[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL may expand instant replay

Piranha

I don't understand how they can make this change. If the whistle is blown, players are supposed to stop hitting. If the ball is loose, and the whistle is blown, is the whistle supposed to be ignored? I can see some late hit penalties if they make this change. While I hate the down by contact rule when the refs blow the call, I dont see how this can work. They would have to add a rule that players won't get flagged for continuing play on a lose ball after the whistle, or something.

The other thing is a proposal KC put out there, and I see problems with that too. They want pass interference calls to be a 15 yard penalty, as collge does it, but with a "flagrant foul" sort of thing that the ref can call, which would place the ball at the spot of the foul. I can only imagine how many questionable calls would result there. Would it be reviewable? Bad idea. These refs blow enough calls already, having them decide which interfernce calls are flagrant and intentional opens a whole can of worms, IMO.

There are a few problems with changes they are proposing this year.

The whistle thing is a problem, as it will increase the amount of late hits.

On the other hand, in another article, I read they want to get rid of the away from the ball hit, like Sapp's from a couple years ago. That is a total judgement call, what if someone lets up from cleaning someone's clock, and that person catches up to the ball carrier and causes a fumble? The point is, how does the ref know when someone is really "away from the play".

The 15 yard interference thing is another judgement call.

Was the pass interferance really intentional?

Yes - Use original rules (spot of foul)

No - 15 yds or less

The more rules that require a judgement call, the more complaints there will be.

I think I know what they are trying to fix with the down by contact - whistle blown....

I have seen many examples where the call is so easy to make (knee was down), but the refs let the play go and they seem to rely on instant replay to make the correct call. So, if the wistle blows, no chance for Ins.Rep., if I hold the wistle, even though I am 99.9% sure I just saw the knee down, the play continues and it will be correct on the Ins.Rep.

This causes coaches to waste instant replays on plays that are so obvious, but the ref didn't want to blow the whistle.

Edited by Patsfan04