[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

LSU SOS

theeohiostate

It should help, but not necessarily enough to overtake LSU for the rest of the season provided both teams win out.

Quick glance on who the Sun Devils have played so far. Are you impressed enough to think they are that much better than Alabama with that schedule? Granted they did beat Colorado a team the Sooners couldn't handle. But to OK's defense they played that one at home in Tempe. :D

San Jose State (City of Tempe Night) Tempe, Ariz. W, 45-3

09/08/07 vs. Colorado Tempe, Ariz. W, 33-14

09/15/07 vs. San Diego State (Faculty/Staff Appreciation Night) Tempe, Ariz. W, 34-13

09/22/07 vs. Oregon State (Hall of Fame Game) Tempe, Ariz. W, 44-32

09/29/07 at Stanford Palo Alto, Calif. W, 41-3

10/06/07 at Washington State Pullman, Wash. W, 23-20

10/13/07 vs. Washington (Family Weekend/Champions Weekend) Tempe, Ariz. W, 44-20

10/27/07 vs. Cal (Homecoming) Tempe, Ariz. W, 31-20

LMAO, Kentucky lost to 2 3 loss teams already. And They punched you f*ckers in the mouth. Id love nothing more for OU to get LSU in a bowl, even if its not the NC game. Stoops would embarass you the wieght of my head prevents restful sleepers. Its kinda sad the SEC is so down this yr. Any other yr, LSu would have 4 loses by now, with this team.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem with playing in the SEC much like what we are seeing in the Pac 10 this season is when you have several good teams in your conference it becomes much more difficult to get up for games every single weekend regardless of the competition. SEC could make college football bowl history with 11 bowl teams. Ole Miss is the only SEC team that has no shot at qualifying for a bowl game this season.

That's it in a nutshell. Here's the deal, OSU may be the best team in the country, nobody really knows. After all, they're undefeated and they've handled nearly everyone they've played with ease. However, it's a whole lot easier to be unbeaten when the caliber of team you're playing is such that you can roll out your B game against pretty much everyone and still get away with a win. Provided the team your playing isn't a complete joke a close win won't cost you. So, only a few times a year does a team like OSU need to worry about the consequences of not putting forth their best effort.

In the SEC, on the other hand, most teams end up with a gauntlet section of their schedule where any slip up will cost them a win. The likelihood of young players putting forth that consistent level of execution is pretty tough. Problem is, that loss, even if was close and against an elite team will hurt your chances far more than a last second win against a vastly inferior opponent. In reality, it shouldn't.

I don't realize why this is such a hard concept to grasp and makes Sgt. Ryan's constant harping on the number of losses teams have a trivial argument.

I mean, losses are the most overrated thing in college ball. They always have been. For instance, assuming there is any credibility in the rankings, why does Va Tech drop any spots for losing a close game to the #2 team in the country. Going into that game, one would assume they were not as good a team since they were ranked behind them. Guess what, they lost. Why does that make Va Tech any worse relative to the teams who were previously ranked behind them. I mean, all we learned from that game was what we seemed to already think, they're not as good as BC.

Now, you may argue that they didn't deserve to be there to begin with but not that they should move at all based on that specific loss. You could also look at that game and think, "Wow, both of those teams look like crap. Their QBs couldn't hit the broad side of a barn despite the fact that neither D put up an pressure. They both committed countless stupid penalties and fumbled the ball for no reason, etc." and drop both. But if BC stays at 2, why doesn't Va Tech stay at 8 or whatever they were?

As it stands, and as it has been for as long as I can remember, you are simply not rewarded for playing a tough schedule provided that you play in a conference that is a traditionally reputable one. OSU is reaping the benefits of that this year, SC has in the past (though their OC schedule put everyone else to shame). Ironically, the one year that the SEC was truly down recently, the fact was held against Auburn and they were on the outside looking in come January.

LMAO, Kentucky lost to 2 3 loss teams already. And They punched you f*ckers in the mouth. Id love nothing more for OU to get LSU in a bowl, even if its not the NC game. Stoops would embarass you the wieght of my head prevents restful sleepers. Its kinda sad the SEC is so down this yr. Any other yr, LSu would have 4 loses by now, with this team.

:D And OU is so great they lost to an unranked Colorado, barely beat Iowa St. and they drop a spot every week in the BCS. bring it on Like I said I could use some extra money but OU is even more over rated than LSU. and as far as getting punched in the mouth they lost a triple OT game on the road to a team that wanted revenge from the year before, not that bad of a loss compared to OU's loss.

