[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rivers is a STUD

McBoog

No, it's not, but to go in that direction shows how weak your argument is.

By the 2nd quarter it was very obvious that Rivers was struggling to get the ball downfield with significant zip. NE was playing run and using a soft secondary that gave some large seams, obviously seeing that Rivers was struggling getting the ball downfield in a hurry. NE turned the SD O 1-dimensional and forced Rivers to get the ball into the end zone, especially when the field got compacted in the red zone and coverage tightened. He couldn't do it, plain & simple. NE was willing to give up FGs on those drives, knowing that SD couldn't beat them that way. NE was able to play it safe because of Rivers' injury, knowing that there was little to no risk of losing playing it that way. Hell, the only reason the game was so close is because SD's D was so damn good, forcing brady to turnover the ball. It was a damn shame to waste that kind of effort.

If your man-love of Rivers is that great that you can't see that his injury affectedc his play, and consequently greatly affected SD's capability of winning the game, that's fine. Just say so. But to make analogies that border on the absurd isn't helping your cause.

couldn't agree more - I don't get this bchit about how courageous Rivers was....... I am guessing Turner probly gave him the go ahead bc he had goetten them to the AFC title game- and e deserved a shot to play BUT - at the end of the day it is a selfish azz move, and a horrible call by Turner. At the very least he should have yanked him at the half.

LT had the balls to say hey,, Turner and Sproles are more effective than I am at 50% - that is a teammate.

I can't believe people are questioning LT and giving Rivers props for being so courageous- what a joke.

Rivers sucked- obviously hobbled and had no zip on his throws- a total waste considering how beatable NE was.....

Volek has shown to be an effective QB, and he looked solid vs Indy

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Norv Turner is an idiot. That's all I am saying. Marty should have never been fired. And have you ever heard of Jeff Hostetler? Back up with a Super Bowl Ring. Volek Gave them the beter chance to win. Bottom line....

I agree that Marty got a bum deal, and generally speaking Norv is a better offensive coordinator than head coach. Most people feel that way... But again I don't know how we can assume that Volek gives them a better chance to win. We will never know that. But I will say this - if Norv or any coach knew that Rivers' ACL was torn (and they did from what I can tell), what does it say about the team's confidence level in Volek that they elected to play Rivers anyway (and keep him in the whole game)?

WOW! :D Did you just compare Brett Favre and Phillip Rivers? Brett most likely would have done a better job on a bum knee. And he has been there before. Almost 300 consecutive games played. C'mon Brett deserves a little more respect than that doesn't he?

It was an analogy, not a comparison. I think most people would agree that Favre > Rivers.

Volek has shown to be an effective QB, and he looked solid vs Indy

I'd say there are about a half dozen '2nd stringers' oin certain teams that could start in places like Atlanta, Kansas City, Miami etc. I'd venture to say Volek might be one of them, so just because he isn't as good as Rivers in no way means he's a bs start in a playoff game. Schaub and Garrard come immediately to mind here as 2 guys who warmed the bench on one team but got the nod (Garrard on his own team, Schaub getting moved).

Heck, Kitna's getting up there as well so add Detroit to that list.

But again I don't know how we can assume that Volek gives them a better chance to win.

No one knows that, but the outcome couldn't have been worse, now could it? (Unless we are talking gambling on SD minus the points). It was obvious by the 2nd quarter that Rivers was protecting his hurt leg. It was also obvious that NE went conservative on D, taking away the run & playing soft in the secondary because it didn't feel threatened being beaten by Rivers in his condition. Look at how much time Harrison spent near the LoS.

Rivers couldn't get SD in the endzone, and that's what SD needed to be capable of pulling off an upset. The SD D stepped up to the plate big-time and was up to their end of the task. Tomlinson knew he wasn't going to be effective, so he stepped aside & let Turner - who we all know is a very competent NFL RB - take his place. That took balls given the magnitude of the game - you just know that was killing LT not to play. SD couldn't win with a hurt Rivers at QB. They may not have won with Volek in there, either. But by sticking with a hurt Rivers, the outcome of the game was assured. I'd risk a chance at an opinion that all the SD players wanted was a chance to win. They didn't get it.

Edited by Bronco Billy

No one knows that, but the outcome couldn't have been worse, now could it? (Unless we are talking gambling on SD minus the points). It was obvious by the 2nd quarter that Rivers was protecting his hurt leg. It was also obvious that NE went conservative on D, taking away the run & playing soft in the secondary because it didn't feel threatened being beaten by Rivers in his condition. Look at how much time Harrison spent near the LoS.

Rivers couldn't get SD in the endzone, and that's what SD needed to be capable of pulling off an upset. The SD D stepped up to the plate big-time and was up to their end of the task. Tomlinson knew he wasn't going to be effective, so he stepped aside & let Turner - who we all know is a very competent NFL RB - take his place. That took balls given the magnitude of the game - you just know that was killing LT not to play. SD couldn't win with a hurt Rivers at QB. They may not have won with Volek in there, either. But by sticking with a hurt Rivers, the outcome of the game was assured. I'd risk a chance at an opinion that all the SD players wanted was a chance to win. They didn't get it.

MIchael Turner getting stuffed on 3rd and 1 inside the 5 early in the 2nd half when it was 14 to 9 didn't give you the thought that San Diego was in the game? Seau admittedly gambled and shot the gap on that play, ignoring the tackle eligible. If Turner converts there, SD is leading at 16 to 14 with Rivers at QB.

