[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cavs Sign Donyell Marshall

KevinL

4 years, 20 to 25 million.

Marshall played 25 min / game last year for Toronto, scoring 11.5 ppg and averaged 6.6 rebounds. Marshall is 6'9, 230. Seems a little light to play backup center.

Cavs had a $1.8M option on Robert Traylor. Traylor played 18 min / game, scoring 5.5 with 4.5 rebounds. Traylor is 6'8, 284 and can spell Z at center.

I like Marshall, but I'm not sure he's worth $2-3M more than Traylor. And now aren't we out of $ for a point guard? Does this mean that Gooden is on the way out in a sign-and-trade or some other deal for a PG?

I like Marshall, but I'm not sure he's worth $2-3M more than Traylor.  And now aren't we out of $ for a point guard?  Does this mean that Gooden is on the way out in a sign-and-trade or some other deal for a PG?

885277[/snapback]

there's been a lot of speculation that gooden was out, and this would seem to really cement that. it'll be interesting to see what they can get.

Interesting signing, as the two above posters noted. Marshall can certainly hit the three (he was on my fantasy team last season, and that 12-3 game was nothing short of ridiculous). I don't think he's starter material, so Gooden leaving isn't really a sure-thing - Cav fans should hope they can keep Gooden. What's wrong with Snow and McInnis in the "figurehead" PG spot? LeBron and Hughes can handle the ball just fine.

McInnis is a FA, the Cavs must be about out of $ and have made no effort to re-sign him.  Plus he quit on the team at the end of the season.

886683[/snapback]

Didn't know that... perhaps they are still in the market, then. Any chance at a guy like Keyon Dooling?

Marshall was a dominant rebounder and excellent shotblocker a few years ago, especialy from someone his size. I believe this exactly what they needed, if he can return to that form.

886889[/snapback]

Corrected.

Didn't know that... perhaps they are still in the market, then.  Any chance at a guy like Keyon Dooling?

886906[/snapback]

Today's Plain Dealer has them getting the Lithuanian.

Point guard Sarunas Jasikevicius is expected to become the latest free agent to agree to a deal with the Cavaliers, according to several league sources.

News of a verbal agreement between the sides could be announced in a few days. Friday is the earliest free agents can sign with teams.

Jasikevicius will join fellow free agents, forward Donyell Marshall, guard Larry Hughes and center Zydrunas Ilgauskas to bolster a Cavs team that has made significant strides during the off-season.

Jasikevicius, the best man at Ilgauskas' wedding, has been a Euroleague star the past four years. At 6-4, he is an outstanding 3-point shooter who was the Euroleague MVP two years ago. He led his Maccabi Tel Aviv team to the last two Euroleague championships, and last summer lifted the Lithuanian national team over the U.S. in the Athens Games.

More than likely, the signing of Jasikevicius and the addition of Marshall will eat up the rest of the $28 million the Cavs had available under the salary cap, which is projected at about $49 million. But under league rules, the Cavs can go over the salary cap by signing players to minimum contracts.

Roster:

PG - Eric Snow, Sarunas Jasikevicius

SG / SF - LeBron James, Larry Hughes, Luke Jackson, Ira Newble, Sasha Pavlovic

PF - Drew Gooden, Donyell Marshall, Anderson Varejao

C - Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Martynas Andriuskevicius (if he doesn't play in Europe another year)

Looks pretty solid!

Very solid looking team, though I am afraid they will have some trouble at center if Martynas does play in Europe this year. None of thier PF guys are really big enough to go at the center, though it isn't out of the realm of possibility to see the Cavs have Snow, Lebron, Hughes, Gooden and Marshall on the floor at the same time and run a zone on defense and look to outrun/gun their opponent on the offensive side of the ball