[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Taylor vs. Hopkins

Shotgun Messiahs

Pick your Champion.  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your Champion.

• Jermain Taylor (23-0)
    • Bernard Hopkins (46-2-1)

I read in the paper today that the cut on Taylors head from the "accidental" butt will make the rematch no sooner than December.Also read Hopkins lawyer is making a motion to have the decision overturned..Thats weak IMO.

I read in the paper today that the cut on Taylors head from the "accidental" butt will make the rematch no sooner than December.Also read Hopkins lawyer is making a motion to have the decision overturned..Thats weak IMO.

889099[/snapback]

Which one? I think it is weak of Taylor to use the cut as an exuse to wait that long, though it is good gamesmanship. It is definitely weak for Benard to try to have the decision overturned.

Which one?  I think it is weak of Taylor to use the cut as an exuse to wait that long, though it is good gamesmanship.  It is definitely weak for Benard to try to have the decision overturned.

889104[/snapback]

It wasnt Taylors decision. The Dr. ordered no contact for 45 days.

It wasnt Taylors decision. The Dr. ordered no contact for 45 days.

889195[/snapback]

Last time I checked, 45 days from now is September, not December. Is does he need 3 months to spar?

Last time I checked, 45 days from now is September, not December.  Is does he need 3 months to spar?

889306[/snapback]

Taylor holds the cards right now which is driving Hopkins crazy. They were originally talking October for a rematch . If Im Taylor no way do I go into a rematch in October after not being able to spar for 45 days. That will be the biggest fight of his life. Id gladly make Hopkins wait and simmer.

Didn't the contract say October for the rematch? I think that was where that came from. Hopkins wants to go ahead and get it done, he wanted to beat Taylor then move on to Winky Wright.

I think that Taylor is going to wait as long as possible, but look for early November. The wording of the contract is going to force Taylor back into the ring earlier than he really wants.

Didn't the contract say October for the rematch?  I think that was where that came from.  Hopkins wants to go ahead and get it done, he wanted to beat Taylor then move on to Winky Wright. 

I think that Taylor is going to wait as long as possible, but look for early November.  The wording of the contract is going to force Taylor back into the ring earlier than he really wants.

890299[/snapback]

Im sure the Drs findings void the date of the contract but not the fact that they are going to have the rematch..Taylor is the champion now let him play his game the way the master (Hopkins) taught him. Taylor has got to be eating this up. Taylor was forced to fight Hopkins sooner then he may have wanted too because Bernard wanted it that way. Now the shoe is on the other foot.

Im sure the Drs findings void the date of the contract but not the fact that they are going to have the rematch..Taylor is the champion now let him play his game the way the master (Hopkins) taught him. Taylor has got to be eating this up. Taylor was forced to fight Hopkins sooner then he may have wanted too because Bernard wanted it that way. Now the shoe is on the other foot.

890494[/snapback]

The doctor part can only keep him out 45 days which would only move the fight back 45 days which would move it into Nov. dec at the latest. The second fight was agreed to knowing that Hopkins is planning on retiring within the next year. Pushing this fight would only delay that removal. It shouldn't matter when they fight again.

If Taylor learned anything from that fight than he will fight smarter and not run out of gas. He will be there as more than a punching bag for the last 4 rounds and will winn a bigger decision.

I have one question, What happened to the good old fashioned knockout? I am talking about the type that happens late in the fight after two fighters beat the crap out of each other and then one lays the other out, not these one punch wonders who can't last three round with someone that doesn't have a glass chin(mike tyson).

The doctor part can only keep him out 45 days which would only move the fight back 45 days which would move it into Nov. dec at the latest.  The second fight was agreed to knowing that Hopkins is planning on retiring within the next year.  Pushing this fight would only delay that removal.  It shouldn't matter when they fight again.

If Taylor learned anything from that fight than he will fight smarter and not run out of gas.  He will be there as more than a punching bag for the last 4 rounds and will winn a bigger decision.

I have one question,  What happened to the good old fashioned knockout?  I am talking about the type that happens late in the fight after two fighters beat the crap out of each other and then one lays the other out, not these one punch wonders who can't last three round with someone that doesn't have a glass chin(mike tyson).

890604[/snapback]

Part of this is gamesmanship by Taylor and he deserves it. 45 days of no sparring and then rush him in the ring with one of the best middleweights in the history of the sport? Screw that. Id let Bernard stew. He had a deep gash and Bernard has a tendancy to fight a little dirty. Hopkins would try to open that gash as soon as possible either dirty or clean so Taylor is gonna let it mend and give himself proper time to get his contact sparring under his belt. hes the champion now..

Maybe the old and broke and uninspired Tyson is easy to get to but Mike Tyson had a tremendous chin back in the day. When he fought Razor Ruddock some of those shots he took wouldve taken an average fighters head off. Even recently Lennox Lewis said he couldnt believe the shots Tyson took.

I agree about knockouts though. Thats why people always liked Tyson because he went for the kill..Lennox Lewis and Roy Jones who were great champions were always perfectly happy with the decision

In my opinion alot of the 'good old fashioned knockouts' are not happening late in fights now is because of the reduction from 15 round "Championship" fights to the watered down 12 rounders we have been stuck with all these years.

To me a 12 round fight will always be equated with the NABF or USBA championship and the real Championships were 15 rounders. Rounds 11-15 were known as 'Alis Alley' back in the day because he'd get a guy in those last few rounds, abuse him and put him away.Real Champs were ready to go 15 and that seperated them from the contenders and pretenders. If Leonard/Hearns 1 was a 12 rounder then Hearns wins a decision and there is no classic Dundee line"You're blowin' it kid..you're blowin it!!"

Because of all the publicity surrounding Doo Koo Kims tragic death after the war with Mancini they pushed for these cheap 12 round fights. Despite no proof that more fighters had been injured in rounds 12,13,14 and 15 boxing cowtoed to the AMA and too much negative publicity and lowered the limits. If anything it's the drastic weight loss methods that fighters use to get down to the limit in a ridiculous amount of time that leaves some fighters weak and not properly hydrated(moving the weigh ins to 24 to 48 hours before a fight has helped curb this). Fighters are unfortunately still being gravely injured in fights of this 12 round distance(Gerald MacClellan...etc)so I'm all for reinstateing the 15 round limits and proving who the real Champs are!!