[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Free Fantasy Advice Here - Week 13

Hugh 0ne

Hey Hugh,

I’ve lost 3 in a row, but still in 1st place at 9-4.  Playing against the hottest team in league right now (McNabb, JJones, Moss, Bennett, Gates).  I could knock him out of the playoffs.

Standard Scoring, * denotes starters

QB: *Hasselbeck @ Minn, Griese @ SD, Feeley @ Den

RB: *LT v. TB, Westbrook @ Wash, McGahee v. Clev, MFaulk @ Car

WR: *Owens @ Wash, *Walker v. Det, Williams @ GB, Branch v. Cincy

TE: *Wiggins v. Sea, Shockey @ Balt

K: Kasay v. STL, Brien @ Pitt

D: *Car v. Stl, Jets @ Pitt

I’m going to need a big game to win this week.  Here are my thoughts and questions.

1. Going with Hass, hopefully he can build on last week

2. No idea who to go with at my 2nd RB, McGahee disappointed last week, was leaning towards Westbrook (opponent has McNabb) but McGahee has a nice match up at home.  I am also trying to drop Faulk for Blaylock (Priest owner dropped him for Johnson) and won’t know until Friday.

3. Williams could have a big day @ GB, but I can’t see benching Walker

4. Do I go Kasay after last week or Brien who might get plenty of chances @ Pitt.

So I’m basically looking for thoughts on 2nd RB and K.

Thanks in Advance.

601018[/snapback]

Hey nhoops, 'sup? :D

I think you've got 'em all right except for the RB, and I know why you're leaning the way you are. You're putting a lot of weight on the fact that you started the wrong guy last week. Get over it. It's done. Westbrook will not outproduce McGahee this week mainly because of the matchups. Park Westbrook on your bench, you won't be sorry.

EDIT: :D

Edited by Hugh 0ne

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hugh,

First off I would like to thank you for all of the time you put in here to offer advice to everyone, I think DMD should have a Dear Hugh column on the front page just for this. But anyway on to my question. A buddy and I are both in the same leagues and we split all of our winnings from just about all of our gambling escapdes that we do. We have never done anything unethical in any of these, ie try to get trades with eachother to go through or "throw a game " when we have played eachother. With all of that being said, I am out of the playoffs and I pretty much drafted his team and have been setting his lineups for the majority of the season, we do talk about everything but I control it for the most part since he is internet dumb. We play in a league that uses standard scoring and starts 1QB, 2RB, 3TE, K and D. We also play head to head every week against everyone and the highest scoring team gets 9 points and the lowest scoring team gets 0 for the week. We are having a disagreement on who he should start at running back and 1 of his WR. I will list who I would start and who he would start and let me know what you would do. Thanks again and sorry for the lenghty message but I thought a little bit of background info might help here.

Mine                                  His

Manning                          Manning

Barber                            C Brown

C Taylor                          C Taylor

J Walker                          J Walker

R Moss                              R Moss

I Bruce                            D Branch

Vanderjagt                        Vanderjagt

Bears                                Bengals

Keep in mind he is playing against 3 other teams this week and the top 2 advance to play the other 2 teams that have a bye. This is a fairly big $$$ league as well $200 per entry and they only pay 1st and 2nd. They have also paid $25 per week for high weeks and he had 3 of those and finished in 3rd place 1 win out of 2nd and having a bye for this week.

Thanks again and good luck on the new one on her way. I see this didn't come out like I set it up to but I think you can figure it out, if not I can retype it so it is easier for you. Thanks again.

601026[/snapback]

I really can't answer the question completely, because I don't know all the options. Obviously Chris Brown is a better start than Tiki if Chris goes, but if he doesn't, than what. Do you have Antowain Smith? Do you have other options, because Tiki is not a good one imo.

Bruce will struggle against an improving Panther defense, but I never like starting Pats WR's. I'd go with Bruce, by a hair.

I'd start the Bears defense.

Good luck.

Hey Hugh,

Thanks for your help this year. I'm in the playoffs. I really am a mess @ WR. Here are my choices.....

Mason vs KC ( will start him)

Moss vs Seattle

Bureleson vs Seattle

Rice vs Minnesota

Doug Gabriel vs ATL

I'm a little scared of starting Moss, in fact I am considering dropping Burleson & picking up Marcus Robinson.  He might be a better start than Moss & Burleson. Rice is temting & so is Gabriel. It all seems like a crap shot though.

