[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bizarre referee play...

ABearWithFurniture

Anybody notice the back line judge knock down number 99 on the Bears on the last Redskins TD extra point right before they snapped the ball? Totally took the guy out of the play...too funny...

yea, it looked like the ref was tapping him to get him to move or something

Seen this alot recently. `He is repositioning the guy to not be, in his mind, so directly over the center as to get a penalty. Why they do this but don't move guys out of the neutral zone, or don't remind tackles at the end of the formation to repot as eligible is beyond me. I suspect that since the rule about lining up directly over center is a safety precaution, and since the penalty is a minor one and would only adversely effect the flow of the game on extra points they have been instructed to move offenders. I notice they do not do so on field goals, at least I have not seen it yet. I suspect because a penalty, even of only five yards, is much more relevant out on the open field of play and because more significant points are involved.

This has troubled me for a while now though. Watch for it though and you will see it during the course of just about any game. The official will run in their and tap the guy to move him over a smidge. Eventually the league will have to explain this new policy, for it clearly has become fairly common practice.

My first question when reading the title was...is it referring to the guy lined up over the center? As a former long-snapper myself, I can assure you that it is very easy to get hurt in a football pile when you cannot move or see. I actually like the way this was executed. Rather than calling a penalty on every extra point and field goal, they are letting the refs make sure that the snapper stays reasonably safe. Kudos.