[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If anyone out there likes Rugby

The Darkside

Never really seen any mention of Rugby on this board, so i'm not sure if anyone else here is a player or member of a club, but if you are you might be aware that the fox soccer channel is thinking about not showing as much or any rugby in the future, god forbid they actually show a sport where guys actually do not fake it when they get hurt, but anyway if you are a fan of rugby and would like to see a all rugby all the time channel then take a look at this survey.

http://www.therugbychannel.com/

I dont mind soccer, hell i think they might be the most talented athletes on the planet, i watched a clip of some guy in the champions league kick the ball out of mid air and bend the *** thing in the far corner of the goal, that to me is insane, how they can do that on the fly.

the thing i dont like is that most times it does not even take a bit of contact to make these guys start acting like they have been shot, arms flaying, writhing in pain as if they were about to take there last earthly breath then the trainers carry them off the field, take out the magic silver spray can, give the "injuried" area a few shots and they are as good as new.

so either they were faking or what ever is in that silver can is the greatest invention in medical history, one spray and the apparent "broken leg" is healed

:D

the numbers are there positions

1. prop 9. scrum half

2. hooker 10. standoff

3. prop 11. winger

4 &5 - second row 12 inside center

6&7 - flankers 13 outside center

8- eight man 14 winger

15 fullback

1-8 are the forwards, usually the bigger players,more physical,lots of contact the rest and called backs, usually the faster players, more skilled at attacking with the ball and kicking the ball.

most countries that are involved with rugby have websites, the USA Eagles have a not bad one as does rugby canada, checkout New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, England, France, Wales, Ireland, these countries and the main nations

Edited by The Darkside

Here is another sport for ya..... hurling. No, it's not a drinking game, it's sort of soccer with a ball the size of a baseball, and a wooden stick, sort of a cross between a baseball bat and a hockey stick.... more like a woman's lacrosse stick, if you know what they used to look like. You can run with the ball in your hand, but not for long, you have to carry it most of the time on this paddle-like stick. You can toss the ball in the air and whack it too, like stickball, but if the ball is on the ground, you have to pick it up with the stick. You can also whack it when it's on the ground.

These sticks are pretty hefty. There is no rule that says you can't lift it over your head.... and injuries are more than just commonplace, broken bones, legs, noses, you name it, happen every game. It has to be the most injury plagued sport on the planet, strictly for people who want to get hurt! It seems that only the Irish are stupid enough to play it. A clean swing of that stick on a leg will break the shinbone. Unlike soccer, there are no offsides, or many other rules for that matter.

Another cool game is Gaelic football. Something of a mix btween soccer, rugby, with a dash of American football thrown in. Another VERY rough game.

How about Australian Rules Football? I believe it might be similar to gaelic football. I also have heard it compared to ultimate freesbie, but with tackling.

If anyone was around and watching ESPN in the 80's you probably remember the two guys at each end in white lab coats signaling a goal or a behind. Great sport, anyone can play it, and is a great way to keep in shape.

Here is another sport for ya..... hurling. No, it's not a drinking game, it's sort of soccer with a ball the size of a baseball, and a wooden stick, sort of a cross between a baseball bat and a hockey stick.... more like a woman's lacrosse stick, if you know what they used to look like.  You can run with the ball in your hand, but not for long, you have to carry it most of the time on this paddle-like stick. You can toss the ball in the air and whack it too, like stickball, but if the ball is on the ground, you have to pick it up with the stick. You can also  whack it when it's on the ground.

These sticks are pretty hefty. There is no rule that says you can't lift it over your head.... and injuries are more than just commonplace, broken bones, legs, noses, you name it, happen every game. It has to be the most injury plagued sport on the planet, strictly for people who want to get hurt! It seems that only the Irish are stupid enough to play it. A clean swing of that stick on a leg will break the shinbone.  Unlike soccer, there are no offsides, or many other rules for that matter.

Another cool game is Gaelic football. Something of a mix btween soccer, rugby, with a dash of American football thrown in. Another VERY rough game.

714202[/snapback]

i've seen a bit of hurling and that might be the scariest sport in the world, it makes lacrosse look like ballet, guys with big paddles swinging for a homerun everytime, the ball travels at mach 3 and if i remember no helmets and very little padding, you dont stay healthy for long in that game.

I was a winger at U of I in the club for a bit...My last game I seperated my shoulder and then concussed myself and I called it a career.

I remember waking up on the sidelines and a warm can of Old Style was being shoved in my face.

Oh, the memories.

714850[/snapback]

most of the time the game itself is seconadary to the festivities after the game, i think that must be the only reason i've played as long as i have. :D

the numbers are there positions

1. prop                                9. scrum half

2. hooker                            10. standoff

3. prop                                11.  winger

4 &5 - second row                12 inside center

6&7 - flankers                      13 outside center

8- eight man                      14 winger

15 fullback

1-8 are the forwards, usually the bigger players,more physical,lots of contact the rest and called backs, usually the faster players, more skilled at attacking with the ball and kicking the ball.

most countries that are involved with rugby have websites, the USA Eagles have a not bad one as does rugby canada, checkout New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, England, France, Wales, Ireland, these countries and the main nations

714056[/snapback]

oh cool, thanks. You just saved me lots of time searching for that crap.

How about Australian Rules Football?  I believe it might be similar to gaelic football.  I also have heard it compared to ultimate freesbie, but with tackling.

714480[/snapback]

it's different than rugby? Their ball looks the same.

How about Australian Rules Football?  I believe it might be similar to gaelic football.  I also have heard it compared to ultimate freesbie, but with tackling. 

If anyone was around and watching ESPN in the 80's you probably remember the two guys at each end in white lab coats signaling a goal or a behind.  Great sport, anyone can play it, and is a great way to keep in shape.

714480[/snapback]

Yep, Australian rules football is the closest thing to Gaelic football. In rugby, you can never toss or move the ball forward, you can only lateral it backwards or hand it off. In the Aussie and Irish versions, you can do stuff like punch the ball forward, towards the opposing team's goal line. I don't pretend to be knowledgable on any of these sports, but have always enjoyed watching them.

it's different than rugby?  Their ball looks the same.

715303[/snapback]

the ball is very similar and Rovers did a pretty good job describing it. You move the ball forward by hand-passing (similar to a volleyball serve), and also by kicking it. Check out the link below if you are interested, I know there is a team in CA the Orange County Bombers that is one of the better teams in country as far as US footy goes. Sorry if I am stealing the rugby thread.

Aussie Rules (Footy)