[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

is Percy Harvin overrated? In fantasy and the NFL broadcasters?

Papa Deuce

I think he is... probably more overrated by fantasy players. But I think he is not quite a good as the commentators like to make him out. Tonight is the 3rd game I have seen with Seattle this year ( though tonight I am just barely playing attention ), and they seem to gush over him. I get it; he's useful.

But where are the TD's? Where are the yards?

I was looking him up tonight on MFL, and his 2014 projections were 605 yards and 3 TDs. OK, so maybe other sites project differently, but has he ever had more than 6 TDs in a season?

From a fantasy perspective, I think he is rather average. He is much more valuable as an NFL player.

Edited by Papa Deuce

He has never had a 1,000yd season either. I am a Vikings fan so I saw a lot of him. He is a special talent. He has never had eye popping numbers but his value is undeniable. He has to be accounted for, you can see it when you watch Seattle. He opens things up even if he doesn't get a lot of touches. I wish we still had him. But I agree for fantasy purposes he isn't so great. And he is very much an injury risk

Edited by Finn5033

I blame the offensive coordinator / playcalling.

This could be a coincidence, but I've seen every Seahawks game this year and they have a more fluid offense when they get Harvin involved with jet sweeps/screens. A lot of their stalling and 3nout drives are ones where they totally ignore Harvin

He has never had a 1,000yd season either. I am a Vikings fan so I saw a lot of him. He is a special talent. He has never had eye popping numbers but his value is undeniable. He has to be accounted for, you can see it when you watch Seattle. He opens things up even if he doesn't get a lot of touches. I wish we still had him. But I agree for fantasy purposes he isn't so great. And he is very much an injury risk

He is an injury risk and not good in fantasy on the Seahawks team, but to say he wasn't good in fantasy in his time in Minnesota when healthy is just flat out wrong and he did have eye popping number in his last season in Minnesota until he got hurt.

You saw his speed on the three TD's that were called back. The mere fact that he can do that dictates the defense react to whatever he does, regardless of whether he has the ball. Right now, his primary value has been there. Carroll has hinted all season long that they have not really begun to use Harvin and that they have more plays for him they haven't called yet. I think they're using him lightly at this point in the season knowing his injury history. I look for them to not take the wraps fully off him until down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Edited by Tripleshot

I blame the offensive coordinator / playcalling.

This could be a coincidence, but I've seen every Seahawks game this year and they have a more fluid offense when they get Harvin involved with jet sweeps/screens. A lot of their stalling and 3nout drives are ones where they totally ignore Harvin

I couldn't disagree more with the bolded. Russel is more than an adequate pocket passer and tonight I thought they probably tried too hard to set up Harvin on bubble screens, hand-offs, and whatnot. They are more than capable in utilizing Kearse and Baldwin more in games; that was evidenced last season.

Edited by Bobby Brown

To be fair pre-season there were quite a few analysts saying he was over-rated according to his ADP. Matthew Berry being one because of the facts people make above about his injury history and lack of consistent production over an entire season.

The impressive performance in the season opener and his big "TD" against San Diego just made people value him higher before the fall.

He is an injury risk and not good in fantasy on the Seahawks team, but to say he wasn't good in fantasy in his time in Minnesota when healthy is just flat out wrong and he did have eye popping number in his last season in Minnesota until he got hurt.

Like I said, injury risk and never had eye popping numbers. I had him on my fantasy team his last year in MN. He played half a season and ended up with ok numbers because of it. Fantasy wise he is ok, as a real NFL player he is a hell of a player when healthy

I think Harvin's long plays that were called back last night were a metaphor for his fantasy production to date: he obviously has all the potential in the world and is close to making the jump to big-time player, but hasn't really turned that into great, consistent production yet. People see plays like that happen and mistake him for a dominant fantasy player which skews his projections and stuff like that

• Like 1