[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

total solar eclipse

stevegrab

Anybody else taking in this significant event? I have taken the day off and will get together with a good friend. Thought I had experienced one as a kid before, but checking the records there doesn't appear to have been one while I was living in Los Angeles at that time. Probably a partial eclipse or maybe outside totality. 

my staff convinced me to close clinic for the duration.  Since they're the ones that control my schedule, it was just easier to agree.  I'll get some work done in the office, probably walk outside, stare directly at it, then go back in and try to work through the blindness.

• Haha 1

Well that was a lot of meh.  Nashville was covered in clouds so we only saw it for a few seconds during breaks.  At it's max, 95% total, it didn't even get darker. 

Well we has some thin clouds but it was still clearly visible, the time it went into totality was amazing, especially right before and after as the sun is hidden. As the sun became uncovered it was like a giant bright light with a shade being pulled back. To the naked eye even a tiny bit of sun looks like the whole thing, but with the special glasses you only see the portion that isn't covered. 

Then during totality there were things along the surface making wild lights, either as the sun shines thru valleys and such(bright white), or solar flairs(red). 

I believe I experienced one as a kid, without totality maybe in the 90% coverage zone. Totally different thing. 

Hmm, just now looked up the actual path.  No wonder it was lame here, we were hundreds of miles from the path of totality.  Damn employees got 1.5 hours of freedom.  Next time we have something cool I'm going to find tedious busy work for them to do.  Maybe I'll have them retype the OSHA books.

16 hours ago, 1fastdoc said:

Hmm, just now looked up the actual path.  No wonder it was lame here, we were hundreds of miles from the path of totality.  Damn employees got 1.5 hours of freedom.  Next time we have something cool I'm going to find tedious busy work for them to do.  Maybe I'll have them retype the OSHA books.

I find it amusing that many seemed interested in this event, but didn't even look at the basics like the path. I have a sister in Florida near Daytona, saying it barely got dark there. Well yes, you were hundreds of miles from it, not in totality. Even 25-30 miles south of me they were on the edge of totality, which is where things get really interesting. 

Here is a story from the local paper with plenty of pictures, I shot a 12 second video during totality and shared it with some family, they thought it was cool. (The sun of course didn't look right in that, more like a really bright moon, not the dark center and light ring on outside.) 

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2024/04/see-75-spectacular-photos-from-clevelands-total-solar-eclipse.html