That's it in a nutshell. Here's the deal, OSU may be the best team in the country, nobody really knows. After all, they're undefeated and they've handled nearly everyone they've played with ease. However, it's a whole lot easier to be unbeaten when the caliber of team you're playing is such that you can roll out your B game against pretty much everyone and still get away with a win. Provided the team your playing isn't a complete joke a close win won't cost you. So, only a few times a year does a team like OSU need to worry about the consequences of not putting forth their best effort.

In the SEC, on the other hand, most teams end up with a gauntlet section of their schedule where any slip up will cost them a win. The likelihood of young players putting forth that consistent level of execution is pretty tough. Problem is, that loss, even if was close and against an elite team will hurt your chances far more than a last second win against a vastly inferior opponent. In reality, it shouldn't.

I don't realize why this is such a hard concept to grasp and makes Sgt. Ryan's constant harping on the number of losses teams have a trivial argument.

I mean, losses are the most overrated thing in college ball. They always have been. For instance, assuming there is any credibility in the rankings, why does Va Tech drop any spots for losing a close game to the #2 team in the country. Going into that game, one would assume they were not as good a team since they were ranked behind them. Guess what, they lost. Why does that make Va Tech any worse relative to the teams who were previously ranked behind them. I mean, all we learned from that game was what we seemed to already think, they're not as good as BC.

Now, you may argue that they didn't deserve to be there to begin with but not that they should move at all based on that specific loss. You could also look at that game and think, "Wow, both of those teams look like crap. Their QBs couldn't hit the broad side of a barn despite the fact that neither D put up an pressure. They both committed countless stupid penalties and fumbled the ball for no reason, etc." and drop both. But if BC stays at 2, why doesn't Va Tech stay at 8 or whatever they were?

As it stands, and as it has been for as long as I can remember, you are simply not rewarded for playing a tough schedule provided that you play in a conference that is a traditionally reputable one. OSU is reaping the benefits of that this year, SC has in the past (though their OC schedule put everyone else to shame). Ironically, the one year that the SEC was truly down recently, the fact was held against Auburn and they were on the outside looking in come January.

And again I ask, what has the Southeastern Conference done THIS year, or really, many years that warrants the hype? Honestly. When they go out of conference, against BCS schools, they lose some big games. Tennessee at Cal. Auburn at home to south florida. Miss State vs West Virginia. Alabama vs Florida State. Yes they got some wins in there, but it's hard for me to accept your theory when the conference hasn't done anything to back that up, OTHER THAN having many of their teams ranked. And if the SEC is so freakin' hard to dominate, why did Florida win it nearly every year in the 90's? And Auburn wasn't punished for winning the conference in a down year, they were punished because of (surprise surprise) preseason rankings. USC and Oklahoma got the head start, Auburn didn't. It's that simple. Had nothing to do with conference strength, nor does it ever really. And once again, I want to point out, that if Ohio State has it so easy, then one would think the SEC would absolutely throttle the Big Ten in bowl competition, and that would be completely false, it's been a virtual dead heat in recent years. That 2nd tier of teams that play each other every single year, you would think, if there are so many more good teams in the SEC, that they would have a nearly flawless record. They don't. The SEC could very well be the best conference when it's all said and done in 2007, but they will have proven it on the field, not just had fans and media say they are.

And again I ask, what has the Southeastern Conference done THIS year, or really, many years that warrants the hype? Honestly. When they go out of conference, against BCS schools, they lose some big games. Tennessee at Cal. Auburn at home to south florida. Miss State vs West Virginia. Alabama vs Florida State. Yes they got some wins in there, but it's hard for me to accept your theory when the conference hasn't done anything to back that up, OTHER THAN having many of their teams ranked. And if the SEC is so freakin' hard to dominate, why did Florida win it nearly every year in the 90's? And Auburn wasn't punished for winning the conference in a down year, they were punished because of (surprise surprise) preseason rankings. USC and Oklahoma got the head start, Auburn didn't. It's that simple. Had nothing to do with conference strength, nor does it ever really. And once again, I want to point out, that if Ohio State has it so easy, then one would think the SEC would absolutely throttle the Big Ten in bowl competition, and that would be completely false, it's been a virtual dead heat in recent years. That 2nd tier of teams that play each other every single year, you would think, if there are so many more good teams in the SEC, that they would have a nearly flawless record. They don't. The SEC could very well be the best conference when it's all said and done in 2007, but they will have proven it on the field, not just had fans and media say they are.

But, but, but, the media says the SEC is very tough. You're making my head hurt by making me deal with other possibilities and uncertainties, and all these, like, facts... I like it when I can just thump my chest and parrot out what I've always thought to be true in my simple mind. That the SEC is the baddest league out there because it has all those rabid, passionate fans at Awburn, Alabamee, Tennsesee, Jawja and on and on. Please don't muddy the waters for me with all this talk about OOC schedule and bowl records and all this other 'stuff'.

