[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pennington Press conference

Brentastic

Well, here is a copy-paste from the NY Post article:

FROM BAD TO MAD

by Steve Surby

December 20, 2004 -- CHAD Pennington showed up yesterday at Giants Stadium and played like he was mad at the world.

Turns out he was.

Mad Pennington (18-24, 253 yards) threw three touchdown passes and then had to be talked out of blowing off the fearsome New York media after Jets 37, Seahawks 14.

Media relations manager Jared Winley convinced Mad Pennington outside the Jets locker room to show up in the interview room, which means he tried to do his franchise quarterback right, and when Mad Pennington begrudgingly consented, he offered this solitary sound bite from the podium:

"Here's the way it's going to be: The difference today was that we executed, and for the first time in a long time offensively we set the tempo running the ball (229 yards) and passing the ball. We were able to get into a rhythm and we just kept it flowing, and the biggest thing we tried to concentrate on throughout the game as an offense was to not let up, not even breathe, don't let those guys breathe. Just keep going, keep pressing forward, keep mixing it up, both run and pass. And answer the play of our defense with our own good play by putting up some good points, and we were able to accomplish that both running and passing.

"Great win for us, and now we're excited about the future of our season. Kind of put the (9-7) ghosts of 2000 behind us, and got our 10th win, and went ahead and put that to bed, and we're excited about the last two games of the season now to build some momentum to the playoffs, and . . . actions speak louder than words. There's not a lot that needs to be said; there wasn't a lot that was said between players this week. It was just the look in their eyes, the look in my eyes, that, hey, we know what we have to do, we don't need to really talk about it. We know what we have to do on the field, it doesn't matter what you do off the field, what you say off the field. It matters how you perform on the field. And as veterans, we were able to step up and make some things happen, and it was a great win for us.

"That's my statement, and I'm sticking to it. Thank you."

Then Mad Pennington, who had granted one television and one radio interview, uncharacteristically stormed out of the room, took no questions, and in the tunnel where he greeted his family and posed for photographs with fans, someone asked why he would behave like this.

"Because I can," Pennington barked.

Wrong answer.

Mad Pennington is better than this, knows better than this. You throw three interceptions the previous week, people have a right to wonder if your arm is right, and note that you have lost your last three big games, the 2002 playoffs at Oakland, the Patriots and Steelers this season. No one assassinated his character. "I don't think I've seen him that motivated," Justin McCareins said.

Take that, Seahawks!

Take that, New York media!

If he plays the way he did yesterday, masterfully orchestrating Paul Attackett's offense, whipping the ball accurately to seven different receivers, Jet Nation won't care if Mad Pennington talks only with his arm. Hell, Joe Namath didn't talk to one beat writer for 10 years. He's human. It isn't always easy to play the part of Barney, especially in this town. But it makes you look smaller than you truly are; Child Pennington.

Wild and crazy Hackett, who actually flanked Mad Pennington left and snapped it to LaMont Jordan for 33 yards, was asked if this is the way his QB must play against the elite teams. "Absolutely," he said. "This is the way we have to play. This is playoff time. You've gotta show everything you've got now. There's no sense in laying in the weeds. We've gotta get on a roll." It's no time for thin skin.