[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

League Issue

alexgaddis

Let me provide a bit of context as Alex was unwilling to do so.

1a) My 10 keepers before the draft:

Brees/T. Jackson/K. Jones/M. Turner/Berrian/Cotchery/Jennings/Reggie Brown/D. Henderson/Witten

Note that I own exactly zero starting running backs and this league is heavily weighted towards running backs.

1b) I bought this team before last year's season and it was arguably the worst team in the league.

2a) The other team's 10 keepers before the draft (he was runner-up last year):

Rivers/Hasselbeck/Steven Jackson/Jones-Drew/Portis/Chad Johnson/R. Wayne/Darrell Jackson/Shockey/Cooley

2b) Dave drafted Jeff Wilkins (3rd overall last year in our league) and New England Patriots defense (allowed the fewest fantasy points per game last year) with his first two picks this year (which mind you were the 1.11 and 2.11). According to the Draft Dominator, his team is tied for #1 for his entire roster (even with only 13 players) and is rated #1 for his starting line-up. So, now, he has three of the top 7 RB's, two of the top 10 and three of the top 15 WR's, and two of the top 6 TE's in our league and has now added a top 3 kicker and one of the best defenses on one of the best teams in the NFL. Yeah, and his QB's suck too. Yup, kick him out of the league, he has no clue what he's doing.

3) Dave would not have done this deal with a team that wasn't likely to have an early second round pick.

4) Despite the fact that Dave routinely says he's going to quit at the beginning of pretty much every season, he pays attention to his team and gets his lineups in on time and does not start scrubs.

5) There is a long line of owners in this league who deserve to be kicked out before me or Dave. There are owners that routinely forget to submit their line-ups, owners who throw games, and there is a litany of trades that make this deal look tame in comparison. Let's review some of them, shall we?

- One owner once traded their 5th round pick straight-up for a 6th round pick

- One owner once traded their early first round pick for Byron Leftwich

Trust me, there are more. Not to mention that the commissioner was once allowed to rule on a dispute involving himself in his own favor.

6a) Because keeping all of those picks would have forced me to draft a roster larger than our league allows, I was forced to trade two of them for one pick (I traded a 5th and 6th round pick for a late 4th round pick)

6b) The team that I traded those picks to had, the previous year, traded almost all of their picks for this year (3 of the 6 they had plus a few extras) leaving them with two 3rd round picks and, I believe, a 6th round pick. Of course, no one objected to that last year.

7) Here are the players I was able to draft with three picks I netted:

3rd round: Dominic Rhodes

4th round: Garrett Wolfe and Robert Meachem

8) Let's review some highlights of the brilliant early round picks in this draft:

First Round: Jerry Porter (1.10) and Isaac Bruce (1.08)

Second Round: Brett Favre (2.02) and Rex Grossman (2.09)

Now, take a second to re-read #7 and #8. The fact that I was able to get Robert Meachem late in the 4th round (4.11) in a 6-round draft for a league that keeps 10 players every year is probably a bit more indicative of the "integrity of the league" than the trade in question.

There are few if any players in the later rounds of the draft that would necessarily be better than a player that could be added in free agency after the start of the season (for example, I picked up Berrian, Cotchery, Henderson and Reggie Brown last year and another owner picked up Colston). It is likely that two of those picks would have been used on a second kicker and/or defense and/or third tight end.

Given the rookie talent that will be available next year, it's difficult to argue that the 4 picks combined would necessarily outweigh, say, the 1st, 2nd or 3rd pick in the second round next year. Furthermore, I don't think that anyone could argue that the 1st, 2nd or 3rd _overall_ pick next year equates to 4 late round picks this year. If you think so, you should probably be kicked out of your league.

Now, if you'd excuse me, I'm going to try and make up for the 15 minutes of my life I just wasted posting on a fantasy football message board.

Kick out the uncaring owner - he has already professed to not wanting to play.

Return all draft picks to their righful place, get a replacement owner (I would assume you'd need to offer a discount to them, since this guy was drafting a K & D when he could have been drafting potentially stud rookies at the very least), and start from the point of the earliest traded pick (the uncaring guys who'll be kicked out).

That's the only way I can see salvaging this league - especially since it is a pay league.

And watch the owner who abused to soon-to-be-kicked-out owner like a hawk. He knew full well what he was doing, and while it was legal, it also was certainly unethical.

Are you serious? Honestly, for your sake, take off the Spock ears, move out of your Mom's basement, and perhaps try dating a woman (of legal age). Or maybe volunteer some time or even just find something meaningful to do.

I can barely contain my laughter.

it's a scumbag move by both owners.

Did you just use the word "scumbag" or was I mysteriously transported back to 1983?

No, you guys are right, you exposed our evil, no, wait, Evil (with a capital "E") plan to ruin and disparage the league. But please don't be angry with us, it's just a desperate cry for help.

As soon as he took that kicker, wht didn't you pull him on the side and talk to him? Seems as if he really was looking to no longer play, and you knew he had doubts. So why not cut it off at that point? Also, once the D was taken and the trade announced, why not jump in right then and there and let the league know that he was having second thoughts about playing? Get it overturned, get him out and start making normal picks as a league for whomever will take over the team.

