[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DeMarco Murray to have hand surgery

Big John

Before i jumped on the Randle bandwagon I would remember that he has excelled in a support role where he has the advantage of coming into the game to face a D-Line that has been pounded by Murray. Putting that support guy into the primary role doesn't always turn out as well as we thought or hoped. If there was no drop off from Murray to Randle then we would be seeing lots more of Randle. I suspect Murray is a better pass blocker and if Randle can't pass block then we might see the panicky Romo who throws interceptions.

• Like 2

I do remember that. The NFL doesn't believe that anymore. Just like MLB teams don't pitch their pitchers on 3 days rest anymore. Things have changed. The consensus in the NFL believes giving much more than 300 carries to a running back in a season wears him out. Look at the stats for the next year for running backs that get 400 carries. It's not good. Running backs complain, but coaches don't care. They do what they think is in the best interests of the team.

Jerry is the butt of many jokes and is so desperate that he will do anything to make the playoffs. It wouldn't surprise me if he sold his soul to the devil at the crossroads this last summer. Murray not being fresh for the playoffs or his long-term health is the last thing on Jerry's mind.

I don't agree. I believe there isn't a single NFL team that would not ride a single RB if there was a clear drop off between their top RB and the next RB. It is about more than an ability to run the ball. RBs have to be able to pass block and catch passes. I believe the only time we see RBBC is when an injury forces one -OR- no single back has distinguished himself from the others on the roster. NFL offenses are so pass happy these days that teams consider RBs to be plug and play.

• Like 1

I don't agree. I believe there isn't a single NFL team that would not ride a single RB if there was a clear drop off between their top RB and the next RB. It is about more than an ability to run the ball. RBs have to be able to pass block and catch passes. I believe the only time we see RBBC is when an injury forces one -OR- no single back has distinguished himself from the others on the roster. NFL offenses are so pass happy these days that teams consider RBs to be plug and play.

There is a clear drop-off from every other back on the Colts roster to Trent Richardson, yet he inexplicably gets carries. So I disagree.

Jamaal Charles has never had more than 285 carries. Matt Forte has only had more than 300 carries in 2008 (316). Lesean McCoy has only had 300 carries once (314 in 2013). So the 3 premier running backs entering this season had 2 seasons of 300+ carries between them out of 19 seasons. DeMarco Murray is on pace to have 401 carries and the 2nd most touches in NFL history.

Murrays young fresh and to this point unstoppable. Dallas is winning in a yr anyone that watches football expected them to do nothing. Theyd be insane not to ride him IMO

Jamaal Charles has never had more than 285 carries. Matt Forte has only had more than 300 carries in 2008 (316). Lesean McCoy has only had 300 carries once (314 in 2013). So the 3 premier running backs entering this season had 2 seasons of 300+ carries between them out of 19 seasons. DeMarco Murray is on pace to have 401 carries and the 2nd most touches in NFL history.

When Jamaal was healthy he got the carries.

Chicago shouldn't be used as an example under any circumstances, they are broken

Philly has had some nice support backs, like Sproles ...

When a team finds a stud work horse type RB they ride him ... Dallas is no different in that regard

Dallas is one team that can run first and be effective. And Randle is averaging 7.0 yards per carry. So the question isn't whether to pass more, it's whether to spread the carries out more.

The support back always has a high YPC ... that is fool's gold. And if Randle can't pass block or catches less effectively than Murray than he is performing his support role perfectly. If there was no drop off we would see more of Randle, simple as that. And lets not forget that the nature of Murray's injury isn't because he is being "over used" ... it is a fluke injury that could have happened on the first play of the season ... has nothing to do with the number of his carries.

• Like 1

I agree that is was a fluke injury not related to wear and tear. Though with more use, a player will get more fluke injuries. When I read preseason info, writers say Randle is good at both pass protection and receiving. Is that not the case?

