[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Calling all smokers....

Jimmy Neutron

Yup...thats it.

Not sure why they have two sites:

bbqwoods.com

Same outfit. I order from the all the time. Great people to deal with.

Cool - thanks to you both. I'm afraid my butcher bill is going to go through the roof. :wacko:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought the smoker today plus 4 10 lb. bags of lump charcoal and a 5 lb. bag of every kind of smoking wood they had. :D (I am also ordering from the link above - I just couldn't wait for delivery!) I am a little :D about this new hobby. I've kinda smoked BBQ in the past on gas and regular charcoal grills, but this is the real McCoy - too cool.

Next question - do you guys lay meat right on the racks, or in/on pans or tins? I read a lot of both today. The pans and tins sound good because they'd keep the smoker much cleaner, but it seems like the meat would not absorb as much smoke this way. :wacko:

First up - a nice pork shoulder because I read today that they are the hardest to screw up. :brew:

Edited by Jimmy Neutron

Bought the smoker today plus 4 10 lb. bags of lump charcoal and a 5 lb. bag of every kind of smoking wood they had. :D (I am also ordering from the link above - I just couldn't wait for delivery!) I am a little :D about this new hobby. I've kinda smoked BBQ in the past on gas and regular charcoal grills, but this is the real McCoy - too cool.

Next question - do you guys lay meat right on the racks, or in/on pans or tins? I read a lot of both today. The pans and tins sound good because they'd keep the smoker much cleaner, but it seems like the meat would not absorb as much smoke this way. :wacko:

First up - a nice pork shoulder because I read today that they are the hardest to screw up. :brew:

Always put the meat on the grate.

Edited by Chief Dick

I do it directly on the rack and sometimes will put a drip pan filled with beans below what I am smoking....

I figured on the rack was the way to go for ultimate flavor - thanks guys. :wacko:

Good tip on the beans below, too. Gonna try that.

Is it the weekend yet?

Here's a recipe that works well...

2 - 16 oz cans of beans ( I use Bush Baked Beans)

Drain sauce out of can and discard.

3/4 cup BBQ sauce

1/4 cup chopped onion

1/4 cup chopped and peeled red pepper (grill it then peel the skin)

1 cup chopped smoked pork or brisket (or use bacon)

2 tablespoons honey

3/4 teaspoon paprika

1/4 teaspoon dry mustard

1 tablespoon horseradish

And if you use a rub throw a tablespoon of that in there

Serves 6

Fold together all ingredients in a large bowl. Transfer to an aluminum baking pan. Place

in smoker uncovered at medium heat (225 F- 275 F.) for about 90 minutes or until heated though.

I usually do this towards the end of a rib smoking session, but it works under a shoulder as well!

Here's a recipe that works well...

2 - 16 oz cans of beans ( I use Bush Baked Beans)

Drain sauce out of can and discard.

3/4 cup BBQ sauce

1/4 cup chopped onion

1/4 cup chopped and peeled red pepper (grill it then peel the skin)

1 cup chopped smoked pork or brisket (or use bacon)

2 tablespoons honey

3/4 teaspoon paprika

1/4 teaspoon dry mustard

1 tablespoon horseradish

And if you use a rub throw a tablespoon of that in there

Serves 6

Fold together all ingredients in a large bowl. Transfer to an aluminum baking pan. Place

in smoker uncovered at medium heat (225 F- 275 F.) for about 90 minutes or until heated though.

I usually do this towards the end of a rib smoking session, but it works under a shoulder as well!

Nice - thank you. I'll try that this weekend. :wacko:

TD rewards my patience with the demonstration of his wisdom.

There can be only one.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/htdocs/404.html

Then you must wait. You must experience patience. That which we want most, sometimes requires a greater sacrifice. The Egg is waiting for you. It is patient. Go forth and do good deeds. The Egg will be there when you need it most.

Unta speaks the truth!!

Except I believe in psychology. And I'm much more handsome.

Well, mostly... :wacko:

In other words, sell your car and take the bus from now on if you must. Untateve believes that the BGE was created by God himself and may be worth the selling of your first born to posses its power. :D

My wife agrees with me that the Big Green Egg was the single best investment we made when we bought our house 2 years ago. Your wife would too.

I may go for the BGE here once I get my feet wet. :wacko:

I do have a question:

I've got the smoker all put together and have a good set of coals burning in the firebox. I heard mixed opinions on the matter, so I decided to err on the side of caution and "season" the smoker by getting it hot and rubbed down with oil/fat.

The problem I see is that there is some ash blowing around. It is windy. (I did not soak the wood blocks I threw in for kicks.)

Do you guys with traditional smokers use some kind of baffle to keep ash out of the smoking chamber, or just consider it seasoning?

