[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Taylor vs. Hopkins

Shotgun Messiahs

Pick your Champion.  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your Champion.

• Jermain Taylor (23-0)
    • Bernard Hopkins (46-2-1)

At Las Vegas (PPV), 12 rounds, for Hopkins' WBC, WBA, IBF, and WBO middleweight titles, Bernard Hopkins (46-2-1) vs. Jermain Taylor (23-0); 12 rounds for Larios' WBC super bantamweight title, Oscar Larios vs. Wayne McCullough; 12 rounds, super flyweights, Fernando Montiel vs. Eric Morel.

I think it's time for Hopkins to retire and time for a new champion. And Taylor has what it takes.

Edit to add if any of you get a chance watch this fight in August.

Aug. 6

At St. Petersburg, Fla., 12 rounds, for Lacy's IBF and Reid's IBO super middleweight titles, Jeff Lacy vs. Robin Reid.

Edited by Shotgun Messiahs

:D I just don't think Taylor is quite ready. He's still a little rough around the edges and mechnically not nearly as sound as Bernard. This fight has been hurried along with Bernard saying he wants to retire soon, and this is one of the big fights he could make with Taylor being the "heir apparent". Taylor is a great talent with good punching power, and I do think he will rule the Middle-Weight division eventually, but I just think Bernard's savy and ring generalship will be a bit too much for Taylor at this point. Bernard will frustrate the young Taylor in route to a decision win.

Edited by Hitman

This was a tough spot for Taylor. He was pushed by Bernard due to Bernards age. Bernard is a crafty veteran but I do give Taylor a chance because hes a huge talent. In the end I give the nod to Hopkins because of his experience. It will be a great fight though. If Hopkins was younger and Taylor couldve gotten a few more big fights under his belt it wouldve been better but its still a great matchup.

The best chance that Taylor has going for him is that Bernard is at that age where a fighter can definately 'get old' overnight. Hopkins experience is going to count for alot and Taylor has to be carefull to not expend too much energy too soon. Shoot that jab.....keep Bernard at the end of it and tie him up on the inside as he'll use every trick in the book to frustrate and tire Taylor out. In his last few fights Hopkins has seemed to do just about enough to win and hasn't been pushed. Taylor has the speed and youth to compete but still may lose a close decision. That said I believe he could maybe eke out a close tough decision ala Holyfield-Qawi 1( that was a 15 rounder though).

It's not the fight, it's the heart in you.

863596[/snapback]

While I somewhat agree with that statement I also think in some cases the heart is still there while the skills are just too eroded.......Evander is the poster child for this train of thought.

It's not the fight, it's the heart in you.

863596[/snapback]

While I somewhat agree with that statement I also think in some cases the heart is still there while the skills are just too eroded.......Evander is the poster child for this train of thought.

863679[/snapback]

There is some truth to the heart statement no doubt. But Gatti has the heart of a lion and he was eaten alive last week.

Along those same lines one could say Micky Ward has a ton of heart but didn't have the natural abilities or hand speed of say a.......Hector Camacho who had the heart for the sport knocked out of him by one left hook from Edwin Rosario back in the Garden...

It's alway fun to put together the 'perfect' fighter'.........Shavers one punch power....Benitez defensive abilities......Roy Jones Jr hand speed......Gatti or Wards heart etc......

:D  I just don't think Taylor is quite ready.  He's still a little rough around the edges and mechnically not nearly as sound as Bernard.  This fight has been hurried along with Bernard saying he wants to retire soon, and this is one of the big fights he could make with Taylor being the "heir apparent".  Taylor is a great talent with good punching power, and I do think he will rule the Middle-Weight division eventually, but I just think Bernard's savy and ring generalship will be a bit too much for Taylor at this point.  Bernard will frustrate the young Taylor in route to a decision win.

863505[/snapback]

This is exactly what I'm thinking. Taylor will be a great champion for a long time, but he just isn't ready for Hopkins.

Oddly enough, he lost his pro debut, as he jumped into the professional ranks after being released from prison. He lost to Clinton Mitchell and debuted as a light-heavyweight. (when Hopkins was in the 11th grade, he was convicted and sentenced to 18 years in the state penitentiary for armed robbery. While incarcerated, he decided to turn his life around. Hopkins studied for and earned his high school diploma, and also began to take part in boxing again, which he had done off and on as a youth. During four years and eight months in prison, Hopkins won the national penitentiary middleweight championship three times)

His 2nd loss and last one in over 12 years was to Roy Jones Jr. in his first world title shot. Jones won a unanimous decision over Hopkins.

Edited by Hitman

Who did Hopkins lose his 2 fights to?

867377[/snapback]

This is a great boxing website that has the detailed records of every pro fighter you can think of..

I think Taylor's gonna pull off the upset. Hopkins said that Taylor's gonna be the champ... and gonna hold the title for a long time (but the obligatory "he's not gonna get it from me"). I'm callin' for the upset here.

