[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sports populatity

Homey123

Does the media make a sport popular or the opposite?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Does the media make a sport popular or the opposite?

• The media coverage tends to makelow profile sports popular
    • The media tends to respond to public interest; the low profile sport was already getting more popular by word of mouth

Case in point...the Women's NCAA Tourney

Five years ago or so, it hardly got any media coverage. Now, there's quite a bit.

My personal take is that the media got it into its head that the Women's NCAA is worthwhile and starting stuffing it down our throats rather than the public got interested and demanded more coverage.

This poll applies to any low profile sport that is increasing in coverage and popularity (X-Games?).

What do you think?

The only time you hear about "lesser" sports is when there is a local rooting interest, or a bit of prestige attached to an accomplishment.

For instance, here in Seattle, Washington's women's bball team was good (I think) last season, but I'll assume they aren't good right now because I don't remember seeing anything about them recently.

You will hear on the nightly news or in the paper that UConn (or whoever) who is going to the Final Four, or that Pat Summit won her 900th game (or whatever), but I don't know if I would characterize it as being stuffed down a throat.

Maybe your area is hosting or has a good team this year?

From what I understand, nobody cared about the NFL in the 50s when the few teams played in baseball stadiums. Despite the low interest, the TV networks put the games on the air and continued to do so.

I may be wrong, but seems to me a pretty clear example of the media being out in-front of public interest. In the 50s, baseball was the game based on the actual game attendance. The NFL being completely designed and structured for TV has benefited from the growth of television. The gate is relatively meaningless, as a team in a horrible low market geography can still thrive.

Edited by gspot

I may be wrong, but seems to me a pretty clear example of the media being out in-front of public interest.  In the 50s, baseball was the game based on the actual game attendance.  The NFL being completely designed and structured for TV has benefited from the growth of television.  The gate is relatively meaningless, as a team in a horrible low market geography can still thrive.

731054[/snapback]

While I agree that the growth of television and the popularity of the NFL go hand-in-hand, college teams had been drawing large crowds for decades before TV.

The same thing happened with the NBA in the 80s, finally competing with the college version of the game in terms of fandom.

Women's basketball seems to be following this trend to a degree. It's popular in places at the collegiate level, and beginning to take hold in some degrees on the pro level.