[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Biggest Reason I hate this time of year

Bengal Mania

From Bengals.com

6/8/2005 - 6 a.m.

BY GEOFF HOBSON

CHAD FLAP?: Chad Johnson has said it this spring time and time again whenever he’s been asked about his contact; he doesn’t plan to sit out. He doesn’t think you can play football and think about money at the same time and he says he plans on playing football this year.

But Drew Rosenhaus, his agent, recently told ESPN.com that his client is “sorely underpaid.” Asked by bengals.com Tuesday if he would take the issue to management, Rosenhaus said, “I’m not going to say anything about it. It is what it is.”

It does look like Rosenhaus is going to take a different approach with Johnson’s contract than the tack taken by another of his clients. Eagles wide out Terrell Owens, who just signed a mega contract last year, is threatening a holdout even though the ink of his signature isn’t even dry.

Rosenhaus apparently got a chilly enough reception from the Bengals early on in this offseason that he hasn’t made a federal case out of Johnson’s $26 million extension that runs through 2009 and was signed in mid-November of 2003. And while Johnson has given all indications he’s playing in 2005, Rosenhaus’s comments could be viewed as a signal that this upcoming offseason is already going to be interesting.

Johnson is one of several NFL players, including fellow Bengals receivers Kelley Washington and Peter Warrick, that left their agents this past offseason to sign up with the Miami-based Rosenhaus. The extension had been negotiated by Johnson’s original agent, Jerome Stanley.

According to one salary survey, Johnson is stacked up against wide receivers like Randy Moss (eight years, $75 million) Marvin Harrison (seven years, $67 million), Eric Moulds (six years, $38.2 million), Torry Holt (six years, $41.3 million), Terrell Owens (seven, $48.7 million), Joe Horn (five, $37 million), and Chris Chambers (five, $30 million).

But how much of that real money will those players see in the back end of those deals? The Bengals would argue Johnson is going to see all of his $26 million. Except for Chambers, those other wideouts have done it longer than Johnson. The Bengals gave it to Johnson early with a total of $10.5 million guaranteed in that November of 2003 contract, after he had made just 145 career catches for 11 touchdowns and before he was named to his two Pro Bowls and won two AFC yardage titles.

But in his interview with ESPN.com, Rosenhaus chose the Nate Webster situation to illustrate why calling for a new contract so early in a deal shouldn’t be viewed in such a hostile manner.

“This week, the Cincinnati Bengals approached me about Nate Webster," said Rosenhaus, who re-did a one-year deal for the injured middle linebacker last month. "We just did a five-year contract for Nate (in March of 2004). Last year he popped his patella tendon. They go out and draft another guy to replace him, he's not doing well and they want to cut him. But for me to go to them and ask them to redo Chad Johnson's contract – who's sorely underpaid – that's unbelievable. Why? Why? If contracts can be cut, why can't they be raised? Explain that to me.”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This time of year takes a lot of joy out of football. I actually try to wait 'til after the contract sh!t is done before I get real deep in my home team.

Un-freakin believable. Let's hope this is the year Bengals, fans. 'Cuz next offseason, Chad (actually his agent) is gonna challenge Marvin and the Bengals on this. Any success by the team this year will probably make it even worse.

All agents are tools, but Rosenhaus is a big one. His comparison to the Nate Webster made me choke!

"Sorely underpaid"...wow.

My guess is Marvin tells Chad to shut up and show up, or return his signing bonus and feel free to leave.

If contracts can be cut, why can't they be raised? Explain that to me.”

834881[/snapback]

Has he never successfully negotiated a better contract for anyone? What kind of stupid comment is this. It is the same reason why employers can just walk into their employees office and tell them they aren't needed any more for whatever reason. That is part of life in the NFL and elsewhere (except elsewhere involves a fraction of the $) ... if he wants to play the TO game and try to get a better deal than go ahead ... hopefully more owners will start saying "no thanks play for your contract or don't play".

Chad has stated there will be no holdout,and that his agent doesn't run him.

No holdout for CJ

835938[/snapback]

Good for Chad :D

I get so sick of these morons holding out and bitchin' about more money. Rosenhaus is total jerk-off. Someone wrote here a while back about him being the cancer of the NFL, how true.

Hopefully some players take note of Chad doing it right here. TO maybe?