[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Latest on McNair vs. The State of Tennessee

DMD

The Titans specifically gave their permission for McNair & the Ravens to negotiate.

1475605[/snapback]

yeah, i forgot about that. but obviously, that was a result of the titans assuming they'd be getting something back. if the ravens are unwilling, why should the titans facilitate mcnair's going to a hated conference (former division) rival? if mcnair's loyalties are with the ravens, then the titans don't owe him jack. if it hurts their interests (by taking away any leverage they might have to get the ravens to agree to a trade), then they'd be stupid to help b'more out.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

obviously, that was a result of the titans assuming they'd be getting something back.

1475654[/snapback]

Jeez Az, have you bothered to read the posts in this thread?

The Ravens tried to make the trade with the Titans.

Titans FO blew 'em off.

So now the Ravens simply wait on McNair to be cut.

if mcnair's loyalties are with the ravens, then the titans don't owe him jack.

1475654[/snapback]

Before the Titans disrespecteded McNair by having some flunky tell him he wasn't welcome to train with them, I'd say he was loyal to them.

But now?...

Why would McNair owe loyalty to an organization that obviously does not respect him and was actively trying to trade him? :D

The Ravens are selfish?

You do know they offered to trade a Draft pick for McNair day two of the draft, right?

Titans turned them down.

Now the Ravens are content to wait until the inevitable happens & Tenn outright cuts McNair.

Since when did a smart business decision, become defined as selfish?

You've basically repeated yourself here.

Again, the Ravens offered a Draft pick for McNair & Tenn blew them off.

Now the Ravens are content to wait for the Titans to cut him.

Ozzie ain't stupid and he gave them a chance.

Not his fault the Titans FO is imbecilic. :D

While it is true that McNair could sign with a team other than the Ravens, what other team is going to offer him $12,000,000 ($11 mil guaranteed & $1 mil 1st years salary) & the starting job?

Once cut, I'd say it's about a 99.9% chance we see McNair in a Ravens uni for 2006.

1475184[/snapback]

Ok,so what draft pick was offered for the former MVP?

What I read,and correct me if I'm wrong,was the Ravens offered a fifth,and the Titans wanted no less than a fourth.

They wouldn't accept a fifth for a former MVP that the Ravens offered 12 million for his first year alone?They know you want him,and badly if that much money was offered.The Ravens thought they could lowball them,and it back-fired.

Now that the deal fell through,the Titans are in no way obligated to help the Ravens.You keep acting like they are in some way hurting McNair,when the truth is they aren't.He will get his 12 million regardless.The only ones that will get hurt in the deal are the Ravens.

The earlier draft pick should have been given.It wasn't.So I can just see Jeff Fisher and the Titans front office thinking,"Gee I know we didn't get the draft pick we wanted,but let's cut him now so he'll have plenty of time to learn the Ravens playbook and help them out."

So yes,if the Ravens only offered a fifth round pick,they were selfish.If you need a QB as bad as the Ravens do,a fourth rounder is nothing.

Let me see if I've got what you're saying right Sox.

Everybody and their brother has known Titans will inevitably have to outright cut McNair.

Despite the Ravens knowing this, they still offer the Titans a 5th.

But to you, that's selfish? :D

At this point, if I was Baltimore, I wouldn't even be answering any calls from the Titans.

Let them suck on the fact they could've had a 5th, which was generous, considering the circumstances, but now they're going to get squat. :D

Jeez Az, have you bothered to read the posts in this thread?

The Ravens tried to make the trade with the Titans.

Titans FO blew 'em off.

So now the Ravens simply wait on McNair to be cut.

1475751[/snapback]

:D apparently the ravens didn't try very hard, as they're clearly not in agreement over the price. why should the titans just give away any leverage they might have in those negotiations? to imply that they should is wetodded.

At this point, if I was Baltimore, I wouldn't even be answering any calls from the Titans.

1475887[/snapback]

and if i was the titans, i make baltimore ride this out for as long as i possibly can unless they want to call and make a worthwhile offer. :D

:D apparently the ravens didn't try very hard, as they're clearly not in agreement over the price.

1475900[/snapback]

Why give more than a 5th for a player you know will inevitably be released and you can get for nothing.

Giving up anything more than a 5th would have been wetodded :D

:D

There was no under the table deal Azazello1313.

The Titans specifically gave their permission for McNair & the Ravens to negotiate.