I just dropped Eric Johnson & picked up Freddie Jones. Good or bad move? Thanks for your advise.

601036[/snapback]

Good move at TE, nothing earth shattering though.

At WR, I'll assume you start 2, and Mason is th no-brainer. IMO, since your other options aren't great, you should start Moss, even with the health issues. They're playing at home, in what could be a very high scoring affair giving Moss many opportunities to do well.

Fred Taylor vs the Bears

Duece McAllister vs Cowboys

I am really up in the air on this one

1 point for every 10 yards rushing and receiving

6 points for td 1-9 yards

9 points for 10-29 yards

12 points for 30-49 and so on.

Thanks for your help.

601046[/snapback]

SIMPLE: Fred Taylor. He's been solid, and getting the rock a lot. Season high 27 last week, as Del Rio promised. If he gets 27 this week he will put up EXCELLENT numbers.

Hey Hugh, I might of double posted under another topic.

FA'Qs - 12 team performance league - My problem is in WR – I am guessing from your earlier posts you will favor: Clayton, Mason, and……who knows.. This league has a flex position of 3rd RB or 3rd WR.

Thanks for the time,

Stallion2

Current Starters

Collins, Kerry QB OAK @ ATL

Davis, Domanick RB HOU @ IND

Green, Ahman RB GB @ DET

Bryant, Antonio WR CLE @ BUF

Evans, Lee WR BUF @ CLE

Holt, Torry WR STL @ CAR

Tynes, Lawrence K KC @ TEN

Cardinals, DST DST ARI SF

Current Bench

Staley, Duce RB PIT @ NYJ

Clayton, Michael WR TB @ SD

Mason, Derrick WR TEN@ KC

Bulger, Marc QB STL @ CAR

TOTALS Active: 8, Reserve: 3, Injured: 1

Scoring for Offensive Categories

FG - Field Goals 3 points (Plus 1 point for 46 to 49, 2 for 50 to 54, 3 for 55 +)

Pa2P - Passing Two-point Conversion 2 points

PaTD - Passing TD 6 points

PaYd - Passing Yards 0+ PaYds = 1 point for every 20 PaYds

Re2P - Receiving Two-point Conversion 2 points

ReTD - Receiving TD 6 points

ReYd - Receiving Yards 0+ ReYds = 1 point for every 10 ReYds

Ru2P - Rushing Two-point Conversion 2 points

RuTD - Rushing TD 6 points

RuYd - Rushing Yards 0+ RuYds = 1 point for every 10 RuYds

XP - Extra Points 1 point

Hello Huddlers. I'm back. Here's the deal: This thread has become quite popular. Unfortunately, I have somewhat of a life and just don't have the time to answer every question. I feel bad when I see you guys take your time to ask me a question and I can't get to it. So, this week, I'm going to leave this thread open until it reaches 60 or 70 posts, and then I'll lock it. I will answer every question that is asked before I lock it. All the answers will be in a seperate thread named: Free Fantasy Advice - Week 13 - The Answers, so as not to increase the post count before I lock it. Your questions will be quoted in the Answer thread, so it should be very clear. In the answer thread, feel free to comment on my answers.

Let's see how it works this way.

Thanks and good luck.

Fire away. :D

600146[/snapback]

Good morning Hugh,

This may sound crazy, but here we go. I need to pick two QBs from this mess:

Brady v Cincy

Plummer v Dolphins

R-Burger v Jets

McCown (AZ) v SF

Ive been getting no production from these guys lately, believe it or not Im leaning toward McCown as one of the two starters. Please talk me off the ledge!

Thanks Hugh,

Gdawg  :D

601055[/snapback]

Wow, took me a sec to figure out how R-Burger was. :D

If you've read my thread before, you can probably guess that I'm going to tell you to bench Plummer.

McCown is actually, as scary as it sounds, your best option. Then I'd play the matchup.

CIN against the pass: 203 YPG, 19 TD's

NYJ against the pass: 191 YPG, 13 TD's

Go with Brady and McCown.

Hugh,

In a performance league who would you start:

C. Taylor vs. NYG or D. McCallister vs. DAL

Also, would you start M. Clayton vs. SD or J. Morton vs Ten.

