[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Odell Beckham how good is he as a Pro?

IrishPride

He hasn't played as a pro yet so it is hard to tell...From what I've seen from him, he has the skills to be a starter on the Giants. Is a good leaper. Solid hands. Has great acceleration and good moves to get open. can make anyone miss in the open field. Weaknesses, a little on the slow side for a guy his size, not as strong as he could be. Looks to be timid over the middle. I've seen him make some stupid drops and some sick jump ball grabs. He's limited only by his will to improve his game. Don't know anything about his work ethic. I expect him to be the missing piece to Cruz in that offense. Worth a keeper spot? maybe, depends on the type of trust he builds with Eli. He is playing with a QB who is quick to forget mistakes so he will see his opportunities.

Edited by Croe

He's a slot receiver, and IMO doesn't project to be a #1WR. He's an excellent route runner and has good, but not great hands. Lacks the size and speed to dominate DB's, but is very elusive once the ball is in his hands. He's got value as a return man, but that doesn't help in fantasy. He shows some hesitation going over the middle, especially when contact seems imminent, which limits his upside for someone with his physical limitations.

I also don't like that the guy throwing him the ball is a total Jekyll and Hyde. Even after 10 years of watching him he's impossible to figure out.

He's a slot receiver, and IMO doesn't project to be a #1WR. He's an excellent route runner and has good, but not great hands. Lacks the size and speed to dominate DB's, but is very elusive once the ball is in his hands. He's got value as a return man, but that doesn't help in fantasy. He shows some hesitation going over the middle, especially when contact seems imminent, which limits his upside for someone with his physical limitations.

I also don't like that the guy throwing him the ball is a total Jekyll and Hyde. Even after 10 years of watching him he's impossible to figure out.

:rolleyes: 10 years? You watched him in middle school? Really?

We get it, you're some kind of football icon.

Edit - reading comprehension, 101. :bag:

Edited by darin3

:rolleyes: 10 years? You watched him in middle school? Really? We get it, you're some kind of football icon.

I thought he was talking about Eli... :shrug:

:rofl:

Reading comprehension fail again D. :fool:

I think he meant Eli.......

Nut as far as Beckham, hard to say till he gets on the field. At least he should know all the plays

And to that end, I'm actually pretty high on Eli moving forward. Look at their remaining schedule. Maybe he has finally "got" the new offense. Adding a weapon like OBJ can only help. Donnell has come out of nowhere to become a force, he has Cruz deep, Randle as the big body, and a near-stud pass-catching RB out of the backfield.

I would proceed with caution if I were a Manning owner (I'm not, but would like to be) but I think he may string together some solid fantasy outings.

Therefore I'm looking at OBJ as a nice little flex sleeper if he can stay healthy.

Snagged him up in a rookie keeper league Sunday morning. Replaced Austin Davis with him in that slot. Pretty high on OBJ. But of course Davis killed it. Anyone else think he could take the 2 slot over Randle soon? He looked nice!

Snagged him up in a rookie keeper league Sunday morning. Replaced Austin Davis with him in that slot. Pretty high on OBJ. But of course Davis killed it. Anyone else think he could take the 2 slot over Randle soon? He looked nice!

I don't think he will over take the #2 spot from Randle this year. Randle is in the top 50 fantasy points in both my PPR leagues. He 26 in receptions. He is getting his fair share of looks from Eli, who all of a sudden, has a lot of mouths to feed. I think the Giants will start using more 3 wide sets and use OBJ's speed to stretch the field. I see him as a boom or bust type of play until he can prove that he is better than Randle, which shouldn't be hard, I just don't see Coughlin making the change so soon. Have to like what you see and I think is a great rookie/keeper stash

Yeah, I get that Coughlin isn't the type to make a knee her move, and Imo has always been very eerie of rookies. But you don't draft a receiver in the first to have him behind a receiver like Randle for too long. I'm just being very optimistic possibly, but I see him as the number 2 by no later than next year and possibly taking that mantle in the next 5 weeks.

My biggest beef with OBJ is that most of his college production came against inferior opponents. He was pretty nonexistent vs SEC competition. To me, that is a significant red flag that, when combined with his middling measurables, probably should have dropped him out of the 1st round.

My biggest beef with OBJ is that most of his college production came against inferior opponents. He was pretty nonexistent vs SEC competition. To me, that is a significant red flag that, when combined with his middling measurables, probably should have dropped him out of the 1st round.

Perhaps, but he still gets to play against the Eagles, Cowboys, and Redskins defenses twice per season, so he'll be fine.

Edited by Tripleshot

Playing Devil's Advocate here a bit.... was that 100% his fault, or perhaps did the QB just not have enough time to get him the ball? Perhaps LSU chose to pound the ball to keep the game close rather than air it out.

I recommend not relying solely on box scores and "middling measurables". Spend 10-15 minutes and look at some game film. The proof will be in the puddin'.

Playing Devil's Advocate here a bit.... was that 100% his fault, or perhaps did the QB just not have enough time to get him the ball? Perhaps LSU chose to pound the ball to keep the game close rather than air it out.

I recommend not relying solely on box scores and "middling measurables". Spend 10-15 minutes and look at some game film. The proof will be in the puddin'.

The film is the thing that he does have going for him, but all three things count pretty close to equal IMO.

Top WRs get open. If he had trouble doing that vs the SEC, then that could bode ill for his NFL success.

I'm not writing him off by any means, but no way should he have gone ahead of Cooks, Matthews, or Robinson.

Edited by BA Baracus

The film is the thing that he does have going for him, but all three things count pretty close to equal IMO.

Top WRs get open. If he had trouble doing that vs the SEC, then that could bode ill for his NFL success.

I'm not writing him off by any means, but no way should he have gone ahead of Cooks, Matthews, or Robinson.

Totally disagree that stats and sometimes ubiquitous physical testing mean as much as game film. But that's your opinion, which you're totally entitled to. I would say, in terms of my own dynasty league "scouting", that I'd put about 60-70% stock into what I see with my own two eyes... and then the remainder split in half between stats and measurables.

As for the contemporaries you've listed here, I certainly agree - to a point - that Cooks and Matthews (not Robinson, however), could have gone before him. That said, I can see how NYG's scouting on him led them to select him. He fit their offense better. Cooks would have been the closest "comp" but the jury was out on him in terms of size and the possible inflated stats due to the college offense he played in.

Should Cooks and Matthews have been drafted before OBJ? Possibly, but don't blame the Giants 100% for that... blame the teams that passed on those two talents. Both will be stars just like OBJ, in my opinion.

Don't got much more to say on this. :)