1475605[/snapback]

Exactly. The way I understand it, the Ravens couldn't have negotiated with McNair without permission from Tenn - otherwise it would be tampering.

and if i was the titans, i make baltimore ride this out for as long as i possibly can unless they want to call and make a worthwhile offer. :D

1475902[/snapback]

Don't forget Waddell a Titan CB, went down with injury and will be out awhile, which leaves the Titans extremely thin at CB.

To that end, the Titans had FA visits with Ty Law & Ahmed Plummer, but only have something like $112,000 in cap room. No way to sign either of these guys with McNair's current cap number on the books.

Releasing McNair instantly gives them another $9,000,000 in cap room.

However, you're fine with the Titans blatantly mistreating McNair, the most successful quarterback in their history and taking themselves out of the FA loop, to the detriment of the team, just so the Titans can make Baltimore wait a bit longer?

Cool if you think that way, but it seems pretty stupid & petty on the Titans part to me. :D

Why give more than a 5th for a player you know will inevitably be released and you can get for nothing.

Giving up anything more than a 5th would have been wetodded :D

1475909[/snapback]

because you want him on your team before training camp? but hey, if they don't think it's worth their while to give up a pick, they can deal with the ramifications of waiting the titans out.

because you want him on your team before training camp?  but hey, if they don't think it's worth their while to give up a pick, they can deal with the ramifications of waiting the titans out.

1475935[/snapback]

McNair's a vet, will be runited with Mason & will have Heap as his Wychek. He'll adjust & pick up the Ravens offense in no time flat.

I see Spain is once again getting his entry for "Huddle Tool Bag Post of the Year" in.

Titans can't afford him. It's their fault they can't manage the cap, or even come close to managing it. They knew at least a year ago this would happen, and telling McNair the way they did was just bad. Any other team does this, you are the first one to point and say "ha-ha, my team is better".

Correct me if I am wrong, but McNair is officially not under contract after June 1st. To activate his extension for 2006 - 2010, the Titans must pay him a $50 million bonus. This happens about three seconds after Elvis appears at the White House with JFK and Osama Bin Laden.

The Ravens did not offer a draft pick to get McNair, they offered the pick (5th round, 2007 draft) to get him today. June 1st, he's theirs. McNair has a $12 GUARENTEED offer to be the starter for Baltimore. To keep him, Tennessee must do better. By better, the money plus the starting job along with staying in TN must be better. McNair in Tennessee has Young waiting. In Baltimore, he has future tackling dummy Kyle Boller behind him.

Come on Spain, you didn't think calling Boller the 'white Tony Banks' was funny? Both suck, both where drafted high, both fumble left and right and both are soon to be ex-Ravens starters.

I'm going to pick on Jeff "bring a two by four" Fischer every chance I get. Until he gets a ring to go with that doo, he's still second rate.

I know "you all" in TN are upset that the Ravens beat you twice in your new stadium before anyone else beat you once, and I know you are still upset that we ran over you on our way to winning a Super Bowl. Can't imagine how bad you'd feel if McNair is able to turn our offense around and win a ring here.

McNair is a freakin warrior. He'd play with one leg if asked, and he's reworked his deal more than anyone should have. Titans screwed the pooch on this. Titans should have taken the 5th and been happy with it.

Let me see if I've got what you're saying right Sox.

Everybody and their brother has known Titans will inevitably have to outright cut McNair.

Despite the Ravens knowing this, they still offer the Titans a 5th.

But to you, that's selfish? :D

Let them suck on the fact they could've had a 5th, which was generous, considering the circumstances, but now they're going to get squat. :D

1475887[/snapback]

Finally, a brain that isn't DMD.

It's beyond what you've said. The Titans don't have to cut McNair for Baltimore to get him. If the Titans do not explicitly exercise a $50 million option on McNair by June 1st, he's a free agent. McNair must rework the deal to work around this, which he is unlikely to do with the $12 mil guarentee and starting job waiting for him in Baltimore.

The arbitrator does not want to rule on this. June 1st will force the Titans to say yes or no. No coincidence this is when the decision is expected.

Jeeze the Ravens just can't seem to get it. They lost out in the T.O. deal didn't they. :D

And Blanda's making more money with his Social Security check... :D

Edited by jackshi17

What about Dan Pastorini.  That dude is a legend.

