[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I could use some input on trading down

yo mama

This is for my 12 team local. 2 keepers, standard scoring with bonuses for individual return duties. 15 round serpintine draft. I'm only keeping LT2 and, thus, I'll be one of only a few teams with an open 2nd round pick.

I'm not all that excited with the prospects of what will be available to me in the 2nd round. *Maybe* Curtis Martin or Kevin Jones. If they are available, I'll probably go after them. But there is a good chance one of the teams ahead of me will pick them up, and that got me thinking.

What if I trade down? What is a mid-2nd round pick worth, in your mind? A 3rd and a 4th round? 3rd and 5th? What would you bill willing to pay for an additional 2nd rounder?

Edited by yo mama

I think it depends who is available and what their needs are.  You may get some value from the guys that are keeping QB (Manning) or WR's and need that RB more than you.

885172[/snapback]

I agree. But its the kind of value I should expect that I'm curious about. Any thoughts on what I should expect in return for the 2nd rounder?

Edited by yo mama

You should expect either a keeper level player. Or a couple of early picks so that you are filling your other skill position spots with higher talent. How many RB's are going to be kept out of the 24 or less player? If there are going to be quality RB2 available then moving down doesn't make sense unless you get something equivalent, i.e. a top tier QB or a stud WR. That might not be available and you might have to keep that pick.

I'm only keeping LT2 and, thus, I'll be one of only a few teams with an open 2nd round pick.

885156[/snapback]

If you're only keeping 1 and the majority of your league is keeping 2, why the 2nd round pick? Wouldn't that give you one of the few 1st round picks? I guess I need a clarification of the rules.

If you're only keeping 1 and the majority of your league is keeping 2, why the 2nd round pick?  Wouldn't that give you one of the few 1st round picks?  I guess I need a clarification of the rules.

885332[/snapback]

Rats. I wish there was more standard nomenclature in this regard...

What I call the "1st" round is where you'd draft if you kept no players. However, if you kept one or more, you'd "draft" your first keeper in that round. In my case, I'll be spending my 1st round pick keeping/drafting LT2.

In round 2, since I am not keeping a second player, I can draft any player I want to. However, other teams who have elected to keep two players will use their 2nd round pick to keep that second player.

All teams have open 3rd round picks.

Edited by yo mama

You should expect either a keeper level player.  Or a couple of early picks so that you are filling your other skill position spots with higher talent.  How many RB's are going to be kept out of the 24 or less player?  If there are going to be quality RB2 available then moving down doesn't make sense unless you get something equivalent, i.e. a top tier QB or a stud WR.  That might not be available and you might have to keep that pick.

885321[/snapback]

Well, Curtis Martin, Stephen Jackson, LaMont Jordan, and Kevin Jones might be available. however, I'd be surprised if the teams ahead of me didn't pick them up. Personally, I'd rather trade my mid 2nd rounder for a late 3rd rounder and an early 4th, if possible.

If I kept my 2nd rounder and, drafiting through the 4th, I might end up with LT2, Steven Jackson, Wayne, and Burleson. Not bad.

But if I could trade my 2nd rounder for a late 3rd and an early 4th I could end up with something like LT2, Bell, J.J. Arington, D-Jax, and Burleson. And *if* I could get that, I think I'd prefer it.

Well, Curtis Martin, Stephen Jackson, LaMont Jordan, and Kevin Jones might be available.  however, I'd be surprised if the teams ahead of me didn't pick them up.  Personally, I'd rather trade my mid 2nd rounder for a late 3rd rounder and an early 4th, if possible.

If I kept my 2nd rounder and, drafiting through the 4th, I might end up with LT2, Steven Jackson, Wayne, and Burleson.  Not bad. 

But if I could trade my 2nd rounder for a late 3rd and an early 4th I could end up with something like LT2, Bell, J.J. Arington, D-Jax, and Burleson.  And *if* I could get that, I think I'd prefer it.

885726[/snapback]

I'd steer clear of C-Mart, if for nothing else, the need to handcuff him at some point in the mid-to-late rounds with Blaylock. Personal preference would be for Jones over Jackson, too.

And, personally, I'd rather have the group in the bolded paragraph. Again, personal preference here, but I am hardly sold on Bell, and would actually rather have Wayne over D-Jax (haven't we already had the D-Jax debate :D ?). In any case, I'd value Jones or even Jackson over Bell + Arrington. Sure, Green loves Arrington, but can a guy that size take the rigors of being an every-down back?

But hey, having LT, Bell, Arrington and D-Jax/Burleson would certainly not suck. You could pawn off either Bell or Arrington if you didn't think you needed the depth. But again, personally, I'd rather have the mega-stud lineup of LT, Jones (or Jackson), Wayne and Burleson.