:shrug: don't know ... but why should I doubt the coaching staff that sees them at practices and assesses player abilities and performance? If there is no drop off between Murray and Randle what advantage do the coaches gain by riding one back? No, I believe coaches are in the business of trying to win games and will utilize the players they think give them the best chance of doing so. There is no benefit in "preserving" one of your players if it puts wins at risk. And how many times have we heard coaches say that they can't worry about injuries. Coaching with the thought of not getting players injured is like running the prevent defense and losing the game.

I'm sure there is a dropoff. But not so much that is worth jeopardizing Murray's health. It seems Dallas is just focused on making the playoffs. A team playing to win the Superbowl would preserve their star running back more.

I don't think coaches think that way. They have to win the game in front of them and not worry about a game that may or may not happen in the future. Once a team has secured a playoff spot and/or their best seeding ... then, and only then, do they consider resting players. Too difficult to try to predict the future and coach for future events, coach the game in the here and now.

Coaches take no consolation from the fact that they preserved a player's health if they miss the playoffs or fall short in the playoffs.

Edited by Grits and Shins

I disagree. Teams try to win games, but not at the expense of having a fresh team for the playoffs. Good teams play to win the Superbowl. Teams used to tackle way more in practice. And it helped them early in the season. Then they realized their players would be worn down in the playoffs. It's a delicate balance trying to win in the present and preserving your team for the playoffs. Dallas isn't worried about that balance. DeMarco isn't the only elite running back of the last 20 years. But he is the only one that could have 450 touches in a year.

And coaches would still be having full contact practices ... except that the new CBA doesn't allow it. You made my point for me.

Does no good to peak at the end of the season if you don't have enough wins to make the playoffs. I think you are naive if you think coaches primary concern isn't winning the game in front of them and executing the best game plan they can develop utilizing the players they feel give them the best chance of success. I would bet you big money that if you could have a frank discussion with any NFL coach they would say the way to get to the superbowl is to win one game at a time -NOT- by developing a plan that ensures the safety of your players throughout the season so that -IF- you get to the post season you have a better chance. I suspect they will tell you that they do not concern themselves with games beyond the current week and certainly not games that may or may not happen in the future (especially if they lose the game in front of them).

This is ESPECIALLY the case in Dallas were decades of recent history have demonstrated that the Cowboys lack the ability to finish teams off. I challenge you to look up how many games over the last decades the Cowboys have lost after having a lead going into the 2nd half, 3rd quarter, 4th quarter. That history has created an attitude that they have to put the pedal to the metal and hold it there until the goal is reached. That means playing your best players to win the game now. It doesn't mean try to play conservative and win by the narrowest of margins so you can conserve player health.

... and I can just see that conversation with the team owner ... "Yeah I know we were in good shape, had the lead and all ... but I took the best RB out of the game to conserve his health ... and well then things got out of hand ... and well, we didn't mean to lose ... but look Murray is still healthy!"

And welcome back! It's good that you are back. And talking about football. You know football. Let's keep these good dialogues coming!

:shrug: This place isn't what it used to be ... I stopped by tonight mainly to talk Cowboys and waste a little time. I still think my days of participating here are mostly over.

With DeMarco out, I would rank Randle about the 15th best running back. Most fantasy teams can start 3 running backs. Not many teams have 3 top 15 running backs, even if they are in the championships. His biggest shortfall is that he may not get many receptions. I wouldn't start a lesser running back just cause he got me to the big dance.

EDIT: I just looked at a list of running backs. I'd actually put him about 10th. There are not many good running backs this year!

15th may be a possibility, but 10th I think is way optimistic, especially if you're counting on that type of production. If Murray is out I just don't think that Dallas will completely rely on Randle. He's not going to get the number of touches that Murray gets and he's not even close talent-wise.

I'll concede that Randle can probably be a good flex play for a team struggling to fill out their lineup, but if you're looking to rely on him for starter production because you had Murray then I think you already playing from behind.

Edited by rajncajn