BC doesn't play a top 30 team rest of season, and if Oregon beats ASU, they will coast in with easy non-top 40 opponents.

OSU may fall to Wisc or Michigan, but at this point LSU is on the outside unable to catch an Oregon or BC

BC does have a top 30 team left ...on the road even...

@ Clemson #25 (BCS) Death Valley is never easy...

and Fl. St is #34...

plus the conference championship game should be against another ranked team (VA TEC II?)...

If BC runs the table at 13-0, nobody is leaping over them... :D

I disagree with that statement. If KU can run the table and win the Big XII Championship they are a shoe in for the NC game.........Man that would be an ugly game to watch. I believe the Bucks would totally destroy KU.

Ok let's don't get carried away quite yet with Kansas. Yeah they are undefeated but have you seen who they have played? Central Michigan, Southeast LA, Toledo, Florida International, Baylor, Colorado and A&M. Not exactly a tough schedule up to this point.

IF Kansas some how wins out including the Big 12 championship game that obviously means they would jump Oklahoma and the loser of the ASU/Oregon game and likely West Virginia. I can't see them jumping anyone else ahead ot them in the current BCS rankings provided those teams ahead of them win out.

BC does have a top 30 team left ...on the road even...

@ Clemson #25 (BCS) Death Valley is never easy...

and Fl. St is #34...

plus the conference championship game should be against another ranked team (VA TEC II?)...

If BC runs the table at 13-0, nobody is leaping over them... :D

Clemson beats BC in that game and BC very well may lose to FL St. I think the Clemson loss is more likely though.

LSU makes every game close. They are not top 3 material, no matter what the BS rankings say. LSU would lose handily to OSU, OU, Oregon, and ASU.

Got to be getting tired of saying that Sarge.

Must be fustrating for you, but pretty sure when the day comes when you are actually right Im sure I'll never hear the end of it. :D

Must be fustrating for you, but pretty sure when the day comes when you are actually right Im sure I'll never hear the end of it. :D

Bascially I'm tired of putting facts in front of Sarge...because no matter what he always thinks he is right..... :D

Also getting old of you denying the obvious too.

The LSU defense you've been proclaiming to be the "best" has been walked all over by mediocre offenses. A solid offense like Oregon would hang an easy 50+ points on them. Sorry John Rocker, but this LSU club should have had several losses and will be an embarrassment if allowed to play in the Superdome against better teams like the Ducks or Bucks, either team would parade up and down the field on that sorry defense. I think it would be uglier then what USC did to OU a few years back. Please do you team some service and pray they don't have to face a team better then last years Irish team in the bowls this season.

Also getting old of you denying the obvious too.

The LSU defense you've been proclaiming to be the "best" has been walked all over by mediocre offenses. A solid offense like Oregon would hang an easy 50+ points on them. Sorry John Rocker, but this LSU club should have had several losses and will be an embarrassment if allowed to play in the Superdome against better teams like the Ducks or Bucks, either team would parade up and down the field on that sorry defense. I think it would be uglier then what USC did to OU a few years back. Please do you team some service and pray they don't have to face a team better then last years Irish team in the bowls this season.

Confident LSU could handle a slow Buckeye team. What would be the best NC game would be Oregon vs. LSU, but then again we would just intimidate the Ducks.

Here's a reason the media and the experts are so called "biased" for the SEC. It has less to do with the teams non-conference schedules and bowl game matchups, and more to do with the overall output of talent in the conference (Not to mention the quality of coaches). They just have more athletes across the board. period. Hence, when they say that the SEC schools play a tougher conference schedule and beat each other up every week, it's because several schools have NFL caliber talent.

Just to throw a little more fuel on the fire:

The Southeastern Conference had 263 players on the 2007 National Football League opening day active rosters, which led all conferences.

The Atlantic Coast Conference was second with 238 players, followed by the Big Ten with 234 players, Pac-10 with 183 players, Big 12 with 176 players and the Big East with 84 players.

Among SEC schools, Georgia was first with 37 former players on NFL rosters, followed by Tennessee with 36, LSU with 33, Florida with 31 and Auburn with 30. Alabama had 21 players on NFL rosters, while South Carolina had 19, Ole Miss and Mississippi State had 17 each, Arkansas had 12, Kentucky six and Vanderbilt with five.

The SEC had five of its schools with 30-or-more-players on NFL rosters. No other conference had two.

