[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Broncos / Rams first 1/2 comments

Chaos

Tavon Austin is the fastest man in the stadium. The speed and quickness is impressive even from as far away as I'm sitting.

Jared Cook looks fast as well. Bradford looking his way often, almost seeming to be his primary target tonight.

The rest of the Rams receivers struggling to get open consistently. Not many deep routes.

Bradford under decent pressure. Manning no pressure at all.

Hillman fumbled again. Haven't seen him back in. He was held up at the ankles by one defender, and another came and ripped the ball away.

Cont.

Ball looks ordinary. Dropped a short pass that hit him in the chest. Gets what is blocked for him.

O-line looks good in pass protect and push on the runs

Bronco Billie is on the forums. He's on local sports radio. He also made an appearance (with his family) on the jumbo screens at the stadium. Impressive.

I'd love to get Bronco Billy's take on the Denver backfield. :pc: With another Hillman fumble, Monte Ball nearly getting Peyton killed(albeit that was last week) and Knowshon never healthy for very long, is this destined to start out as a RBBC? :unsure:

On a side note, you could say the Bronco backfield has balls(Monte and Lance). You could also say they have Know Balls. How long before someone names them Ballmart? :brow:

My take is that right now Ball is the primary back and Hillman has lost his job due to fumbling to Moreno.

Ball was noticeably better in pass protection this week, and was the guy getting the ball on the goal line. His ypc wasn't great but the run blocking was atrocious and he was often meeting contact before he got to the LOS. Loved his classic lateral move in the third quarter on the TD drive when he went to the scripted hole and there was nothing for him. He shifted right with that lateral jump one full hole an managed 4 yds. The TD he scored was also all Ball - met in the hole by a LB bit his lean and pad level got him into the end zone easily. The game looks like it might be starting to slow down for him a bit and his comfort level and confidence is growing. Yeah, he did have a bad drop but he looks effective as a receiver and DEN will throw to him out of the backfield.

Hillman is Hillman. He'll average 4 ypc by getting 1, 0, -1, and then 16. Not sure Fox wants to run his O waiting for that big play and in the meantime putting Manning in second/third and long. For the second game in a row he fumbled and had it returned for 6. That is going to cost him some significant regular season PT IMO.

Moreno looks like the better compliment to Ball and can do what Hillman does as a runner and receiver while being a much better pass blocker. He doesn't have Hillman's deep speed, but then Hillman is never on his feet long enough to show it anyhow.

That's the way I see it shaping up.

Edited by Bronco Billy

My take is that right now Ball is the primary back and Hillman has lost his job due to fumbling to Moreno.

Ball was noticeably better in pass protection this week, and was the guy getting the ball on the goal line. His ypc wasn't great but the run blocking was atrocious and he was often meeting contact before he got to the LOS. Loved his classic lateral move in the third quarter on the TD drive when he went to the scripted hole and there was nothing for him. He shifted right with that lateral jump one full hole an managed 4 yds. The TD he scored was also all Ball - met in the hole by a LB bit his lean and pad level got him into the end zone easily. The game looks like it might be starting to slow down for him a bit and his comfort level and confidence is growing. Yeah, he did have a bad drop but he looks effective as a receiver and DEN will throw to him out of the backfield.

Hillman is Hillman. He'll average 4 ypc by getting 1, 0, -1, and then 16. Not sure Fox wants to run his O waiting for that big play and in the meantime putting Manning in second/third and long. For the second game in a row he fumbled and had it returned for 6. That is going to cost him some significant regular season PT IMO.

Moreno looks like the better compliment to Ball and can do what Hillman does as a runner and receiver while being a much better pass blocker. He doesn't have Hillman's deep speed, but then Hillman is never on his feet long enough to show it anyhow.

That's the way I see it shaping up.

Great post - and exceptionally helpful. How it all plays out no one knows but this analysis makes sense to me.