Thanks for your help.

601056[/snapback]

Taylor and Clayton. No brainers imo.

Hey Hugh -

Playoff time....only one position question: Combo scoring WR and TE are equal ydg and scoring points only, none for receptions.

For my #3 slot:

Rice at Minn

Pollard at Hou

Patten vs Cincy

Burress vs Jets

Thanks for your advice each week - J Jones is a fixture in my line-up now!

601069[/snapback]

Burress ain't playing from what I've seen, so he's not an option.

I don't like NE WR's.

I don't like butt old WR's.

I don't like starting TE's in non TE leagues.

:D

Rice might be worth a shot. Dude's old, but looked good last week, and if anyone can make a WR look young it's probably the Vikes.

Hugh the man!  Thanks for the advice.

I think I may have a legit case for sitting a stud this week, see if you agree.

Deuce McAllister has really been pissing me off.  I'd like to bench him.  I have a playoff spot locked down already so there's really no harm in risk taking here.  The way I see it, if I sit Deuce I have 2 options to replace him:

1) Start M. Hicks in his place.  Hicks is starting against the 30th ranked rush D in the league and you just know he wants to prove himself. 

2) Start Chris Brown AND Antwain Smith.  Since Brown is always a gametime decision and when he starts never finishes a game, I figure I can take full advantage of the monday night at home matchup with KC by starting them both.  Then again, I don't have to have my roster set on Sunday, so I can always swap the starter in at the last second. 

I guess another option would be to start Hicks and Deuce, if you don't like either of the Tenn backs.

--------------

10 team league, traditional scoring

Start 1QB 3WR 2RB 1WR/RB 1TE

My roster: McNabb, J Walker, R Moss, L Evans, J Jones, C Brown, J Witten, D McAllister, R Williams, T Jones, M Hicks, N Burleson, A Smith, D Gabriel

601084[/snapback]

With Barlow being benched Hicks is an option. Tough call. Risky to start an unproven back over McAllister, very risky.

DAL Rush D: 113 YPG 10 TD's

AZ Rush D: 140 YPG, 8 TD's

Slight advantage Hicks. Not enough of an advantage for me to start Hicks over McAllister though. Nope.

Do not start 2 TEN backs. That'd be a mistake. If Brown starts, start him. Both times he was questionable and started he played well. If he doesn't go, start Smith. Starting them both will give you a good possibility of getting a zero from one of them.

Hugh thanks for the great advice to date this year.  here you go....

pick 2....

Portis @ PHI

Taylor @ CHI

S. Jackson (if healthy) @ CAR

Also would you start Burleson V SEA or Kennsion @ TEN along with Horn and Harrison. 

Again thanks for your help Hugh

601091[/snapback]

Taylor is the no-brainer.

Then Jackson if healthy.

Burleson. Good luck.

Hugh, Thanks in advance.  Hopefully you can get to this..

Pick my 2nd RB's for this week..

I'm starting J Jones vs New orleans..

Please pick my other RB to start, and why.

Nick Goings vs St Louis

R Droughns vs Miami

C Brown vs KC

Clinton Portis vs Phil

O Smith vs Seattle.

601096[/snapback]

Goings because of the matchup.

Droughns and Onterrio are good options as well, but Goings is hot and has the matchup.

Forget Portis, tough matchup.

Hi hugh,

I am in a TD only league. Like everyone else I need a win this week to get into the playoffs. My dilema is which RB to go with. I need to start two of the following:

Droughns (Den) vs. MIA

Hicks (SF) at ARI

Jones (Chi) at JAX

McAllister (NO) at DAL

Pittman (TB) at SD

Also I need to start 3 of the following WR's:

Bryant (Cle) at BUF

Holt (STL) at CAR

Horn (NO) at DAL

Walker (GB) vs DET

I am leaning towards Droughns & Pittman. I am starting to second guess myself with Hicks getting the start against Arizona. I am also leaning towards Bryant, Horn, & Walker. I have been fairly faithful about starting Holt, Horn, & Walker almost every week. But, last week I missed out on Bryant having a great day while Walker did nothing. Any insight and/or advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Your advice has been excellent!  Thanks for the help...