1476415[/snapback]

Amen. Both were way better than McNair ever was. What was the last year the dude played all 16 games anyways? 2002?

Edited by DKF

Correct me if I am wrong, but McNair is officially not under contract after June 1st.  To activate his extension for 2006 - 2010, the Titans must pay him a $50 million bonus

1476199[/snapback]

If the Titans do not explicitly exercise a $50 million option on McNair by June 1st, he's a free agent.

1476204[/snapback]

Sorry Big Red,

You're wrong here.

The Titans had an option to give McNair a 3-year, $50 million extension or pay him a $1 million bonus back in March and he would have just 1 year left instead of 4.

They exercised the $1 million bonus, so he is under contract for 1 year and the Titans could leave McNair dangling until they have to sign their rookies.

Of course if they do this, they have effectively taken themselves out of the remaining FA market, including the June cuts.

But there is no $50 million extension due.

The arbitrator does not want to rule on this.

1476204[/snapback]

Agreed, just not for the reason in your post.

I think the preference is for the Titans to work this out themselves, than have the arbitrator to officially rule on it.

Below is an example of how a team should act when they have decided not to honor the terms of a contract and ask the player to take a pay cut, but the player says;

"Hmmmm... pay cut? No thanks. Instead of a pay cut, I think I'll let you honor the terms of the contract you drew up and I signed."

Adam Teicher, of the Kansas City Star, reports S Jerome Woods would not accept a pay cut from the Kansas City Chiefs so he was released.

NFL | Law may have to lower his price

Thu, 18 May 2006 19:43:36 -0700

John Tomase, of the Boston Herald, reports free agent CB Ty Law (Jets) has still not received a contract offer to his liking. Law is reportedly asking for at least a $10 million signing bonus. The Kansas City Chiefs have been linked to Law as the most logical choice, but have refused to entertain that much money for the 32-year-old defensive back. The Chiefs have not invited Law for a visit or talked with the free agent, but Law remains in contact with Chiefs head coach Herm Edwards on a personal basis. The Tennessee Titans and New England Patriots are also said to be interested in Law, but the Titans are facing salary cap issues and the Patriots typically do not pay for high priced free agents.

Gee....I wonder how the Titans could free up $9,000,000 :D

Below is an example of how a team should act when they have decided not to honor the terms of a contract and ask the player to take a pay cut, but the player says;

"Hmmmm... pay cut? No thanks. Instead of a pay cut, I think I'll let you honor the terms of the contract you drew up and I signed."

1477122[/snapback]

It's called leverage. Either take the paycut, or I'll make sure you are on my roster long enough that you cannot catch onto any other team.

Just because KC is stupid, why should the Titans be?

It's called leverage. Either take the paycut, or I'll make sure you are on my roster long enough that you cannot catch onto any other team.

1477366[/snapback]

That's ridiculous DKF.

McNair could be cut week 6 of the regular season and he'd still get scooped up by another team.

Sorry Big Red,

You're wrong here.

The Titans had an option to give McNair a 3-year, $50 million extension or pay him a $1 million bonus back in March and he would have just 1 year left instead of 4.

They exercised the $1 million bonus, so he is under contract for 1 year and the Titans could leave McNair dangling until they have to sign their rookies.

Of course if they do this, they have effectively taken themselves out of the remaining FA market, including the June cuts.

But there is no $50 million extension due.

Agreed, just not for the reason in your post.

I think the preference is for the Titans to work this out themselves, than have the arbitrator to officially rule on it.

1476745[/snapback]

Yeah, I reread the column again at work today. I misread the first time.

He's under contract through 2006. But there is a $50 option the Titans can exercise that will extend the deal to 2010 (won't happen). Titans put this in so that they could spread the bonus hit over more years, and now it's biting them in the rearend.

However, if they do cut him before June 1st, more of the remaining prorated bonus (via the option years) gets charged now. If they cut him after June first, they take a dead money hit on the cap next year.

Here is what I read.

Tennessee Radio Link

That's ridiculous DKF.

McNair could be cut week 6 of the regular season and he'd still get scooped up by another team.

1477622[/snapback]

Did they not jerk Eddie George around for a little bit before releasing him as well?

Either way, Boller is #2 this year. Question is if McNair or Collins is #1.

That's ridiculous DKF.

1477622[/snapback]

The remark about leverage in general not McNair in particular. The date of the release is a bargaining chip and should be used. Common sense. This is a business.