Edited by millerx

Here's a reason the media and the experts are so called "biased" for the SEC. It has less to do with the teams non-conference schedules and bowl game matchups, and more to do with the overall output of talent in the conference (Not to mention the quality of coaches). They just have more athletes across the board. period. Hence, when they say that the SEC schools play a tougher conference schedule and beat each other up every week, it's because several schools have NFL caliber talent.

Just to throw a little more fuel on the fire:

The Southeastern Conference had 263 players on the 2007 National Football League opening day active rosters, which led all conferences.

The Atlantic Coast Conference was second with 238 players, followed by the Big Ten with 234 players, Pac-10 with 183 players, Big 12 with 176 players and the Big East with 84 players.

Among SEC schools, Georgia was first with 37 former players on NFL rosters, followed by Tennessee with 36, LSU with 33, Florida with 31 and Auburn with 30. Alabama had 21 players on NFL rosters, while South Carolina had 19, Ole Miss and Mississippi State had 17 each, Arkansas had 12, Kentucky six and Vanderbilt with five.

The SEC had five of its schools with 30-or-more-players on NFL rosters. No other conference had two.

And with all of that, wouldn't you think the SEC would do a LITTLE better outside of the conference? Wouldn't you think that those fast athletic nfl littered SEC teams would have a better than .500 record vs the slow fat always overrated, easy to beat by Ohio State, Big Ten teams in bowl games in this century? I would think so, as a matter of fact, if I was a diehard fan of an SEC team, I would hope so. Bottom line is, the SEC, while being IMO, over the years the best conference when you look at body of work, and as you clearly pointed out, tons of nfl talent, is also the most overrated conference. Because as good as they are, they aren't THAT good.

How do you figure that one :D

It's pretty obvious looking at the BCS standings, and the points you get for beating another BCS top 5, that Oregon would surpass LSU with a decent margin.

Wanna bet? :wacko:

we will find out shortly :D I still say Oregon does not pass them. Still need one more. I'm starting to believe your Miles theory though last nites coaching was pathetic in the second and third quarters. no Hester and no throws to Doucet and we won't even talk about that fourth and inches call. if it was not for their superior talent they would be in big trouble.

we will find out shortly :D I still say Oregon does not pass them. Still need one more. I'm starting to believe your Miles theory though last nites coaching was pathetic in the second and third quarters. no Hester and no throws to Doucet and we won't even talk about that fourth and inches call. if it was not for their superior talent they would be in big trouble.

Glad to see you notice that coach you guys have there and the reason us Bucks fans are praying he comes to scUM.

He will cost this team a NC , you can bank on it. He's out to see how witty he can be and it's being reported by ESPN now that some question his play calling. He has a great team and feels he can get away with anything, but you know in this sport a few bad plays can cost you a win.

4th and inches play was designed to pull Bama offsides. LSU would have punted if it didn't work. My biggest concern with Coach Miles team is that they seem so undisciplined. Reminds me of Haslett's Saints teams. It cost them the Kentucky game and could have cost them against Bama.

4th and inches play was designed to pull Bama offsides. LSU would have punted if it didn't work. My biggest concern with Coach Miles team is that they seem so undisciplined. Reminds me of Haslett's Saints teams. It cost them the Kentucky game and could have cost them against Bama.

First off, you don't put your kids in that situation on 4th down with the game on the line....either punt or do a QB sneak...

2nd, if you are planing to draw the Def. offsides with a trick play/or shift, then notify the officials of the play so they are not caught off guard, which seemed to be the case....all 4 officals threw a flag as soon as LSU shifted....needless to say they got it wrong.

Instead it wound up 4th and 20 with a PR for a TD. which almost cost them the game.

Confident LSU could handle a slow Buckeye team. What would be the best NC game would be Oregon vs. LSU, but then again we would just intimidate the Ducks.

With the points that LSU's opponents are putting up the Ducks would put 45 points on that defense. You better hope that Oregon doesn't play your Tigers because it would get UGLY!

With the points that LSU's opponents are putting up the Ducks would put 45 points on that defense. You better hope that Oregon doesn't play your Tigers because it would get UGLY!

It would be an entertaining game although I think LSU's offense would also have no problem putting up points against any Pac 10 defense.

Bascially I'm tired of putting facts in front of Sarge...because no matter what he always thinks he is right..... :D

What facts, this so called vaunted D is giving up 30 pts a game, to lesser teams. Bama, Kentucky, they wouldnt score 30 pts a game on OU or OSU. The LSU offense is as big of a joke as Rockerbraves.

Bottom line, this LSU team is good, but not top 5 good. The rest of the SEC is pedestrian at best, and those teams are having to give the game away to LSU for them to win.