[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Nick Goings?

nopackerfan

Has to be because of the depth situation in the Panthers' backfield. Both Davis and Foster are available and they drafted RB in R2(Eric Shelton).

Also reportedly in the mix are Brad Hoover, Rod Smart, Casey Cramer, Joey Harris, Nick Maddox and Jamal Robertson. :D

If he was traded, which I doubt, he'd be a viable filler type option.

Edited by Glabra

He's a team player....and a system player....ala Moe Williams. He helped the team out of a bad injury jam last year.....and very nicely I thought. But when the coach says publically..."Nick Goings is NOT the answer"....you have to figure he goes back to being the backup fullback. :D

I thought that was a needless slap in the face, btw.

Sort of a shame I think.....he's got a great work ethic....solid guy. The way he played those last 5 or 6 games...you'd think he'd at least get the starting FB position off of Hoover.

The Panthers RB situation is going to be interesting to say the least. Barring injury, Foster should get the first crack at the job. He has the mix of power and speed that Fox wants. I really don't expect Davis to be in contention for the starting job. If he has an outstanding camp maybe, but I doubt he will.

Shelton and Goings should contend for the backup job, and that could possibly end up in a RBBC of sorts of DeShaun and Stephen are out. Goings is a smart player, a good blocker, and shows the humble nature that the Panthers like to see.

Goings did a great job last year, and endeared himself to the organization, but it's true they don't see him a franchise back. He was a great story, and you better believe the Panthers will have him on their roster for a long time. At least he's not a chump like Droughns, who was placed in the same situation as Goings, but you don't see Nick out demanding trades or starting jobs.

At least he's not a chump like Droughns, who was placed in the same situation as Goings, but you don't see Nick out demanding trades or starting jobs.

874230[/snapback]

Yeah, great call. Droughns is done. I guess you can't blame him for trying to cash in on his fortunate year, but demanding to start :D . Goings seems to be a great "team" guy. He made me root for the Panthers for their playoff push and he wasn't on my roster.

From what I've read, Goings is going back to his FB role full time. Like already mentioned, he has Hoover to contend with, but he's (Goings) put on weight and has been working on his blocking. Last year was a stop gap move by Carolina because of the RB injuries.

With Davis and his microfracture surgery, its DeShaun Foster's job to lose, and barring injury, he could be primed to be a pleasant fantasy surprise. If your draft is going well, and you have room for a flyer, this may be one to consider.

Heads-up to all about the Panther starting RB position-it's wide open. If Davis is back from micro-fracture surgery, then it's a 3 horse race. I gleaned this from the Panthers site shortly after the Draft, and when asked who would be the starting RB week 1-Fox stated that had yet to be determined. I will say this, if Shelton impresses in TC and PS, then he may get the call, because Foster seems to be a better switch up back, and durability is still a question. This Shelton kid is a load, as I think some will see in PS, and don't be surprised to see him win the starting RB job.