[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Raffy hits #3000

Down Goes Frazia

RBI double down the left field line.... clean hit scoring mora from 2nd. I've got tickets for tommorrow night...... one night too late. :D

the Seattle faithful gave him a nice ovation..... tears, hugs.... all that crap. :D:D

I remember talk a few years back about whether he was HoF material. :D As far as I'm concerned.... he is a leadpipe lock on his 1st. ballot. :D

His stats are awesome and he has always had a sweet swing. I have had many debates with friends and family about Raffy's first HOF ballot. Lately, I have been arguing that while he is a great player, I don't see him as a first ballot hall of famer. His lack of championships and all-star games is a major deterent to the argument that he is sure fire first balloter.

the 500 HR - 3000 hit club has 4 members..... we all know who they are. :D

I too have doubted whether or not he derserved it but that was a few years back. Seeing those numbers for real is enough for me.

Do you realize that he's never been on the DL.... in 18 years. :D since 1988 he's averaged 152 games per year. Quite remarkable if you ask me.

the 500 HR - 3000 hit club has 4 members..... we all know who they are. :D

I too have doubted whether or not he derserved it but that was a few years back. Seeing those numbers for real is enough for me.

Do you realize that he's never been on the DL.... in 18 years. :D  since 1988 he's averaged 152 games per year. Quite remarkable if you ask me.

881379[/snapback]

gotta love those steroids. that and the fact that nearly everyone's a suspect now.

Five years ago, if you had 450 career home runs, you were a lock for Cooperstown. Does that mean Canseco warrants consideration?

Fred McGriff has some great career stats (and a WS ring and 5 all-stars), should he be in Cooperstown?

I love Crimedog. Let's compare his stats with Palmeiro.

Fred McGriff Career Stats

Avg - .284

Hits - 2,490

HR - 493

RBI - 1,550

OBP - .377

SLG - .509

Career high in HR - 37

Career high in RBI - 107

Rafael Palmeiro Career Stats

Avg - .289

Hits - 3,001

HR - 566

RBI - 1,826

OBP - .371

SLG - .516

Career high in HR - 47 - had 9 years with more HR's than McGriff's best year.

Career high in RBI - 148 - had 7 years with more RBI's than McGriff's best year.

While I do think that Freddy should get HOF consideration, Palmeiro has 500 more hits, 300 more RBI's and 75 more HR's. And he is still going. To me he is a lock, and Fred is possibly deserving but there should be much more debate for him to make it.

His stats are awesome and he has always had a sweet swing.  I have had many debates with friends and family about Raffy's first HOF ballot.  Lately, I have been arguing that while he is a great player, I don't see him as a first ballot hall of famer.  His lack of championships and all-star games is a major deterent to the argument that he is sure fire first balloter.

881366[/snapback]

I don't necessarily agree with All Star appearances being a major consideration because it is pretty much a popularity contest for the fans. How many times have we seen players who are injured make the team, or old stars make it on past merit and good players getting snubbed?

I've read a lot lately on Raffy's accomplishments. If you just look at numbers, Raffy is a lock. If you compare him to his contemporaries, I think the picture gets a little muddier. Especially in the offensive explosion of the 90's and 00's.

Raffy never led the league in any of the major statistics, and for that matter, was never the best player on any of his teams. The Hall of Fame is for the transcendant players of their time, not the very good players of their time. Unfortunately, I find myself falling in to the camp that thinks player's credentials need to be looked at a little closer as 500 homers is no longer a lock.

Five years ago, if you had 450 career home runs, you were a lock for Cooperstown.  Does that mean Canseco warrants consideration?

Fred McGriff has some great career stats (and a WS ring and 5 all-stars), should he be in Cooperstown?

881545[/snapback]

Good points.

I love Crimedog.  Let's compare his stats with Palmeiro.

881924[/snapback]

Remember, McGriff led the league in homers and was a feared power hitter. When he hit 37, that was a hugh amount. Remember when Cecil Fielder hit 52 in the early 90's?...everyone was like :keanureeveswhoa: Not so anymore.

Numbers and stats have exploded over the past 20 years to the point where 500 homers is no longer a lock for the HoF.  I think Raffy will get in, but I bet a number of voters will disagree.

883593[/snapback]

I agree.

Edited by I Like Soup

• 2 weeks later...