[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

BCS Overview

muck

In alphbetical order, here are the teams that deserve a mention for the NC game, and pros and cons for each:

Georgia -- heading into the weekend, was #4 in each poll, #5 in computer poll and #4 in BCS

Pros: four ranked wins (11, 16, 18, 23), two were on the road

Cons: two unranked losses (S.Carolina is 6-6; Tennessee is 9-4); didn't play for Conference title

Kansas -- was #6 and #5t in each poll, #4 in the computers and #5 in the BCS

Pros: only of three teams with 0 or 1 loss; one ranked win (24)

Cons: didn't play for Conference title; lost to Missouri

Hawaii -- was #10 in both polls, #14 in the computers and #12 in the BCS

Pros: only undefeated team in Division I-A; one ranked win (19)

Cons: poor strength of schedule

Louisana State -- was #5 and #7 in the two polls, #7 in the computers and #7 in the BCS

Pros: six ranked wins (9, 9, 12, 14, 17, 17); won the SEC; beat Virginia Tech by 41 points

Cons: one unranked loss (Arkansas is 8-4)

Missouri -- was #1 and #2 in the polls, #1 in the computers and #1 in the BCS

Pros: three ranked wins (2, 24, 25); beat Kansas

Cons: lost to Oklahoma twice (only two losses); lost Big 12 title

Ohio State -- was #3 across the board

Pros: only one of three teams with 0 or 1 loss; four ranked wins (21, 21, 23, 25); won the Big 10 title

Cons: one unranked loss (Illinois is 9-3)

Oklahoma -- was #8 in both polls, #12 in the computers and #9 in the BCS

Pros: three ranked wins (1, 11, 19); won the Big 12; beat Missouri twice

Cons: two unranked losses (Colorado is 6-6; Texas Tech is 8-4)

Southern California -- was #9 in both polls, #10t in the computers and #8 in the BCS

Pros: three ranked wins (6, 14, 24); won the PAC-10

Cons: one unranked loss (Stanford is 4-8)

Virginia Tech -- was #7 and #5t in both polls, #6 in the computers and #6 in the BCS

Pros: three ranked wins (11, 16, 22); two losses each were ranked #2 in the country at the time of the loss; avenged one of the two losses later on

Cons: lost to LSU by 41 points

West Virginia -- was #1 and #2 in the two polls, #2 in the computers and #2 in the BCS

Pros: three ranked wins (20, 22, 25); won the Big East

Cons: one unranked loss (Pittsburgh is 5-7)

If I were in charge of picking the two teams to play for the NC this year, I'd have to have a process of elimination.

Q: Who lost to vastly inferior teams?

A: USC lost to Stanford (4-8) and West Virginia lost to Pittsburgh (5-7) ... both are out of consideration; you can't be the NC if you lose to a bad Stanford team

...we're down to eight...Georgia, Kansas, Hawaii, Louisana State, Missouri, Ohio State, Oklahoma and Virginia Tech...

Q: Who lost to more than one unranked team?

A: Georgia and Oklahoma did. They're out of consideration; anyone can have an off-week against a good opponent, but the NC doesn't get to have two of them. Sorry fellas.

...we're down to six...Kansas, Hawaii, Louisana State, Missouri, Ohio State and Virginia Tech...

Q: Did any of the remaining six lose to any of the original ten teams under consideration?

A: Misouri lost to Oklahoma (twice), Kansas lost to Missouri and Virginia Tech lost to LSU. See ya MU, KU and VaTech.

...down to three...Hawaii, Louisana State and Ohio State...

So for me, there are only three teams that haven't at one point or another shat the proverbial bed in route to trying to win a NC. If two of these three teams are playing, I'm fine with it. I'm really super extra fine with it if Hawaii is in it.

Arkansas nor Kentucky are ranked now, so they obviously proved not to be worthy of being ranked over their body of work. Same goes for wins over S Carolina and Alabama.

So in essence, LSU beat 4 ranked teams this yr, and lost 2 to unranked teams, one on the road just last week to Arkansas.

And when you lose at home in the last week game of the regularseason, as the #1 team, and are defeated not once but twice as #1, shame on you. You do not deserve yet another chance. That is called shiating the bed in my book.

Sorry, LSU doesnt deserve to get in. Plus the idiot their HC seems to be, competence should count for something.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

I like the break down with the pros and cons provided in the initial post but I do have one issue that Sgt. Ryan already touched on. If you're going to include the rankings of the opponents that each team beat or lost to then they should be current rankings, not what they were ranked when they played.

As for who should be playing in the NC game... I don't like them and I'm not impressed by them but OSU should be a no-brainer simply because they won the Big 10 (down or not) and their damage control (avoiding losses) was clearly better than the other teams with BCS schedules. For their opponent I could make an argument for just about every other team in the top 10 so I won't even bother.

I am a huge college football fan and would've loved to see Mizzou/WVU contrary to how many others felt about the lack of true football powers being in the big game. I would've even enjoyed WVU/Mizzou vs OSU. Unfortunately, the football snobs er... fans of college football royalty got their wish and two "big time" programs will be playing for the NC. I gotta tell ya though, I'm not excited about it because the NC game will now be no more significant than any other bowl game. It may present two very good teams and a very good game but beyond that the current situation renders it pretty much meaningless.

The real crime in all this is the fact that the powers that be will take all of the debate over who's most deserving and say that this is great for college football. Just look at all the attention this mess will garner.

Louisana State -- was #5 and #7 in the two polls, #7 in the computers and #7 in the BCS

Pros: six ranked wins (9, 9, 12, 14, 17, 17); won the SEC; beat Virginia Tech by 41 points

Cons: one unranked loss (Arkansas is 8-4)

Correction. LSU lost to TWO unranked teams.

If your going to put out this misinformation, then why not say the Bucks beat #2 Michigan, since Michigan was ranked there at one point in the season ?

Q: Who lost to more than one unranked team?

A: Georgia and Oklahoma did. They're out of consideration; anyone can have an off-week against a good opponent, but the NC doesn't get to have two of them. Sorry fellas.

...we're down to six...Kansas, Hawaii, Louisana State, Missouri, Ohio State and Virginia Tech...

LSU did as well, so there goes LSU using your formula

Correction. LSU lost to TWO unranked teams.

If your going to put out this misinformation, then why not say the Bucks beat #2 Michigan, since Michigan was ranked there at one point in the season ?

I think was Michigan was 5 early on, but we all knew this was a rebuilding year for UofM... what with all the returning seniors :D

I pray for a Bowl victory for the Wolverines..

My vote for NC game? OSU (great pain to write that) and OU. Would be good football with Boekman a 23 year old senior and Bradford a 18 or 19 year old red-shirt. Would love to see OU put 200+ yards on the ground agaisnt OSU.