[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Manning/Portis for Culpepper/Edge

In an 8 team keeper league where we keep 2 players each year. It is a standard performance scoring league. My current keepers are Manning+Portis and someone has offered me Culpepper+Edge as a trade. Very tempted to do it as Edge is probably better than Portis in most books, but it's really tough to part with Manning. Also, feel like Portis has a tone of upside while Edge is already performing at the top of his game. Really struggling with this one...any advice appreciated.

In an 8 team keeper league where we keep 2 players each year. It is a standard performance scoring league. My current keepers are Manning+Portis and someone has offered me Culpepper+Edge as a trade. Very tempted to do it as Edge is probably better than Portis in most books, but it's really tough to part with Manning. Also, feel like Portis has a tone of upside while Edge is already performing at the top of his game. Really struggling with this one...any advice appreciated.

887810[/snapback]

I'd do it. Edge is a much more reliable pick than Portis, who simply hasn't proved he can run well on his team. He could put it together this year, or not. The Redskins offense simply doesn't impress me, and 5 rushing TDs in 15 games last year is piss poor.

And remember, while Manning probably edges out Pepper this year with the loss of Moss, Pepper actually outscored Manning in most fantasy formats in '04 (the record breaking performance overshadowed Pepper's superior fantasy production). His rushing ability is a nice bonus, and he should still be very close to Manning in terms of overall production.

Edited by Roo

I wouldn't do it. Portis was in his first year in a new system and amist the revolving door Washington called a QB, Portis still managed for over 1500 all-purpose yds and 7 TDs in 15 games. Edge had a great season last year but I think Portis bounces back and puts up some great numbers in WASH. Plus, the real x-factor here is a "Moss-less" Culpepper. Alot of unknowns in Minnesota IMO.

To recap...I'd stick with Manning/Portis

I'd stick with Manning/Portis also. In an 8 team league, you have a chance at getting another quality RB. Manning is the clear cut #1 QB who will consistently get you big points every week. I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm very unsure how Culpepper will do without Moss...no doubt he'll put up good numbers, I just don't think they'll be as good as a lot of people are projecting.

It's odd if this forum favors the Manning/Portis side considering it just ranked Edge the #3 pick OVERALL, ahead of Manning.

And at this rate is Portis even a top 10 RB?

I'd take the #3 RB and the #2 QB over the #1 QB and the #10 (or so) RB.

But hey, it is a close call.

Edited by Roo

It's odd if this forum favors the Manning/Portis side considering it just ranked Edge the #3 pick OVERALL, ahead of Manning. 

887985[/snapback]

I was not one who voted for Edge over Manning. I just have a hard time beleiving that Culpepper will finish #2 this year. It may sound stupid to say, but it's what I think.

Technically, Portis is ranked 7th so he qualifies as Top 10. Secondly, you can't always go by the rankings, you gotta go with guts and instincts (and hope they're correct).

The way I see it...

Manning... a consistently great QB year-in and year-out and Portis who put up solid stats during an overall crappy year with a team very much in flux.

vs.

Edge...who is a stud and Culpepper who raises a ton of question marks in my mind with Burleson and Robinson as #1 and #2 WRs (I know the Huddle has Burleson ranked as Top 20 WR, but I wouldn't want him as my #1 on my roster).

The Manning/Portis duo is solid and comes with very few surprises, the Culpepper situation has some unknowns. IMO...fantasy football has enough surprises, I don't need to sign up for more.

I would keep Manning and Portis. This year Portis will have a big year. Edge will also, but Culpepper will struggle without his safety valve to throw it deep and let Moss go get it.

887985[/snapback]

It's not a close call by far!! You Keep Manning & Portis! Why would you do it??? Makes no since to me at all! Cpep & Manning are neck and neck Fantasy wise and Portis starting picking up his new system torwards the end of the year! EJ hasn't been to camp and doesn't want to stay! Versus going somewhere else and getting Paid! :D Do this trade and you'll be sorry! :D

Portis had 5 rushing TDs last year! That is poor. The Redskins are poor.

Portis used to run for Denver, where just about anyone can run well (see Droughns). It gave him elite RB status that he might not deserve.

Could Portis improve? Sure he might, but it's no sure bet. It is much more certain that Edge will get plenty of opportunity on the league's best offense.

Edge is no question the better RB.

And yes I agree that Manning is the better QB this year, but you have to see that Pepper actually outscored him in '04. He had more passing yards and 400 rushing yards and 2 rushing TDs. (these yards and TDs count for more on the ground remember).

If it were not for the loss of Moss, you'd have to rank Pepper higher. Without Moss, Manning takes the #1 spot, but it's not a blowout.

It's just my opinion. I'd rather take a risk on Culpepper and have a sure thing in Edge, than take a risk on Portis and have a sure thing in Manning.

note: Indy's D is getting bolstered = less shootouts

First of all, there's no question in my mind that Edge is the better RB.

Now...Portis with a new team with a new coach and a new system with multiple QBs and sitting out 1 game scored 5 rushing and 2 receiving TDs. Looking at all of those variables he was dealing with last year...how could it not get better this year.

Edge...playing on what is probably the most explosive single-season offense in NFL history scored 9 rushing and 0 receiving TDs. Only a 2 TD difference between the two. The huge difference maker between them last year (fantasy wise) was yardage. Portis had roughly 1300 yds rushing and 200 yds receiving....Edge had 1500 rushing and 500 yds receiving. Again, these stats are for Portis 15 games...Edge 16 games.

So here is the real question...playing the odds, what is more likely to happen?

Indy repeats it's incredible year again this year providing a ton of yardage opportunities for Edge OR Wash improves, at least moderately, to create a better situation for Portis to excel?

The way I see it, it basically comes down to Manning vs. CPep and without Moss...that's a no-brainer.

Fair points.

On your last point though, I would say that Indy WILL have another incredible year (nothing about the offense has changed), as a team, but the more obvious "balancing out" would be slightly less passing TDs, and slightly more rushing TDs.

Stick with Manning and Portis. Portis is going to have a much better year with the Skins significantly improved O-Line and spread out offense. Manning will probably come close to matching last years production. CPepp lost Moss. Edge is still a great play. Ultimately, if you believe Manning will outperform CPepp by, lets say, 5 pts per game and Edge is 3 pts better than Portis per game, then stick with Manning/Portis. Just do the math and make your pick.

It is also important to keep your scoring system in mind. If passing TDs are worth as much as all other TDs, the the scale tips further to Manning and Portis.

Manning won sooooo many games for me last year in my local.

All TD's are 6 points. He was soooo far ahead in QB points it was silly.

C-pepp is without his security blanket (Moss).

I won my league with #18 two years ago and finished second last year with

the MVP. So, I am quite biased.

I don't see another 49 TD's this year but 40+ is a virtual lock.

Keep Manning!

Good luck!