[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

online avatar images, a question

slambo

Hello dmd, ww, big john, hope I didn't miss anyone,

I was trying to input a url for an online avatar location. Bottom line the character length of the url was to long for the input field by about 8-9 characters. Is there any way that field can be modified to accept a longer character string?. :D

Or is there a workaround for that kind of situation?. Not complaining just curious.

regards :D

TimC Posted Aug 28, 2004 - 05:33 AM

Can't you just change the name to a shorter name.

Right click, save picture as, and name it whatever, then upload it to the huddle through the avatar settings. 

First off, I'm trying to link the file from an online source. I believe there is 50mb limit on an avatar file that you load. The file I'm trying to link is 200mb+ in size, meaning I can't load it, I have to link it.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to create a new shorter url name that points to the the actual url of the website I want to use. Hope that makes sense.

regards :D

slambo, I have a web site, but I am super computer lame. But, if you could load the thing into MY web site, and use my url? jst an idea, like I said, I'm very 'puter lame, but I know my site will support stuff like this. I just dont know how to load anything other than a jpg. PM me if interested....

Rovers Posted Aug 28, 2004 - 02:44 PM

slambo, I have a web site, but I am super computer lame. But, if you could load the thing into MY web site, and use my url? jst an idea, like I said, I'm very 'puter lame, but I know my site will support stuff like this. I just dont know how to load anything other than a jpg. PM me if interested....

I think it could be done two ways, download the file to someones web server and make sure the url address is short enough to fit the input field in the control section.

Or, just create a link on your server that points to the current location of the file I want to use. This would save space on your server if thats an issue. By the way, the file I'm dealing with is a 200mb+ animated gif file. I probably will PM you sometime after Monday. Its not a burning issue and I have a couple of drafts between now and then. Much Thanks for the offer!!! :D:D

regards B)

slambo, I have boatloads of space on that site. I got it for a buisness I was considering starting up....you'll laugh...a brewery! :D So it's plenty big. There was to be a chat, the whole nine yards, the brewery wont happen, but I kept the site. I think the best way to do this is to email me the avatar as an attachment. Then I could put it on the site and give you the url. The tricky part is knowing if this site will allow such a large file? If that isnt an issue, it should be easy to do. I save the attachment in my documents, and use Cute fft to download it to the site from there. That much I do know how to do. My avatar is set up like that now. That was also to be the logo for the Roscommon Rover Brewery. So PM me, and I'll give you my email when you're ready. Slainte! :D