[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any Intel on New Redskins TE Derek Carrier?

the outlaw

Aside from the basic info you can read online, does anyone have any in-depth intel on this guy? The TE position has been important to the Redskins in the past, and although with down field threats like D-Jax and Garcon, I don't really see them being able to go vertical this year with that paper mache o-line and happy-footed QB...my problem is I just simply don't know anything about him...

Apparently, this is his 3rd NFL season, but until the Skins acquired him from SF last week, to add depth following season-ending injuries to both Niles Paul and Logan Paulsen, I had never heard of him...if he's as athletic as the Redskins' are spinning him to be, he should push for playing time, especially being #2 behind the eggshell-fragile Jordan Reed...is there a hidden gem, here? I don't know...

Anyway, from a news article on the Redskins Official website, "Carrier’s stock in the NFL has never been higher. Coming into the league as an undrafted free agent in 2012, the tight end spent some time on the Philadelphia Eagles’ practice squad before playing sparingly in San Francisco for the past two seasons."

Rotoworld also speaks very highly of him (see Aug 21st entry)... http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7527/derek-carrier

They traded a conditional 2016 pick to acquire him, so we'll see...if anyone has any additional scouting reports on him, please post them here...thanks!

The Niners (with an inconsistent Vernon Davis and underwhelming Vance McDonald) let him go for what will amount to a bag of peanuts.

Pretty simple, they got themselves a young guy with some potential since Niles Paul went out for the year.

Dynasty stash? Sure. Redraft gem? Highly doubtful.

With that O-line and a fragile QB what makes you think the TE won't be staying in to protect?

oh, i'm not thinking that at all...there will need to be plenty of blocking, but there also will be plenty of need for a safety valve check-down receiver and they let their best 3rd down back (pass pro/receiving) walk in FA, so i think there's some opportunity, especially in ppr format...but, at the end of the day, i trust no one on this offense (in either the real or the fake game)...

oh, i'm not thinking that at all...there will need to be plenty of blocking, but there also will be plenty of need for a safety valve check-down receiver and they let their best 3rd down back (pass pro/receiving) walk in FA, so i think there's some opportunity, especially in ppr format...but, at the end of the day, i trust no one on this offense (in either the real or the fake game)...

The guy's #2 behind an injury-prone Jordan Reed. So yeah, there's some promise, I suppose. But there's a reason he's been cut by two teams and traded for next to nothing from a third.

• Like 1

I rode the Redskin TEs last year...

Never again.

Niles Paul showed a little bit of promise early last season, but definitely took a BIG decline in the second half of 2014 (although that can at least be partially, if not fully attributed to the 3-ring circus Gruden employed at QB)...he's certainly no Gronk (LOL), although I would definitely feel a lot better about the position in DC if he weren't already done for the season...

Edited by the outlaw

I was bummed we traded him. He has much better hands than V. Davis, and I thought he would be the top TE next year since I expect both VD and McDonald to be gone. Carrier is fast (4.55) and has good hands. The knock is he can't block as well as VD or McDonald and with our Oline in flux we traded him.