[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

1 bye week strategy - revisited

For what it's worth, I'm in the Huddle Mock#7 right now and a realistic opportunity to employ the single bye week strategy presented itself pretty nicely.

I have the 3rd overall pick and based on actual picks by other owners this is how it could've very easily gone down.

LT

Manning(bye week 8)

SA (my pick bye week 8)

Edge(bye week 8)

2.10 Curtis Martin and Marvin Harrison(both bye week 8) are the highest ranked available players at their respective positions.

3.03 If you went RB at 2.10 then you might consider Wayne(bye week 8). Walker, Horn, Wayne all available there and are the next 3 highest ranked WRs.

4.10 Could quite possibly be looking at Dunn and Coles(both bye week 8) as best available at their respective positions. Dunn went two picks before me but Coles was still there, however so were three other higher ranked WRs.

5.03 I didn't but if you saw fit to go either TE or QB here, which is not unreasonable with 2 RBs and 2WRs already in the fold, you could go Clark or Hasselbeck. Clark is the next TE on the board and Hass is only after Favre and Green.

6.10 I don't have a TE or a QB and Clark and Hass are still on the board. I took Clark(bye week 8) because there are 3-4 QBs I'd be happy with at 7.03

7.03 Worked out just like I wanted. I took T. Green(ranked #7) because I think he's clearly the best available QB here but it would not have been a huge reach to take Hass(ranked #8) here is you so chose.

So, where does this leave you?

A likely, at least very possible, starting line-up utilizing this strategy picking from the numbers 2-4 spots:

QB - Hasselbeck

RB - Shaun Alexander

RB - Curtis Martin

WR - Reggie Wayne or Marvin Harrison

WR - Laveranues Coles

WR - Brandon Stokely

TE - Dallas Clark or Alge Crumpler

D - ATL, Indy, NYJ

Not bad but not great.

Edited by BS Miscreant

I still don't see the merits in this strategy.

891290[/snapback]

The merits of the strategy are legit, though of questionable usefulness.

For every stud that's on a bye, your chances of winning go down. Spread over a several weeks, that could result in several close losses. Concentrate all your byes in one week and while you're virtually guaranteed to lose that one game, you're firing on all cylinders every other week. You're aggregate point total for all players should be the same, though your win/loss record could vary.

Edited by yo mama

The merits of the strategy are legit, though of questionable usefulness.

For every stud that's on a bye, your chances of winning go down.  Spread over a several weeks, that could result in several close losses.  Concentrate all your byes in one week and while you're virtually guaranteed to lose that one game, you're firing on all cylinders every other week.  You're aggregate point total for all players should be the same, though your win/loss record could vary.

891320[/snapback]

OK perhaps I misspoke... I don't see the usefulness. I just always draft based on best player available, filling out a solid starting roster first and then dealing with important handcuffs and backups. :D

I just always draft based on best player available, filling out a solid starting roster first and then dealing with important handcuffs and backups.  :D

891336[/snapback]

I agree with you completely, well... with the exception of the handcuff thing. I'm not necessarily a proponent of going into the draft with this strategy but we discussed it recently and I'm staring right at a fairly reasonable opportunity to pull it off so I thought I'd throw it out there as example. You know, for discussion.

I agree with you completely, well... with the exception of the handcuff thing.  I'm not necessarily a proponent of going into the draft with this strategy but we discussed it recently and I'm staring right at a fairly reasonable opportunity to pull it off so I thought I'd throw it out there as example.  You know, for discussion.

891342[/snapback]

RE: Bye week drafting... I see how it could potentially work... great discussion, for sure.

RE: Handcuffing... it's especially important this season. With certain spots in the draft, you're going to be faced with drafting Holmes, Brown, CuMar... 3 guys that now necessitate handcuffing.

RE:  Handcuffing... it's especially important this season.  With certain spots in the draft, you're going to be faced with drafting Holmes, Brown, CuMar... 3 guys that now necessitate handcuffing.

891346[/snapback]

I certainly understand why people do the handcuff thing and I've heard a couple of good arguments for it but to me if a guy carries such a perceived injury risk that I feel the need to take his back-up then I probably won't draft him anyway.

A likely, at least very possible, starting line-up utilizing this strategy picking from the numbers 2-4 spots:

QB - Hasselbeck

RB - Shaun Alexander

RB - Curtis Martin

WR - Reggie Wayne or Marvin Harrison

WR - Laveranues Coles

WR - Brandon Stokely

TE - Dallas Clark or Alge Crumpler

D - ATL, Indy, NYJ

Not bad but not great.

I certainly understand why people do the handcuff thing and I've heard a couple of good arguments for it but to me if a guy carries such a perceived injury risk that I feel the need to take his back-up then I probably won't draft him anyway.

891359[/snapback]

Maybe getting a handcuff not only is insurance if injury occurs, but that a coach (i.e. Tice) wants to RBBC (more prevalent now than ever)--handcuffing will get you a sure fire backfield(even if coach flops from week to week) and no matter who gets the start you have the starter...

I drafted Fred Taylor-Toefield and Pearman...if Greg Jones(won't happen) gets the start--I'm screwed! But if Freddy Boy goes down or Toefield or Pearman wins the job...there is no scuffle to get them on FA....plus we don't have to cut our rosters all the way down until September 1st....think I should have more info to base a decision on then...where if I don't have the guy...odds are when a decision is made...I'll get beat out on the wire(FA).... :D