $7.25m

Turner counted $6.9m

can't find Dunta's contract info

Abraham counted $7.25m

Turner counted $6.9m

can't find Dunta's contract info

Are you sure? I don't think they saved that much from either, I thought it was more like $5 million for each of them?

I'll let you know when I find documentation.

Edited by delusions of grandeur

This site has a pretty good breakdown of salary cap room for each team

http://corner.bigblu...2&thread=466238

Not sure how to post pictures:

Cap Space for teams (sorted from most cap space to least cap space): as of March 3, 2013:

http://i784.photobuc...9e00c4.jpg[/img]

http://i784.photobuc...b3bd06.jpg[/img]

Love the link brother thank you. That helps a ton. I think, we has a whole, can take that whip from there.

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=466238

thank you too kevinkris for this link. This is updated as of today. I will go in and update as teams make moves through this weekend. Kevin, you are more than welcome to keep this updated if you wish. Not really a mandate for the site, but it will generate hits.

http://corner.bigblu...2&thread=466238

thank you too kevinkris for this link. This is updated as of today. I will go in and update as teams make moves through this weekend. Kevin, you are more than welcome to keep this updated if you wish. Not really a mandate for the site, but it will generate hits.

It's all yours.

I didn't make that site, the link was posted on a different site I read and I saw you were looking into getting the numbers for every team so I just posted the link for ya;)

Taz,

Why do you hate yourself, you're just trying to provide info. But the truth is there are sites that already do provide these numbers pretty well, like the link that kevinkris provided. Why spend a lot of time trying to determine them yourself, live cannot be that boring. :)

I was just reading an article about the Browns free agency, the article was written today and says "Entering this week, the Browns were $47,049,064 under the $123 million cap and had the most space in the league,"

So the numbers from that site are pretty close. Maybe just let people follow along and correct that information if needed, or use it to update your list in post 1 and check that site reqularly against your list. Others can provide specific info (like I did) that they are seeing reported locally if not in line with the web site.

Taz,

Why do you hate yourself, you're just trying to provide info. But the truth is there are sites that already do provide these numbers pretty well, like the link that kevinkris provided. Why spend a lot of time trying to determine them yourself, live cannot be that boring. :)

I was just reading an article about the Browns free agency, the article was written today and says "Entering this week, the Browns were $47,049,064 under the $123 million cap and had the most space in the league,"

So the numbers from that site are pretty close. Maybe just let people follow along and correct that information if needed, or use it to update your list in post 1 and check that site reqularly against your list. Others can provide specific info (like I did) that they are seeing reported locally if not in line with the web site.

Years ago I read through the CBA (probably 5 years ago now). It wasn't about being bored, it was about wanting to know what people were talking about with the contracts the players had to follow and what was allowed. It was boring and interesting at the same time. If we could get us a salary cap expert that really knew the ins and outs on the Huddle, we would all be better off. I vote that Taz has to learn every salary cap rule there is and we can all ask him for info... :crazy:

Years ago I read through the CBA (probably 5 years ago now). It wasn't about being bored, it was about wanting to know what people were talking about with the contracts the players had to follow and what was allowed. It was boring and interesting at the same time. If we could get us a salary cap expert that really knew the ins and outs on the Huddle, we would all be better off. I vote that Taz has to learn every salary cap rule there is and we can all ask him for info... :crazy:

Learning the rules, the CBA and how salary caps work is one thing. But why (for fun) would anybody want to replicate what many others do, some/most with far greater knowledge and for a living either.

Sure it would be great to have an expert here, and I'd appreciate that whether it be Taz or somebody else.

It's actually pretty simple and, once you understand it, common sense accounting. It's the actual management of a team's cap, in particular long-term, and the monitoring and tracking of all of the moving parts at once that start to get complex. Cap number is made up of three components:

Salary - the salary for the season

Prorated signing bonus

Other bonus paid or likely to be earned

Signing bonus

When a player signs a contract, there is frequently a signing bonus involved. It's up-front cash, paid right away. The "cap number" of a signing bonus is spread out evenly over the life of the contract. Teams have the option of taking the hit all at once, but that's very rare. The spreading out of the bonus is known as the pro-rated cap hit. This works very much like an amortization and depreciation schedules.

Salary

This is the money owed the player for the season's work. Salary is paid out each week of the regular season, 1/17th of their salary at a time. Any player on the roster on Opening Day has their full salary guaranteed for the season.

Other bonuses

Most other bonuses arcredited to the salary cap fully in the season they are earned. Roster bonus, workout bonus, there are lots of terms used.

Cap hits

When a player is cut prematurely or traded, there's a reckoning that needs to happen. First, all of the remaining guaranteed but unpaid money is counted against the cap immediately. Second, all remain bonus pro-ration counts as well. Lastly, any bonus already paid for the current season is applied. These are the reasons you hear people say a team "can't cut or trade" a guy, because the cap hit would be enormous.

June 1st

After June 1st of any year, the cap hits for the current year are considered applied, and any hits go on the following year. This is usually termed "dead money" since it's a hit you're putting on next season for a player that's no longer around.

Example:

Simple Sam

Simple Sam signed a $3 year deal worth $12 million. This is broken into a signing bonus of $6 million and a salary of $1 million the first year, $2 million the second, and $3 million the last year with no other bonuses. The first two years' salary are guaranteed. His cap number each year:

2013 - $3 million ($1 million salary, $2 million signing bonus pro-ration)

2014 - $4 million ($2 million salary, $2 million signing bonus pro-ration)

2015 - $5 million ($3 million salary, $2 million signing bonus pro-ration)

If they cut him after the 2013 season, they would take a cap hit of $6 million - two years' worth of the signing bonus pro-ration and the guaranteed 2014 salary.

If they cut him after the 2014 season, they would take a $2 million cap hit in 2015 for the remaining signing bonus pro-ration but since he has no remaining guaranteed salary, that's the extent of it.

• Like 1

Advanced stuff

Dead Money management

You'll frequently hear "they will save X million dollars by cutting a guy". That's kind of a misnomer though, because there could be some dead money involved that does hit the cap. For example when the Falcons cut Michael Turner, he was due to make $6.9 million in salary and had a $2 million in signing bonus pro-ration, so his cap number would have been $8.9 million. When they cut Turner, they dropped his $6.9 million salary from their cap, but ate the $2 million in dead money. So yes they "saved" $6.9 million, but since he was originally an $8.9 million number, they took a hit.

Darius Heyward-Bey is a good case study here too. DHB is scheduled for a $7.721 salary, has another $2.63 million from an option bonus in 2011, and is scheduled for a $250k roster bonus. This makes his cap number $10.601 million. However, he had another season through 2014 on the original deal that has since voided, so the 2014 $2.63 million is existing dead money hanging around, and if they cut DHB this season that will escalate as well as the 2013 version of the $2.63 million, for a total cap hit this year of $5.26 million. So while his cap number is $10.601 million, cutting him would only save them $5.341 million and they would take the $5.26 million dead money to the 2013 cap. Not to mention they would have to go out and sign another overwhelmingly average WR to replace his production.

DHB

2013 - $7.721 salary + $2.63 pro-rate + $250k roster bonus = $10.601

2014 - $2.63 pro-rate (dead)

Edited by flemingd
  • Like 1

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/03/09/nfl-salary-cap-free-agency-cowboys-saints-panthers-redskins-steelers/1975197/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=USA&utm_content=NFL+NEWS&utm_term=NFL+NEWS

I'm posting this for myself but its a good read. Obviously the numbers in the original post need to be changed. And was I talking to myself in this thread??? :lol: Classic