[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Great Sports quotes

whomper

Love him or hate him Mike Tyson gave one of the best sports quotes I ever heard. He was about to fight Razor Ruddock and a reporter said Razor planned on using a certain gameplan and strategy to beat him and Tyson said

"Everybody has a gameplan until they get punched in the mouth" :D

anybody have any good ones ?

Chicago Cubs outfielder Andre Dawson on being a role model: "I wan' all dem kids to do what I do, to look up to me. I wan' all the kids to copulate me."

New Orleans Saint RB George Rogers when asked about the upcoming season: "I want to rush for 1,000 or 1,500 yards, whichever comes first."

And, upon hearing Joe Jacobi of the 'Skins say: "I'd run over my own mother to win the Super Bowl," Matt Millen of the Raiders said: "To win, I'd run over Joe's Mom, too"

Torrin Polk, University of Houston receiver, on his coach, John Jenkins: "He treats us like men. He lets us wear earrings."

Football commentator and former player Joe Theismann, 1996: "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

Senior basketball player at the University of Pittsburgh: "I'm going to graduate on time, no matter how long it takes."

Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach: "You guys line up alphabetically by height." And, "You guys pair up in groups of three, then line up in a circle."

Boxing promoter Dan Duva on Mike Tyson hooking up again with promoter Don King: "Why would anyone expect him to come out smarter? He went to prison for three years, not Princeton."

Stu Grimson, Chicago Blackhawks left wing, explaining why he keeps a color photo of himself above his locker: "That's so when I forget how to spell my name, I can still find my clothes."

Lou Duva, veteran boxing trainer, on the Spartan training regime of heavyweight Andrew Golota: "He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is."

Chuck Nevitt, North Carolina State basketball player, explaining to Coach Jim Valvano why he appeared nervous at practice: "My sister's expecting a baby, and I don't know if I'm going to be an uncle or an aunt."

Frank Layden, Utah Jazz president, on a former player: "I told him, 'Son, what is it with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?' He said, 'Coach, I don't know and I don't care.'"

Shelby Metcalf, basketball coach at Texas A&M, recounting what he told a player who received four F's and one D: "Son, looks to me like you're spending too much time on one subject."

Amarillo High School and Oiler coach Bum Phillips when asked by Bob Costas why he takes his wife on all the road trips, Phillips responded: "Because she is too *** ugly to kiss good-bye."

Shaq probably has a whole book of them.

A few of my favorites (just from memory)

"I've won at every level except college and pro" (before the Lakers' titles)

When asked if he visited the Parthenon while in Greece...

"I can't remember the names of all the clubs we went to."

I'm paraphrasing this one, I don't remember it word for word...

"I'm tired of everything being about money. Money. Money. Money. All I want to do is play the game, drink Pepsi and wear Reebok"

My Favorite was one my Dad heard live

Melvin Turpin, Univ. Of Kentucky Basketball Player

"i love my Thermos, but I has one question. It keeps my hot stuff hot and it keeps my cold stuff cold, but how do it know?"

Yogi Berra:

"All pitchers are liars or crybabies."

"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."

"Baseball is ninety percent mental. The other half is physical."

"Bill Dickey is learning me his experience."

"He hits from both sides of the plate. He's amphibious."

"How can a you hit and think at the same time?"

"I always thought that record would stand until it was broken."

"I can see how he (Sandy Koufax) won twenty-five games. What I don't understand is how he lost five."

"I don't know (if they were men or women fans running naked across the field). They had bags over their heads."

"If people don't want to come out to the ballpark, how are you going to stop them?"

"I'm a lucky guy and I'm happy to be with the Yankees. And I want to thank everyone for making this night necessary."

"I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did."

"In baseball, you don't know nothing."

"I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?"

"I never said most of the things I said."

"It ain't the heat, it's the humility."

"It gets late early out there."

"I think Little League is wonderful. It keeps the kids out of the house."

"It's like deja vu all over again."

"I wish everybody had the drive he (Joe DiMaggio) had. He never did anything wrong on the field. I'd never seen him dive for a ball, everything was a chest-high catch, and he never walked off the field."

"Little League baseball is a very good thing because it keeps the parents off the streets."

"Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded."

"So I'm ugly. I never saw anyone hit with his face."

"Take it with a grin of salt."

"The game's isn't over until it's over."

"The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase."

"You can observe a lot just by watching."

"You should always go to other people's funerals, otherwise, they won't come to yours."

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going because you might not get there."

"We made too many wrong mistakes."

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

Muhammad Ali: "If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread, they can sure make something out of you."

Muhammad Ali, on heavyweight boxing champion Sonny Liston: "He's too ugly to be the champ!"

Muhammad Ali: "It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am."

Mike Tyson, on fighting Lennox Lewis: "My main objective is to be professional, but to kill him."

Muhammad Ali, on an upcoming fight with Floyd Patterson: "I'll beat him so bad he'll need a shoehorn to put his hat on."

Muhammad Ali: "It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up."

Mike Tyson, on writer Wallace Matthews: "[He] called me a 'rapist' and a 'recluse'. I'm not a recluse."

Randall "Tex" Cobb: "When I got up I stuck to my plan -- stumbling forward and getting hit in the face."

Muhammad Ali: "I'm so mean I make medicine sick."

Mike Tyson, to the Nevada State Athletic Commission: "I'm not Mother Teresa. But I'm also not Charles Manson."

Muhammad Ali: "Howard Cosell was gonna be a boxer when he was a kid—only they couldn't find a mouthpiece big enough."

Muhammad Ali, when asked about his golf game: "I'm the best. I just haven't played yet."

Classic (perhaps apocryphal) Harry Caray quote - they were showing a young couple, apparently very much in love, constantly kissing all game. So Harry shot out with "They've got a system folks; he kisses her on the strikes, and she kisses him on the balls." :eek:

Thomas Hearns(in an interview during the Jerry Lewis telethon back in the 80s)-"I'd like to help Jerry Lewis with his fight against kids..."

Randall "Tex" Cobb- "In tennis you make a mistake it's 15-love...in boxing you make a mistake and it's your a**!"

Classic (perhaps apocryphal) Harry Caray quote - they were showing a young couple, apparently very much in love, constantly kissing all game. So Harry shot out with "They've got a system folks; he kisses her on the strikes, and she kisses him on the balls." :eek:

898179[/snapback]

:D:D:D:D