[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rudi to Sign Franchise Tender for $6.3MM

Bengal Mania

Smart Move for Rudi, I think

From Bengals.com website:

Rudi to accept tender

3-1-05, 2:30 p.m.

Bengals running back Rudi Johnson said Tuesday he would accept the team's one-year tender of $6.3 million and will play in 2005. He's expected to sign the deal Wednesday, but is still seeking a long-term deal with the Bengals. The club won't comment officially until Johnson signs the contract.

Johnson had indicated he would sit out the season if he couldn't get a long-term deal, but said Tuesday, "It is what it is. I'm just going to play. It's what I do best."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If Rudi wants a long-term deal w/ Cincy (which he says he wants), I think signing now is the best option, because the team is now stuck w/ the salary unless they negotiate a long-term deal.

Whether or not it's in his best interest long term, I think he's smart to sign the deal. There's too many other RBs looking for new homes, etc., to try to stage a holdout. And if the Bengals don't give him a deal, then at least he got paid well this year.

Yeah, it's in his best interests to sign this right now. If he plays his cards right, he still could get that long-term contract he wants.

What I don't understand, is if the Franchise tag guaratees a one year wage equal to the average of the top five salaries at the position the franchisee plays, how come Rudi's Franchise contract will = 6+ million and Edge's Franchise contract will = 8+ million? They're both RB's so how come the rather large discrepancy in money?

Anyone got the answer?

Cincinatti should've just signed him for the long term contract that Rudi wanted. He's a Pro Bowl RB and he is the only Pro Bowler who even wants to be a Bengal other than that awesome CB dou of Deltha O'Neal and Tory James. Man those guys deserve a :D and a high five from Puddy :D

I believe it's average of the top 5 OR 20% bump over what you got last year, whichever is higher.

716743[/snapback]

That makes sense. I know Charles Woodson got the 20% bump as he was Franchised consectutive years. So it follows and makes sense that if Edges just expired contract exceeded the top 5 avg., he'd be due the 20% bump.

Thank you Czarina.