[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Skins sign David Patten

One of the better signings in recent years for the Skins. A good quality player that's in his prime, and they didn't pay him three times his worth.

Maybe Snyder's finally getting it.

720190[/snapback]

You a funny guy. Snyder doesn't get Athenae.

I am ok with that signing. I am a little bummed we didnt get Pierce signed though.

720115[/snapback]

maybe Michael Barrow will finally play this yr.

720115[/snapback]

Right on.

David Patten is old. The Pats got great play from him because he fits their system so well. He's past his prime and on a team who does not throw the ball he is worthless because he is not a blocking WR.

He will have 25 catches or less this year.

BTW - Somari Rolle $10mm???? Yeah, Snyder REALLY gets it.

Patten got 5 Years, $13M with $3.5M up front.........

I wouldn't say he came cheap.

He will be 31 when the season opens and has been a good receiver, not great.

Mason got something like 20M for 5 yrs.

If Patten gets the same amount of years, with an average of just 1.4M less a year than Mason...........

That seems a little high to me.

Edited by Patsfan04

720651[/snapback]

He's never had more than 61 catches. He has averaged less than 30 catches a year in his career. He's average at best.

Patten got 5 Years, $13M with $3.5M up front.........

I wouldn't say he came cheap.

Mason got something like 20M for 5 yrs.

If Patten gets the same amount of years, with an average of just 1.4M less a year than Mason...........

That seems a little high to me.

720651[/snapback]

Completely agree. My main memory of Patten was drafting him late in 32 Homers when I mistakenly thought I was taking David Givens.. and then having Patten inexplicably outperform Givens all year.

He's nice to have around, and I'd take him as a 3rd-4th WR, but not at that kind of money.

David Patten is old.  The Pats got great play from him because he fits their system so well.  He's past his prime and on a team who does not throw the ball he is worthless because he is not a blocking WR.

He will have 25 catches or less this year.

BTW - Somari Rolle $10mm????  Yeah, Snyder REALLY gets it.

720602[/snapback]

Where did you here that the Skins had signed Rolle? I heard he was meeting in KC today.

If you think about it, the Skins have given #1 WR money to a #2 Receiver (Coles) and #2 WR money to a #3 Receiver (Patten).

IMHO, not very good work of their WR budget over the last couple years.

720993[/snapback]

What type of money would you pay a #2?

What type of money would you pay a #2?

720994[/snapback]

Not sure, but the money they gave Coles, he was expected to be a stud. 1200 yds and 6 TDs in '03 and 950 and 1 TD in '04 is probably not what Washington was expecting.

They took a risk after 1 great year with the Jets in 02, hoping he would be a stud, and gave him stud money.

Now, they have given an OK receiver, a #3 guy (Patten) $1.4M less than what Mason is getting, meaning they probably overpaid there as well.

Now, they are trying to get rid of Coles.

Edited by Patsfan04

:D Guys come on now. You have no idea how the contract is structured. It's most likely backloaded. Plus given the current WR problems in D.C. ie... Coles - Gardner, they needed a WR quick. And every other free agent WR on the market worth a crap would have cost twice what they gave Patten. Given the chance I think he could be solid. Last year his stats were, 44 catches 800 yards 18.2 YPC and 7 TDS. 18.2 YPC and 7 TDS is pretty good for a third WR. :D

P.S. I sure D. Mason got a much bigger signing bonus and a lot more money within the first two years of his contract.

The reason he had 7 TDs in becasue Branch, Givens, Brown and Johnson were all hurt for stins this year. This is also a pass happy offense where a little guy gets a lot of opporunities to make plays.

He had 3 catches in the playoffs.

I don't care what reason he got the 7 TDs. I Just care that he got those TDs. He's fast and can get seperation. Which Redskins WRs struggled to do last year. I know Patten will give everything he's got on every play. Another reason I like the Redskins getting Patten is watching Rod Gardner the entire season struggle to make the catch on a buttonhook :D

I don't care what reason he got the 7 TDs. I Just care that he got those TDs. He's  fast and can get seperation. Which Redskins WRs struggled to do last year. I know Patten will give everything he's got on every play. Another reason I like the Redskins getting Patten is watching Rod Gardner the entire season struggle to make the catch on a buttonhook :D

721396[/snapback]

You tell em brotha.

I don't care what reason he got the 7 TDs. I Just care that he got those TDs. He's  fast and can get seperation. Which Redskins WRs struggled to do last year. I know Patten will give everything he's got on every play. Another reason I like the Redskins getting Patten is watching Rod Gardner the entire season struggle to make the catch on a buttonhook :D

721396[/snapback]

Not arguing that he's a nice player and I'd take him on my team any day. Just that (as usual) the Redskins way overpaid for a player.