TAIA

I may go for the BGE here once I get my feet wet. :wacko:

I do have a question:

I've got the smoker all put together and have a good set of coals burning in the firebox. I heard mixed opinions on the matter, so I decided to err on the side of caution and "season" the smoker by getting it hot and rubbed down with oil/fat.

The problem I see is that there is some ash blowing around. It is windy. (I did not soak the wood blocks I threw in for kicks.)

Do you guys with traditional smokers use some kind of baffle to keep ash out of the smoking chamber, or just consider it seasoning?

TAIA

You definitely need to season the smoker. For my smoker, I seasoned it with apple wood so I would always have a sweet background to my smoking. I started my coals (kingsford) outside the smoker so they would burn off for awhile before I put 'em in the smoker. That way you don't get any lighter fluid smoke or the black, acrid smoke getting into your smoker.

Then, after you transfer the white coals from an outside area to the smoker, you then add the wood to season the smoker.

You definitely need to season the smoker. For my smoker, I seasoned it with apple wood so I would always have a sweet background to my smoking. I started my coals (kingsford) outside the smoker so they would burn off for awhile before I put 'em in the smoker. That way you don't get any lighter fluid smoke or the black, acrid smoke getting into your smoker.

Then, after you transfer the white coals from an outside area to the smoker, you then add the wood to season the smoker.

Cool - sounds like I did OK. I started some lump charcoal in my chimney starter and let it burn down a little before I put it in the fire box. Lighter fluid is a :wacko: at this house. I added a little of everything to my first burn - one at a time - a little hickory, peach, cherry, apple, pecan, white oak, mesquite and alder - just wanted to sense the smells myself before I start throwing good meat in there.

I've got a new thermometer coming for the smoker door and a new meat thermometer and BBQ book came from Amazon today. This weekend is gonna be fun. Thanks for all your help. :D

I cannot believe that you still use lighter fluid. Get one of the chimney starters and never use fluid again!

Are you smoking the pork shoulder this weekend?

Got two big boston butts in the fridge marinating in a dry rub. They smell awesome raw. :wacko:

I have three big chickens in the smoker now. Apple and alder pouring the smoke to 'em. :brew:I don't have a thermometer in the smoker yet - it's coming in the mail. This is a true experiment. :D Starting to smell the chickens on top of the smoke though. :homerdrool:

IBut I figured JN might.

No way, bro. Chimney all the way. I was dumb and bought a new super-duty cool looking black one. First load lit and all the paint burned off. :D

Got two big boston butts in the fridge marinating in a dry rub. They smell awesome raw. :wacko:

I have three big chickens in the smoker now. Apple and alder pouring the smoke to 'em. :brew:I don't have a thermometer in the smoker yet - it's coming in the mail. This is a true experiment. :D Starting to smell the chickens on top of the smoke though. :homerdrool:

No way, bro. Chimney all the way. I was dumb and bought a new super-duty cool looking black one. First load lit and all the paint burned off. :D

You can buy a hand held digital thermometer to take the internal temp of the meat. I find medium rare chicken unappealing.

You can buy a hand held digital thermometer to take the internal temp of the meat. I find medium rare chicken unappealing.

I've got an old school probe meat thermometer I'll try when I think they are close.

Judas they smell good now. The neighbors are circling like buzzards. :wacko:

Thanks again for all your help. This is a total blast.

This weekend is my anniversary and we're sending the kids away and holding festivities here at the house.

I hope Mrs. Nuetron is understanding when I have to call time-out to go check on my butts. :wacko:

Thanks again for all your help. This is a total blast.

This weekend is my anniversary and we're sending the kids away and holding festivities here at the house.

I hope Mrs. Nuetron is understanding when I have to call time-out to go check on my butts. :wacko:

There is nothing like an over night smoke when you go to sneak in a few hours sleep and the wife complains of the bedroom smelling like smoke at 3 a.m. !! :D

But you know you can get up and enjoy a beer in alittle while...

...and the wife complains of the bedroom smelling like smoke at 3 a.m. !! :brew:

I am learning that downside of real bbq now - I smell like I've been camping. :D

The birds turned out great considering I just rubbed 'em down and threw 'em in. I did learn that my smoker eats a lot of charcoal and that bigger chunks of smoke wood are the way to go. Some of the sweet woods were only available in chips and they make good smoke, but it doesn't last. I am going to spend the summer cruising the local fruit orchards for free supplies. :D

The butts are going on at 2:00 AM tomorrow morning. :wacko:

I am learning that downside of real bbq now - I smell like I've been camping. :D

The birds turned out great considering I just rubbed 'em down and threw 'em in. I did learn that my smoker eats a lot of charcoal and that bigger chunks of smoke wood are the way to go. Some of the sweet woods were only available in chips and they make good smoke, but it doesn't last. I am going to spend the summer cruising the local fruit orchards for free supplies. :D

The butts are going on at 2:00 AM tomorrow morning. :wacko:

how many pounds are the butts and what will be your temp for smoking?