[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Huard signs extension

Randall

Very interesting

"The Kansas City Chiefs have reached an agreement with veteran quarterback Damon Huard on a three-year extension that takes him off the unrestricted market and further dilutes the pool of players who will be available at the position when the free agency signing period begins on Friday.

Financial details were not immediately available on Huard's new deal, but it clearly represents a substantial raise. Huard earned a base salary of $710,000 in 2006, the NFL minimum for a player of his tenure.

The extension provides much-needed security for the Chiefs, who must decide in the offseason about the future of incumbent starter Trent Green, who missed half the 2006 campaign with a head injury. Even when healthy, Green wasn't nearly as effective in 2006 working in a new offense, and, at age 36, is probably nearing the end of his career.

Kansas City may increasingly look to second-year veteran Brodie Croyle, the team's third-round choice in the 2006 draft, as its quarterback of the future. But securing the services of Huard, who probably would have generated interest in the free agent market, provides stability on the depth chart.

Huard, 33, resurrected his career in 2006 when he replaced the injured Green and posted a 5-3 record in eight starts. His performance helped keep the Chiefs alive in the wild card playoff race while Green recovered from the head injury that he sustained in the season opener.

The 10-year veteran completed 148 of 244 passes for 1,878 yards, with 11 touchdown passes and one interception, and an efficiency rating of 98.0. What made the performance more remarkable was that Huard had played so little in previous seasons.

From 2001-2005, Huard started no games and registered just one pass attempt. His last playing time of any consequence came in 1999, when he started five games for the Miami Dolphins.

For his career, Huard has completed 318 of 533 passes for 3,569 yards, with 20 touchdown passes, nine interceptions and a passer rating of 85.2. In addition to Miami (1997-2000), he has played with New England (2001-2003) and Kansas City (2004-2006).

Not sure how I feel about this.

You should feel pretty good I'd imagine as he did a pretty solid job filling in when Green went down. No?

Edited by irish

Two old quarterbacks at the top of the depth chart...

Exactly.

You have two very experienced QBs and Croyle to back them up. If something were to happen to Green again you won't feel too bad going to Huard, if Huard wasn't there you might as well mail it in with just Croyle as a backup. That's solid in my opinion, while in one of the upcoming years you draft or add another young QB as one of the others (Green/Huard) retires.

You have two very experienced QBs and Croyle to back them up. If something were to happen to Green again you won't feel too bad going to Huard, if Huard wasn't there you might as well mail it in with just Croyle as a backup. That's solid in my opinion, while in one of the upcoming years you draft or add another young QB as one of the others (Green/Huard) retires.

This signing is a microcosm of the Chiefs over the Carl Peterson era. Sign players who will get you to 9-7 and an occasional 10-6 and in the playoffs. Keep the stands full and money flowing to the Hunt family.

So forgive me if I'm not excited over a moribund signing destined to accomplish NOTHING for the Chiefs.

I think they should not have brought him back for the exact same reason Garcia isn't in Philly. At the first sign of shaky football by the starter, the hometown crowd would have been demanding the backup. As soon as Green struggles in the least bit, Herm is gonna be in a s-storm.

if Huard wasn't there you might as well mail it in with just Croyle as a backup.

Actually I'd prefer Croyle to start, we need to develop a young QB, and I'd like to see what the kid's got, and yes.....I'm willing to mail it in for the season, but I don't necessarily believe they'd be bad with him as the starter, we don't know what he can do yet.

I seriously question whether Green is coming back next year, at least for the Chiefs ...

right, they've asked him to restructure his contract, and if he doesn't, they might just cut him and take there lumps.

Chiefs sign Huard; Green’s status in doubt

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

File photo

Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Damon Huard had a solid outing in his first start since 2000 against the Denver Broncos Sept. 17, 2006.

Chiefs discussion board

More Chiefs coverage

The Chiefs agreed to contract terms today with Damon Huard, leaving in doubt the future of Trent Green as the starting quarterback.

The three-year deal is worth $7.5 million plus some performance incentives. Huard would have otherwise been an unrestricted free agent on Friday.

Huard said the Chiefs made him no promises about being the starting quarterback.

“All of that is up in the air, I guess,” he said. “I’m not real sure what’s going to happen there. We didn’t talk a whole lot about that. Nothing was guaranteed to me. I’d love to have the chance to be the guy.”

President/general manager Carl Peterson was unavailable for comment. But Peterson has said he would ask Green to take a pay cut from his scheduled base salary of $7.2 million.

Green’s agent, Jim Steiner, told The Kansas City Star this morning he has not heard from the Chiefs regarding a revised contract for Green.

Huard replaced the injured Green for eight games last season and outplayed him. The Chiefs went 5-3 with Huard as their starter and Huard wound up the season as the AFC’s second-rated passer behind only Peyton Manning of Indianapolis.

Edited by Hat Trick