[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Before you start to whine about the offsetting calls in the Niner game

detlef

Did he have anything to say about the missed face mask penalty against Lacey in the first quarter also?

The only people who seem to give a damn about this are 49er fans. GB gave SF a very tough game in its home opener, and the defense looks a hell of a lot better than the Swiss cheese they had out there last year. When the starting secondary is back in place GB is looking like they belong right at or near the top of the list in the NFC.

I'm not a SF fan. I just happened to think it was odd (while watching the game) that there were offsetting penalties, and didn't think there should have been. Matthews hit the QB late, and got a flag for it. Then, when the scrum occurred, Matthews' actions appeared to be more egregious than Staley's. Again, it didn't seem like offsetting penalties were at all justified. That was really my only comment/thought on the whole situation. So, when I saw that the NFL admitted that offsetting penalties were not warranted, I posted the link.

For what it's worth, I didn't think it was a "dirty" play by Matthews. He tends to play with a high/fast motor, and got carried away, resulting in what was essentially a blatant late hit (and a boneheaded one at that). Combine that with his comments prior to the game, and it's not surprising that some SF players/fans took offense to it. But, again, I don't think it was dirty. If he really wanted to hurt Kaepernick, he'd go for his knees, not up high like he did.

I'm not a SF fan. I just happened to think it was odd (while watching the game) that there were offsetting penalties, and didn't think there should have been. Matthews hit the QB late, and got a flag for it. Then, when the scrum occurred, Matthews' actions appeared to be more egregious than Staley's. Again, it didn't seem like offsetting penalties were at all justified. That was really my only comment/thought on the whole situation. So, when I saw that the NFL admitted that offsetting penalties were not warranted, I posted the link.

For what it's worth, I didn't think it was a "dirty" play by Matthews. He tends to play with a high/fast motor, and got carried away, resulting in what was essentially a blatant late hit (and a boneheaded one at that). Combine that with his comments prior to the game, and it's not surprising that some SF players/fans took offense to it. But, again, I don't think it was dirty. If he really wanted to hurt Kaepernick, he'd go for his knees, not up high like he did.

agree on all accounts...

Packer fans in Wisconsin are whining plenty. Many always do when they lose. It's never the Pack's fault, it's always the refs.

Good thing they don't post here then. The GB fans I know own the losses. In this case Matthews committed an incredibly stupid penalty that caused the play in question. No matter what, if he doesn't act so badly at the sideline nothing else matters and SF takes a FG there. Also, GB had no answer to Boldin. That absolutely killed them. I'd like to think GB could handle Boldin better with Burnett and Hayward back in the lineup.