[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

O.K. Discussion on the "other" AFC Game ?

Menudo

O.k. I must admit, that I am jealous. All of the talk and analysis is directed toward the Colts - Patriots game. I do agree that this is the game of the week with all of the sub-plots, but there is another game to be played in the AFC. I am still angered over JDRick's comment that the Colts and Patriots are clearly the two best teams in the NFL, but anyway, I digress. O.k. here is my take for those that care.

I know this will definitely have some black and gold slant to it, but I am a devoted Steeler fan and have seen them in this position many times. Unlike the AFC Championship games, Steeler teams have historically played well in this situation. The only time in somewhat recent history where they didn't come out playing well was in I believe 1992 when they got beaten badly by the Bills. I expect the Steelers to come out fired up. They had the bye week, they are as healthy as they have been in a while, and the one thing I think the Steelers have over every other team in the playoffs is depth, as was proven in their game against the Bills. The Jets did show some spark offensively last week against the Chargers, and that is a concern, but the Steelers should pressure Chad better than the Bolts did. Both of these teams are going to try to run, but like in the first time they met, I expect the Steelers to be more successful with it.

In the end, I think the Steelers have more talent than the Jets in all phases. However, these teams are know for playing ball control, which usually leads to close games. The Jets only chance, in my opinion, is to either get out to an early lead or have a +2 in the turnover category. I expect my Steelers to make sure neither of those happen. I expec the game to be close into the 4th quarter where the Steelers pull away.

Steelers 24

Jets 13

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been betting against the Jets for half a season no, and to my wallet's dismay, they have been proving me wrong over and over again.

Steelers win, but jets cover.

23-17

NB. Though I'm an impressive 28-17-3 in the betting league at thehuddle, when i actually put money on the games I tend to not listen to my advice, go for long shot bets, bet with my heart and as a result have pretty much lost my whole season's earnings in the last 2 weeks....

Menudo, my foolish friend - your crystal ball needs polishing.

When the Steelers have the ball - I admittedly did not see much of Rothlisberger this season, but in the one game I did see against the Jets, I came away unimpressed. The Jets shut down Pittsburgh's passing game, and Ben was 9 for 19, 144 yards, with 2 picks. I'm sure he's played better in other weeks, but he looked awful that day, most of his passes were off the mark. I'm hopeful that the Jets can duplicate that performance, or something close to it. Abraham missed that game also as I recall, so anything he brings will be gravy. And I know at the time Big Ben was in the midst of a string of games where he was taking alot of sacks, is this still the case? Even without Abrhaham, the jets can still bring pressure. But of course, the critical factor will be the Steelers running game, best in the NFL I believe, versus the Jets run "D", also near the top of the league. Last time around the Jets wore down in the fourth quarter against the Bus. This time around, I expect Cowher to go to Bettis earlier and more often, versus Staley, who was completely ineffective versus the Jets last time. With the Steelers rested and healthy, and the Jets coming off an overtime game and a cross-country trip, I am fearful that the Jets run defense could wear down in the fourth quarter, as they did last time.

Frankly, I see the Steelers scoring somewhere around the 17 points they posted last time. Where this game will be decided, in my mind, is when the Jets have the ball - can the Jets offense beat that number? As I mentioned on another thread, Hackett and Pennington both showed me something against the Chargers - the Jets came out throwing the ball early and often, and downfield as well. The wideouts were more involved in the gameplan than in any game this season, and I think they need to take the same approach against Pittsburgh this weekend. It'll be tougher because Pittsburgh rushes the passer much better than San Diego, but at the same time I don't think the Steelers' offense is as potent as San Diego's, so Pennington doesn't need to do as much. The Jets' rushing offense is also among the league's best, but we've not been able to run the ball all that well against stronger run defenses (Steelers, Patriots and Bills twice each). I expect to see the Jets take the same approach as against San Diego - throw it downfield early to loosen up the defense, which in turn will help create room to establish the rush and perhaps more importantly, the short passing game. Pennington is certainly throwing better now than he was last time these two teams met, and the Jets are also doing a better job of getting Lamont Jordan involved. Jordan seems to be able to find room even against the tougher run defenses, as opposed to CuMar, who as great as he is, seems more susceptible to being shut down than is Jordan. If the Jets can avoid turnovers, I think 20-23 points is within reach.

It'll be much like last game - tight game all the way between two teams who can both run the ball and who can both defend the run. Last time around, the jets dominated the second quarter, but came away trailing at the half 3-0 due to Pennington interceptions. The Jets showed more of the same this past weekend, as they prevailed in the early going against the Chargers, but suddenly found themselves trailing 7-0. They were able to bounce back and win the thrid quarter, and ultimately the game, but the Steelers are better than the Chargers. This is something I'll be looking for early - the Jets tend to come out strong in the first two quarters, but do have an alarming tendency of outgaining their opponents in the first half without turning that advantage into points. I gotta' be truthful here - if the Jets are not ahead at halftime, I don't like our chances much.