Please pick 2 of the following RB's:

Duece @ DAL - thinking of benching him

Brown vs KC - good matchup, but can he finish a game?

Pittman @ SD - tough matchup, but has been producing

Please pick 2 of the following WR's:

Ward vs NYJ - tough matchup, but I always struggle to bench him

McCardell vs TB - tough matchup, thinking of benching him

Givens vs CIN - who knows, thinking of benching him

Morton @ TEN - potential to produce, but hasn't done anything lately

Rice @ MIN - decent matchup, but was last week a fluke?

I'm leaning towards starting Brown and Pittman along with J. Jones; for WR's I am just not sure who to start alongside Jimmy Smith - Ward and Rice?

Standard performance scoring. Thanks Hugh!!

601102[/snapback]

Brown is a risk, and you won't know until Monday Night, so unless you have A. Smith, you can't take a chance imo, and while neither Pittman or Deuce are great options, they are both better than nothing.

Don't start Ward. No Burress + tough matchup = no production.

I don't like KC and NE WR's, so I'd go with Rice (I said it earlier: if there's a defense that can make someone look young it's probably the Vikes) and McCardell.

What 3 rbs Hugh?

S Jackson

T Bell

L Johnson

T Jones

A Smith

C Brown

Holmes on IR

I can also start a 3rd wr instead of a 3rd rb. Is Burress or J Smith a better option? Thanks man.

601114[/snapback]

Chris Brown or Antowain Smith. Leave a starting spot open for MNF, and start the starter and if it's Brown hope he finishes the game.

Bell and Johnson are on the short ends of the RBBC stick, so I'd bench them.

Make sure Jackson is OK, and I think he will be, and start him and TJ. TJ is not a good option, but what else can you do?

Oh, I see, you can start a WR. OK then, start Jimmy Smith instead of TJ alongside the TEN RB and Jackson.

Yep, that's the ticket.

Want to add Doug Gabriel...Who would you drop from the following:

Randy Moss

Santana Moss

Michael Clayton

Brandon Lloyd

Duece McAllister

Fred Taylor

Julius Jones

Kevin Jones

Jerome Bettis

Stephen Jackson

Brian Griese

Kerry Collins

As you can see....I need another WR. This is a 3 man keeper league.

Thanks for any advise.

Dale

Want to add Doug Gabriel...Who would you drop from the following:

Randy Moss

Santana Moss

Michael Clayton

Brandon Lloyd

Duece McAllister

Fred Taylor

Julius Jones

Kevin Jones

Jerome Bettis

Stephen Jackson

Brian Griese

Kerry Collins

As you can see....I need another WR.  This is a 3 man keeper league.

Thanks for any advise.

Dale

602170[/snapback]

Dale... I would drop Brandon Lloyd.... SF players suck IMO.

Hi Hugh,

WDIS at QB?

Palmer at NE: The light seems to have gone on for the young fella, and I have a feeling he's going to carve up the Pats.

Carr vs Indy: Stunk it up at Indy when these teams played 4-5 weeks ago. Does he have a big game in him with that sad receiving corp?

And surprise surprise, but Brooks at Dallas looks to be safest play from among the 3. :D

Whaddya think? I'm almost guaranteed of a PO spot, so wanted to take a shot at the points title by playing Palmer. Besides it's fun to make those gutsy calls. Should I pull the trigger or play it 'safe' with Brooks(I still get a chuckle out of safe and Brooks in the same sentence :D )

Sorry Hugh, I was trying to prevent you from having to answer 4 questions over Bryant and Houshmandazeh. :D

I also have a suggestion on the answering problem. Have all the questions due into you on Wednesday or they do not get answered.

Ok Hugh, you're picking the right players more than me so I need you this week,

Standard performance scoring - all td's 6pts. rush and rec 1pt every 10 yds. Need advice for W/R and R/B

Need 2 of four R/B's, JJ is one need the other

JJ - He's in for sure

DD

Blaylock

L.Johnson

Need two of the remaining fine - I'm starting Holt.

Ward

R.Williams - He has killed me lately

K. Colbert

B.Lloyd

L.Evans - Bledsoe has been looking his way recently

I'm in a tough spot with Q/B and am waiting to here on McNair or Volek. My other choice is Brady but I don't like his chances this week, I think Dillon will be getting it done without the passing game.

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks