[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thanksgiving Side Dishes

Big Country

For Thanksgving my wife and I have been told to bring the mashed potatoes. She'll do her standard whipped potatoes with lots of sour cream and butter. I'm looking for some tasty alternatives, maybe using sweet potatoes or other starches or veggies or some different types of flavoring agents to go in the potatoes. Any input is welcome.

pizza roles :D

Caramelized Root Vegetables

3 to 4 cups parsnips, peeled, sliced on bias 1/2 inch thick

3 cups carrots, peeled, sliced on bias 1/2 inch thick

3 to 4 cups rutabaga, peeled, sliced in wedges

water

3 tablespoons fresh thyme, minced

2 teaspoons olive oil

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 teaspoon salt

steam the vegetables over boiling water for 6 minutes, until half cooked. Preheat the oven to 375F. Drain the vegetables and toss with the thyme, olive oil, lemon juice, pepper and salt. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, spread the vegetables out on the baking sheet. Roast for 35 minutes or until caramelized and tender. 8 servings.

you can put anything u like on them for seasoning

For Thanksgving my wife and I have been told to bring the mashed potatoes. She'll do her standard whipped potatoes with lots of sour cream and butter. I'm looking for some tasty alternatives, maybe using sweet potatoes or other starches or veggies or some different types of flavoring agents to go in the potatoes. Any input is welcome.

I like to add butternut squash to mashed potatoes. Just boil it along with the potatoes and proceed as normal. Now to make the greatest mashed potatoes of all time, add some duck fat in place of some of the butter. Getting ahold of some can be a bit of a trick if you don't work in a restaurant. When I was briefly out of the game, I used to buy a duck or two often enough to keep me in supply.

pizza roles :D

Caramelized Root Vegetables

3 to 4 cups parsnips, peeled, sliced on bias 1/2 inch thick

3 cups carrots, peeled, sliced on bias 1/2 inch thick

3 to 4 cups rutabaga, peeled, sliced in wedges

water

3 tablespoons fresh thyme, minced

2 teaspoons olive oil

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 teaspoon salt

steam the vegetables over boiling water for 6 minutes, until half cooked. Preheat the oven to 375F. Drain the vegetables and toss with the thyme, olive oil, lemon juice, pepper and salt. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, spread the vegetables out on the baking sheet. Roast for 35 minutes or until caramelized and tender. 8 servings.

you can put anything u like on them for seasoning

How about some other dishes, non mashed potato related?

i'll throw some at you when i get home tonight.

How about some other dishes, non mashed potato related?

11/23/05 9:03am Post #7

Huddler

Member No.: 176

1 lb- unseasoned pork sausage (crumbled) you also want to remove the casings

1/2 C- finely chopped onion

1/2 C- finely chopped celery

1/2 C- butter

1 C- finely chopped unpeeled mcintosh apples

1 C- dried cherries

1/3 C- cherry brandy

1 loaf- french baguette cubed

1/4 tsp- cinnamon

1/4 tsp- mace

1 tsp- salt

1/4 tsp- ground black pepper

1/2- 1 C- chicken broth

pinch nutmeg

pinch dreid sage

pinch dried thyme

brown sausage. saute onions and celery until soft. combine all ingredients. you might want to use an egg to bind.......

spray dish you are going to use to cook. spread stuffing evenly in dish. bake at 425 for 30 min (or unitl golden brown). cover with foil (to prevent burning). lower temp to 350. cook another 1 1/2 hrs until internal temp reaches 150.

This post has been edited by Bier Meister: 11/23/05 10:24pm

Bier posted this last year... I tried it and can say it was great!!

11/23/05 9:03am Post #7

Huddler

Member No.: 176

1 lb- unseasoned pork sausage (crumbled) you also want to remove the casings

1/2 C- finely chopped onion

1/2 C- finely chopped celery

1/2 C- butter

1 C- finely chopped unpeeled mcintosh apples

1 C- dried cherries

1/3 C- cherry brandy

1 loaf- french baguette cubed

1/4 tsp- cinnamon

1/4 tsp- mace

1 tsp- salt

1/4 tsp- ground black pepper

1/2- 1 C- chicken broth

pinch nutmeg

pinch dreid sage

pinch dried thyme

brown sausage. saute onions and celery until soft. combine all ingredients. you might want to use an egg to bind.......

spray dish you are going to use to cook. spread stuffing evenly in dish. bake at 425 for 30 min (or unitl golden brown). cover with foil (to prevent burning). lower temp to 350. cook another 1 1/2 hrs until internal temp reaches 150.