I know these are friends but don't let these tools ruin it for all involved. I'm curious how you let this all happen, knowing what you knew.

Even better, I think we should schedule an intervention and encourage him to join FFNA (Fantasy Football Nerds Anonymous). He has a serious problem and needs treatment.

Now, if you'd excuse me, I'm going to try and make up for the 15 minutes of my life I just wasted posting on a fantasy football message board.

It's a shame that you destroyed your very thorough (and compelling) analysis with your childish responses to those who had the audacity to comment on this issue. You should have taken your own advice and after wasting "15 minutes" of your life (and some of your allowance just to join and post this response) just gone away. Way, way away.

I see you are still lurking in this thread, so I am sure we'll have the pleasure of reading another response that you'll waste more time in creating.

Edited by The Wolf

Since they keep 10 players each, this trade is not that big of deal. Think of it this way, they start with round 11 (rounds 1 - 10 are kept). This guy traded his 13th, 14th, 15th, and 16th round pick this year for a 12th round pick next year. I wouldnt have done it (I would have taken the opportunity for the extra sleepers), but really not worth getting yourself all upset about it either.

It's a shame that you destroyed your very thorough (and compelling) analysis with your childish responses to those who had the audacity to comment on this issue. You should have taken your own advice and after wasting "15 minutes" of your life (and some of your allowance just to join and post this response) just gone away. Way, way away.

I see you are still lurking in this thread, so I am sure we'll have the pleasure of reading another response that you'll waste more time in creating.

1) You don't have to pay to post on the message boards.

2) If all of the information had been present in the original post, I wouldn't have had to spend the time to clarify the situation.

3) Injecting some humor (something, it seems, many of you need more of) does, in now way, "destroy" my analysis. The facts are the facts.

4) New Jersey sucks.

5) Just kidding about #4.

6) Are you part wolf?

Seriously, to use the logic Alex (a great and dear friend of mine) has used many times with regard to his own trades in this league, I traded:

A (likely early) second round pick next year (a draft that undeniably will be much deeper than this year's)

for

Dominic Rhodes (on the Raiders, suspended for 4 games)

Garrett Wolfe (currently third string)

Robert Meachem (lasted until the 4th round this year)

If Dave had drafted those three players and we made that trade after the draft, no one would have squawked and I defy Alex or anyone else to say otherwise.

I've been in fantasy football leagues for almost 15 years and actually run 2 leagues during that time (one with Alex). But it is, after all, fantasy football, emphasis on the word "fantasy". Or, as I prefer to call it: Jock Dungeons and Dragons. Seriously, everyone needs to lighten up. It's supposed to be fun. If it starts affecting friendships, everyone should take a few years off from it.

If the Saints can trade 8 picks in one year for a player or the Vikings can trade 8 picks over several years for one player and both trades are approved by the NFL, I can't imagine why this trade in a fantasy league should cause so much consternation.

I've been in fantasy football leagues for almost 15 years and actually run 2 leagues during that time (one with Alex). But it is, after all, fantasy football, emphasis on the word "fantasy". Or, as I prefer to call it: Jock Dungeons and Dragons. Seriously, everyone needs to lighten up. It's supposed to be fun. If it starts affecting friendships, everyone should take a few years off from it.

I agree that saying the league needs to disband and you guys need to be kicked out is laughable, I was simply trying to get some opinions on what I viewed as a dumb trade...

and the sole reason it was a dumb trade was not that it was lopsided, it was because Dave had 1.) told me he didn't want to play anymore and 2.) said in the chat log after his second pick that he was "over this", meaning the draft...when an owner gives up and gives away the rest of his draft because he was unprepared, I didn't feel another owner should benefit with 4 extra picks just by giving up a second rounder next year...I talked to Dave and he admitted it was kind of a shady deal...

but the league didn't see a problem with it like I did, so life goes on...I am still excited about my team and can't wait to make week 1 picks-ups...

PS - It is true I did not give every detail of the trade but at the same time, I did not present anything that was not true...I fail to see how I exaggerated...

Edited by alexgaddis

I agree that saying the league needs to disband and you guys need to be kicked out is laughable, I was simply trying to get some opinions on what I viewed as a dumb trade...

and the sole reason it was a dumb trade was not that it was lopsided, it was because Dave had 1.) told me he didn't want to play anymore and 2.) said in the chat log after his second pick that he was "over this", meaning the draft...when an owner gives up and gives away the rest of his draft because he was unprepared, I didn't feel another owner should benefit with 4 extra picks just by giving up a second rounder next year...I talked to Dave and he admitted it was kind of a shady deal...

but the league didn't see a problem with it like I did, so life goes on...I am still excited about my team and can't wait to make week 1 picks-ups...

PS - It is true I did not give every detail of the trade but at the same time, I did not present anything that was not true...I fail to see how I exaggerated...

You clearly said that Dave was a member of Al Qaeda.

:D

Are you serious? Honestly, for your sake, take off the Spock ears, move out of your Mom's basement, and perhaps try dating a woman (of legal age). Or maybe volunteer some time or even just find something meaningful to do.

I can barely contain my laughter.

Apparently Gay Pride isn't taking part in Labor Day festivities this year & you have way too much time on your hands. Thanks for the input, though.