[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Rule Changes

tazinib1

The owners outlawed peel-back blocks anywhere on the field; previously, they were illegal only inside the tackle box.

This is a good rule since they do cause injuries.

Also banned is overloading a formation while attempting to block a field goal or extra point. Defensive teams can now have only six or less players on each side of the snapper at the line of scrimmage. Players not on the line can't push teammates on the line into blockers, either.

This means there is NO reason to miss an extra point ever. Or really have a FG blocked.

NFL owners delayed voting Tuesday on a rule change that would ban offensive players from using the crown of their helmets against defenders in the open field.

This would neuter RBs. You run low. You run high, you die. This is a bad idea and all RBs - current and retired - are against it. It would open them to more injury actually and make RBs even less productive.

Tuck rule has been overturned...not retroactive though. Sorry Raider fans :wink: (Interesting note: Rule passed 29-1 with ... drum roll please.... Patriots and Redskins abstaining)

Also, the Crown of the Helmet rule has passed overwhelmingly.

Next on the list: A 10 Mississippi count before rushing the QB.

Edited by tazinib1

Jim Shwartz challenge flag rule has also passed.

BTW: Crown of the helmet rule passed 31-1 (Bengals) .... amazing. I think somebody spiked the rules committee's wet bar last night.

Edited by tazinib1

Wow that change to RB crown of helmet rule is crazy. What are they supposed to do, just run upright as the defender comes at them, possibly head first?

Ok, reading the particulars of it, not that bad and allows for using the crown of the helmet in many cases. From one of the linked articles above

"The proposal would slap a running back who violates the rule — unless they are outside the tackle box or are more than three yards downfield — with a 15-yard penalty."

Still going to make it tougher, and not sure it does much to reduce injury since it will be limited to inside the tackle box within 3 yards of line of scrimmage.

ETA: Not sure I'm understanding the rule, seeing conflicting info.

Another article I read says "If a runner or tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players are clearly outside the tackle box, the player who used the crown of his helmet will receive a 15-yard penalty"

That seems to say the penalty is enforced ONLY WHEN OUTSIDE THE TACKLE BOX, while the first says UNLESS THEY ARE OUTSIDE THE TACKLE BOX. Appears that the UNLESS THEY ARE OUTSIDE TACKLE BOX reference was wrong. Here is the rule story from NFL.com

http://www.nflevolution.com/article/NFL-owners-approve-crown-of-helmet-rule-change?ref=7317

Edited by stevegrab

Playing devils advocate here. I don't think its going to be as bad as everybody thinks. Linebackers and defenders lower their head to tackle all the time and they don't get called for a penalty unless it is blatant that they lead with the crown. I watched 3 or 4 Adrian Peterson videos on you tube and most of the time he puts his shoulders into it. I think they are trying to prevent something like this where the helmet is used and not the body:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yDH6x5JW7M

Edited by DMD

Matt Forte is pretty pissed off about the rule change :lol:

His tweets are classic:

@MattForte22 1h

Wow so they really passed that rule...last time I checked football was a contact sport. Calling bank now to set up my lowering the boom fund

Matt Forte@MattForte22 1h

Guess I'll get my fine money ready #loweringtheboomfund

Next year they'll probably be a no jumping over defenders rule... #loweringtheboomfund

I love Twitter :lol:

• Like 1

Matt Forte is pretty pissed off about the rule change :lol:

His tweets are classic:

@MattForte22 1h

Wow so they really passed that rule...last time I checked football was a contact sport. Calling bank now to set up my lowering the boom fund

Guess I'll get my fine money ready #loweringtheboomfund

Next year they'll probably be a no jumping over defenders rule... #loweringtheboomfund

I love Twitter :lol:

He's an idiot. Some ambulance chaser is going to take the first opportunity to use these statements against Forte and sue him. These statements will be used to establish his intent, and he'll be #loweringhisbankaccount to said ambulance chaser. Dumbass.

Playing devils advocate here. I don't think its going to be as bad as everybody thinks. Linebackers and defenders lower their head to tackle all the time and they don't get called for a penalty unless it is blatant that they lead with the crown. I watched 3 or 4 Adrian Peterson videos on you tube and most of the time he puts his shoulders into it. I think they are trying to prevent something like this where the helmet is used and not the body:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yDH6x5JW7M

This.

While that was an impressive display of power by Richardson that is a very dangerous move that can lead to paralysis for Richardson and or a defender. A 20 -30 MPH impact crown to crown can kill a person. The neck is simply not strong enough to absorb certain angle hits.

RB's will still get low but eyes up is a safer approach. Yes officials will blow it a few times next season like they did with the defense last year but overall it won't be that big of deal. Intent to cause harm will be in play with this rule. If it gets out of hand then at some point the rules committee may allow for penalties like this to be challenged.

After Everett went down, I am surprised it took so long to make all contact of this nature illegal.

My youngest sister was the lead O.T. that worked with Everett in his recovery. She deals with head/neck trauma for a living. It is surprising just how little force it really takes to cause life long injury or worse. It is all about angle of impact and crown impacts are extremely dangerous.

I get how RB's don't want to lose an advantage but this rule will be called in open space as velocity increases, not on 2 yard dive plays. We will see lots of angry posts as a result in the next few years but this too shall pass.

Still 31 to 1 surprised me.

Edited by Ice1