[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My first trip to the Masters

lkirc

I went to my first Masters yesterday and I must say that it was quite a treat.

The day started meeting my buds here in ATL at 5:30 AM for the drive to Augusta. I had mixed up some of my Bloody Marys and told them they were available when they were ready to start drinking. They immediately passed cups back and the drinking began at 5:30 AM. A new record for me! BTW...FRIS vodka is pretty good stuff.

We drove to Augusta and ran into the weather. Play was delayed and the course didn't open until 12:30. We relaxed and had some breakfast and went in at 12:30. The three of us got in line for beers and sandwiches. You get a choice of regular, light or imported beer. We each got a import (it turned out to be heiniken) and went to the sandwich area. You choose between Egg salad, Ham and Cheese, Tuna, Chicken Breast, and Pimento Cheese. we each got two. I said I would get the first round, so I pulled out my wallet and braced myself. The cashier said "$15.50". I told her that I was getting all of it. Not just mine. She again said, "It is only $15.50 for all of it". I am used to $7 beers and $5 hot dogs at Turner Field and almost crapped myself.

We then ventured out to the course. What a visual treat. TV does not even come close to doing this place justice. The undulations on the greens and fairways are much more pronounced than you can see on TV. Each green looks like a snapshot of a sheet blowing in the breeze. I have played top notch courses all over and have never seen anything like the greens at Augusta. It is obvious that you have to land your shot in the right quadrant of the green or you can forget about getting par. The fairways are similar. you have to know where to aim to get maximum roll and keep the proper angle for the current pin placement. If someone wins the Masters, I can honestly say that they have earned every penny. A true test of the entire game.

The course is beautiful, but in a mostly understated way. None of the plants or buildings interfere at all with the spectator's view of the course. Almost every viewing area gives the "patron" a view of at least one green, one approach shot and one tee box. Usually it is more. The 13th green is the most beautiful golf scene I can even imagine. Surrounded around the back and sides with four cavernous white bunkers and 1600 blooming azalea plants of all different shades. Unreal!

We sat at Amen corner after walking the entire course. We watched approaches come in on the 490 yards par four 11th. Watched tee shots off the 155 yard par three 12th and watched them putt out on 12 and tee off on the par 5 13th. Awesome! Gary player hit the shot of the day at 12, knocking it to 3 feet for birdie. Ben Crenshaw putted from the front of the 11th green past the hole and into the water. I had never seen a pro do that.

The 11th green was amazing. They used a lot of Sunday pin placements and 11 was no execption. No one made a putt longer than six feet and many missed from well inside the distance. Every one who putted there read the green the same and they all read it wrong. Really a joy to watch.

I could go on and on, but I will say that if you like golf even a little and get a chance to go to Augusta, do it. You will never forget it.

Edited by lkirc

:D

One of the guys in my regular 4some was there Tuesday for the practice round. We'll be teeing it up together tomorrow, I'm sure I will hear about it all day.

I am going to tell him I don't want to hear it unless he has a hat for me. :D

:D

One of the guys in my regular 4some was there Tuesday for the practice round. We'll be teeing it up together tomorrow, I'm sure I will hear about it all day.

I am going to tell him I don't want to hear it unless he has a hat for me. :D

771090[/snapback]

Don't be too hard on him if he doesn't have a hat for you. While the food and beer is cheap, they are very proud of their merchandise. A decent hat was $35. A shirt for my wife was $69. They were selling umbrellas on a rainy day for $42!

so ikirc, were you anywhere close to the 16th today or the ending?

772708[/snapback]

Nope. I just got to go on Thursday. Not that I had a chance to go yesterday, but I think I would rather be watching the final round on TV. The crowds are so heavy on the weekend, that you can't see much and it is hard to know what is going on.

For example, the people who saw the chip in at 16 probably had no chance at seeing anything on 17 or 18.

How did you get tickets?

777905[/snapback]

A guy I know at work and play golf with knew that I had never went. He grew up in Augusta and his family has tickets. He called me one day and asked me if I wanted to go. Ummmmm.......yeah.

Pretty cool guy. Will always be #1 in my book from now on.