A quick note here to say that former light heavy contender Julian Letterlough was shot and killed recently........if you ever saw this guy hit he was awesome!! Huge power and fun to watch go at it. I believe he lost his only title fight at 'Cruiserweight' to Jirov but he was a true warrior and will be missed not only in the boxing world but life in general.

Taylor has to stay focused for 3 minutes every round for all 12 rounds as Hopkins will use every trick in the book(dirty and clean)to make him frustrated. Taylor has all the tools but it still may be a bit early in his career to be able to put it all together for a complete fight. It boils down to whether or not Taylor can handle anything unexpected in the fight....a cut.....blatant fouls not being penalized....subtle elbows and headbutts on the inside. Bernard has seen it all in his long career and it'll be up to Taylor to adjust. It should be a good one and I see Hopkins winning a clear cut decision but Taylor will have his day a bit later on.

I disagree. Taylor had to have learned to cut the ring off and not just chase Hopkins all night, and Taylors jab is too imposing for Hopkins to deal with, but he stopped throwing it later in the fight when he seemed to tire.  Taylor saves that energy and continues the jab, and he wins unanimous next time.

882257[/snapback]

Taylor stopped throwing the left jab cuz Hopkins was countering with a strong left hook. He was effective most with the L. jab, L jab, L jab, R Hook. Taylor just got annoyed that he couldn't knock out Hopkins and started to abanded his boxing game to find if something else would work. Plus, Taylor decided to box inside on Hopkins and got hit hard to many times in which is what made him tired so that Hopkins could take over and control the fight. If he would have stuck with the stick and move he might have dominated the whole fight to the end.

Edited by Shotgun Messiahs

The big question is whether in the rematch Hopkins can actually start sooner in the bout. He has become quite the slow starter over the past few years and due to the lack of quality competition it had never really hurt him. Trinidad and DelaHoya were blown up welters and junior middles and the middleweight division was definately depleted of any good challenges for Bernard. He was able to take his time......rough up the guys at his discretion and then turn it on late. Taylor was too young and too talented to use that strategy on. So Hopkins is going to have to get it going on sooner in the rematch or it's the same result. Is he just finally to old to do it?

It was a pretty good fight. I agree with the decision, though thought it should have been unanimous. I will say this though, had it been in the old days where title fights were 15 rounds, Hopkins would have won it. I don't care what Taylor says, Hopkins had him hurt at least two times that I saw. It will make for a pretty good rematch, which I think Hopkins will win if he starts earlier. I'm not taking anything away from Taylor, but when Hopkins finally did turn it on he was much more dominating than Taylor was earlier in the fight. I see this being a trilogy type fight. I see Hopkins winning the next one, then Taylor winning the third and Hopkins retiring. That way they both get rich.

I have to reserve judgement on the decision because I didn't get to watch the fight. I do plan on watching the replay on HBO this weekend. From what I've read, Taylor had a good strategy from the opening bell, looking to take the fight to Hopkins who is a notoriously slow starter, and likes to fight as his pace. It seems Taylor banked many of the early rounds and built a nice lead on BHOP. It seems though as Hopkins heated up, he pretty much dominated the later rounds, thus the split decision. It seems Taylor's plan of dictating the pace early on served him well, but almost cost him as he tired down the stretch. BHOP's patience and slow start may have bit him in the arse finally. Doesn't sound like he's "aged" or lost anything. Just got in there with a determined and very talented kid who took the fight to him early. Should be a good rematch, and I'd have BHOP winning the 2nd fight. Of course after I watch the replay I may change my opinion a bit. We'll see.

Edited by Hitman

I have to reserve judgement on the decision because I didn't get to watch the fight.  I do plan on watching the replay on HBO this weekend.  From what I've read, Taylor had a good strategy from the opening bell, looking to take the fight to Hopkins who is a notoriously slow starter, and likes to fight as his pace.  It seems Taylor banked many of the early rounds and built a nice lead on BHOP.  It seems though as Hopkins heated up, he pretty much dominated the later rounds, thus the split decision.  It seems Taylor's plan of dictating the pace early on served him well, but almost cost him as he tired down the stretch.  BHOP's patience and slow start may have bit him in the arse finally.  Doesn't sound like he's "aged" or lost anything.  Just got in there with a determined and very talented kid who took the fight to him early.  Should be a good rematch, and I'd have BHOP winning the 2nd fight.  Of course after I watch the replay I may change my opinion a bit.  We'll see.

883232[/snapback]

If Im Taylor I would use Bernards strategy against him and make him wait a little for the rematch. I know its in the contract and hes gonna get it but dont be in such a hurry to do it asap. Hopkins forced the issue and may have been thinking he will catch Taylor while he is green Now let Taylor make Hopkins wait and get that much older.

If Im Taylor I would use Bernards strategy against him and make him wait a little for the rematch. I know its in the contract and hes gonna get it but dont be in such a hurry to do it asap. Hopkins forced the issue and may have been thinking he will catch Taylor while he is green Now let Taylor make Hopkins wait and get that much older.

883683[/snapback]

Exactly. If I'm Taylor I'm not jumping back in there with Bernard in October. At least savor this victory a little while longer and as Whomp said make Bernard wait a little.