This post has been edited by Bier Meister: 11/23/05 10:24pm

Bier posted this last year... I tried it and can say it was great!!

Sounds tasty. Can I put it in the bird?

sow the of back the bird up a little for a tighter fit . :D:bash:

You may need that but the standard bird is fine for me :clap: Remember to leave it at room temp a while otherwise it's like doin Rosie or Oprah, frigid. :D

cheddar/herb mashed potato gratin

4 slices of bacon (diced)

3/4 C shallots (sliced)

6 C mashed potatoes (if you need help with these let me know)

3 tbs fresh thyme (chopped finely)

1/4 C milk

1 1/2 C shreaded cheddar

pre-heat oven to 400. cook bacon until crisp. remove with a slotted spoon. in bacon fat brown the shallots. stir in mashed potatoes and herbs.... mix in the milk, add more if necessary... season with s&p. transfer to gratin dish...sprinkle cheddar over taters bake until brown...

can use many cheeses for this. emmental is good as is gouda.

cranberry and candied orange chutney

1 large orange

7 C water (divided)

1/2 C sugar

2 cinnamon sticks

1/4 C brown sugar (packed)

1 tbs dark rum

2 tsp apple cidar vinegar

pinch ground allspice

1/2 C cranberries

cut oranges into 1/4 inch rounds. cut rounds into 1/4 cubes. place in sauce pan add 3 C water. bring to boil. reduce heat and simmer about 10 min. drain..rinse...drain. boil again in 3 C water.... rinse and drain again (we are trying to blanch away the bitterness of the rinds).

return oranges to the same pan. add 3/4 C water, 1/2 C sugar, 1 cinn stick to pan and bring to boil. boil gently until water evaporates.

new pan... bring br. sugar, rum, vinegar, allspice, 1/4 C water, 1 cin stick to boil. mix in cranberries. cook until a thick syrup forms (about 10 min). mix in oranges and cook about 1-2 min.

maple glazed sweet potatoes

4 tbs veg oil

4 pounds sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into 3/4 inch chunks)

1/2 C pure maple syrup

3 tbs unsalted butter (cut into 1/2 inch cubes)

preheat oven to 400. oil 2 large rimmed baking sheets (1 tbs each). toss sweet potatoes and rest of oil in a bowl. divide onto the two sheets. sprinkle with s&p. roast until almost tender. turn occationally while it's cooking.

drizzle syrup over potatoes. toss and coat. roast until tender and syrup is reduced to a glaze. (about 20 min). remove from oven.. scatter butter ... let stand until melted.

Awesome Bier- this is perfect! exactly what I need. Making a an early T Giving dinner with my girl Sunday after I check out some of the Sea-SF game in the bay. I will now be making either the cheddar gratin or the sweet potatoes or both. Both of us rooks in the kitchen, will drink some wine and cook away- will be a blast-

Awesome Bier- this is perfect! exactly what I need. Making a an early T Giving dinner with my girl Sunday after I check out some of the Sea-SF game in the bay. I will now be making either the cheddar gratin or the sweet potatoes or both. Both of us rooks in the kitchen, will drink some wine and cook away- will be a blast-

well that the best part !

:D

let me know if you have any questions...happy to help.

cranberry and candied orange chutney

1 large orange

7 C water (divided)

1/2 C sugar

2 cinnamon sticks

1/4 C brown sugar (packed)

1 tbs dark rum

2 tsp apple cidar vinegar

pinch ground allspice

1/2 C cranberries

cut oranges into 1/4 inch rounds. cut rounds into 1/4 cubes. place in sauce pan add 3 C water. bring to boil. reduce heat and simmer about 10 min. drain..rinse...drain. boil again in 3 C water.... rinse and drain again (we are trying to blanch away the bitterness of the rinds).

return oranges to the same pan. add 3/4 C water, 1/2 C sugar, 1 cinn stick to pan and bring to boil. boil gently until water evaporates.

new pan... bring br. sugar, rum, vinegar, allspice, 1/4 C water, 1 cin stick to boil. mix in cranberries. cook until a thick syrup forms (about 10 min). mix in oranges and cook about 1-2 min.

i make sumfin like that everyyear also but use mango's yummy

Add some finely diced chives and a small wheel of smoked gouda cheese. Must be SMOKED gouda though.....First post to the food and beverages finally could find something I could contribute to.