The key for both teams I think will be of course to avoid turnovers, but also to score touchdowns when the opportunity presents itself. In a tight game, which this one promises to be, getting 7 instead of 3 is going to make all the difference.

9 points is ludicrous, especially in a game where the over/under is only 34 I believe? Jets take a 10-3 lead into the lockerrom, then stretch it to 17-6 at the end of 3. They give us heart palpitations throughout the fourth quarter, but hold on to win 20-16.

Edited by Easy n Dirty

Menudo, my foolish friend - your crystal ball needs polishing.

When the Steelers have the ball - I admittedly did not see much of Rothlisberger this season, but in the one game I did see against the Jets, I came away unimpressed.  The Jets shut down Pittsburgh's passing game, and Ben was 9 for 19, 144 yards, with 2 picks.  I'm sure he's played better in other weeks, but he looked awful that day, most of his passes were off the mark.  I'm hopeful that the Jets can duplicate that performance, or something close to it.  Abraham missed that game also as I recall, so anything he brings will be gravy.  And I know at the time Big Ben was in the midst of a string of games where he was taking alot of sacks, is this still the case?  Even without Abrhaham, the jets can still bring pressure.  But of course, the critical factor will be the Steelers running game, best in the NFL I believe, versus the Jets run "D", also near the top of the league.  Last time around the Jets wore down in the fourth quarter against the Bus.  This time around, I expect Cowher to go to Bettis earlier and more often, versus Staley, who was completely ineffective versus the Jets last time.  With the Steelers rested and healthy, and the Jets coming off an overtime game and a cross-country trip, I am fearful that the Jets run defense could wear down in the fourth quarter, as they did last time.

Frankly, I see the Steelers scoring somewhere around the 17 points they posted last time.  Where this game will be decided, in my mind, is when the Jets have the ball - can the Jets offense beat that number?  As I mentioned on another thread, Hackett and Pennington both showed me something against the Chargers - the Jets came out throwing the ball early and often, and downfield as well.  The wideouts were more involved in the gameplan than in any game this season, and I think they need to take the same approach against Pittsburgh this weekend.  It'll be tougher because Pittsburgh rushes the passer much better than San Diego, but at the same time I don't think the Steelers' offense is as potent as San Diego's, so Pennington doesn't need to do as much.  The Jets' rushing offense is also among the league's best, but we've not been able to run the ball all that well against stronger run defenses (Steelers, Patriots and Bills twice each).  I expect to see the Jets take the same approach as against San Diego - throw it downfield early to loosen up the defense, which in turn will help create room to establish the rush and perhaps more importantly, the short passing game.  Pennington is certainly throwing better now than he was last time these two teams met, and the Jets are also doing a better job of getting Lamont Jordan involved.  Jordan seems to be able to find room even against the tougher run defenses, as opposed to CuMar, who as great as he is, seems more susceptible to being shut down than is Jordan.  If the Jets can avoid turnovers, I think 20-23 points is within reach.

It'll be much like last game - tight game all the way between two teams who can both run the ball and who can both defend the run.  Last time around, the jets dominated the second quarter, but came away trailing at the half 3-0 due to Pennington interceptions.  The Jets showed more of the same this past weekend, as they prevailed in the early going against the Chargers, but suddenly found themselves trailing 7-0.  They were able to bounce back and win the thrid quarter, and ultimately the game, but the Steelers are better than the Chargers.  This is something I'll be looking for early - the Jets tend to come out strong in the first two quarters, but do have an alarming tendency of outgaining their opponents in the first half without turning that advantage into points.  I gotta' be truthful here - if the Jets are not ahead at halftime, I don't like our chances much.

The key for both teams I think will be of course to avoid turnovers, but also to score touchdowns when the opportunity presents itself.  In a tight game, which this one promises to be, getting 7 instead of 3 is going to make all the difference.

9 points is ludicrous, especially in a game where the over/under is only 34 I believe?  Jets take a 10-3 lead into the lockerrom, then stretch it to 17-6 at the end of 3.  They give us heart palpitations throughout the fourth quarter, but hold on to win 20-16.

650078[/snapback]

Thanks for the analysis. I found it interesting. It is clearly wrong, but is is interesting.... :D

LOL, I understand.  But would you rather be playing the Colts this week???  Or would you rather have the Jets?

650030[/snapback]

What a silly question. Of course I would rather play the Colts. They are 2 point underdogs to the Patriots, who the Steelers had no problems with earlier this year. Also, they are a dome team who can't handle the cold. I'd take the Colts over the Jets in a second..... :D:DB):D:DB):yay::moon::moon::moon:

P.S. Trust me, I am not taking the Jets lightly, but I am glad the Steelers

are playing them and not the Colts / Pats this weekend.