And what about when Rivers hit Gates in the endzone but Bruschi broke it up? Gates normally wouldn't be caught in that situation but he was slowed by his injury.

You keep saying the outcome was assured with Rivers in there. Those two plays "with Rivers in there" say otherwise.

MIchael Turner getting stuffed on 3rd and 1 inside the 5 early in the 2nd half when it was 14 to 9 didn't give you the thought that San Diego was in the game? Seau admittedly gambled and shot the gap on that play, ignoring the tackle eligible. If Turner converts there, SD is leading at 16 to 14 with Rivers at QB.

And what about when Rivers hit Gates in the endzone but Bruschi broke it up? Gates normally wouldn't be caught in that situation but he was slowed by his injury.

You keep saying the outcome was assured with Rivers in there. Those two plays "with Rivers in there" say otherwise.

Still comes down to play calling...I believe that was an outside run, when all they needed to do was run Turner behind Lorenzo Neal UP THE MIDDLE. Or even run a bootleg...wait a minute....their QB couldn't run. IT ALL GOES BACK TO COACHING! Norv Turner is an IDIOT.

Edited by KSUChiefsTarheelFan

This is one of those toss ups in my opinion, but coaches like Norv typically go the conservative route (as evidenced with the punt that basically ended the game). He must not have had the confidence that Volek would have done better (and Rivers did get them into the red zone a few times). Does anyone have a link or info on what sort of response Norv gave if anyone asked about why they didn't play Volek?

Good point on LT, and it did take serious balls for him to step back, but it really puts players in a tough spot on what to do when they're hurt like that. Their whole lives they're taught to deal with the pain and play through it unless the team doctors say you can't play. Clearly a knee injury is a much bigger blow to LT's game than to Rivers'. But I don't think we can call Rivers selfish for wanting to play because it's what players learn through the culture of football. The coaches are the ones who needed to step up and do what was best for the team.

That being said, it kind of sucks that we didn't get a chance to see if Volek would have been better. I guess they thought they were better off with Rivers in there.

Don't forget the Chambers TD catch that wasn't because he couldn't get his feet down in the back of the end zone.

Still comes down to play calling...I believe that was an outside run, when all they needed to do was run Turner behind Lorenzo Neal UP THE MIDDLE. Or even run a bootleg...wait a minute....their QB couldn't run. IT ALL GOES BACK TO COACHING! Norv Turner is an IDIOT.

Lorenzo Neal's been out several weeks. He didn't play. :D

LT had the balls to say hey,, Turner and Sproles are more effective than I am at 50% - that is a teammate.

I can't believe people are questioning LT and giving Rivers props for being so courageous- what a joke.

i agree with alot of what you wrote but not these two points ...while i have no issue with LT pulling himself out of the game ( only knows if he could have went or not ) , fact he sat on the bench the whole time by himself like an old man sleeping did not sit right with me

fact that Rivers gave it a go and for the whole game , i do find worthy of praise but its up to the coach to have made the decision to go with Volek ( which he probably should have )

oh i watched. i saw Pinnock listed in the starting lineup. let's go to the videotape. :D

San Diego Chargers at 5:07 1st Quarter scoring drive

1-10-NE 40 (5:07) M.Turner left guard to NE 35 for 5 yards (E.Hobbs).

PENALTY on NE-V.Wilfork, Face Mask (15 Yards), 15 yards, enforced at NE 35. X4

1-10-NE 20 (4:53) M.Turner left end to NE 20 for no gain (A.Thomas, E.Hobbs).

2-10-NE 20 (4:13) P.Rivers pass short left to C.Chambers pushed ob at NE 9 for 11 yards (E.Hobbs). P5

1-9-NE 9 (3:46) M.Turner up the middle to NE 8 for 1 yard (R.Seymour, V.Wilfork).

2-8-NE 8 (3:10) P.Rivers pass incomplete short right to L.Neal.

3-8-NE 8 (3:05) (Shotgun) P.Rivers pass incomplete short middle

4-8-NE 8 (2:59) N.Kaeding 26 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-D.Binn, Holder-M.Scifres.

RBs run. QBs throw. there's the difference.

...and its much easier for a RB to step in and play.

i don't get the LT debate. he was hurt. if a RB has a bum knee then he's not much use.

if a QB has a bum knee, he can still throw. apart from the downfield pick, i don't see where Rivers was a problem.

I concur with rebdog.

i agree with alot of what you wrote but not these two points ...while i have no issue with LT pulling himself out of the game ( only knows if he could have went or not ) , fact he sat on the bench the whole time by himself like an old man sleeping did not sit right with me

fact that Rivers gave it a go and for the whole game , i do find worthy of praise but its up to the coach to have made the decision to go with Volek ( which he probably should have )

that's cool- my point is just LT did the right thing by sitting- now could he have been a better cheerleader?? yeah- but the dude was probably crushed and it was -24 out........

Rivers, ehh not buying it - I mean, there is playing hurt- but once you cross the line of doing more damage than good by playing - time to sit.

Norv is to blame as well, fo sure- I just think he was givin the guy who got em to the dance a go at it........ i think by halftime it was pretty obvious that a change should have been made.