[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kevin Smith

ROYALWITCHEESE

You sure about that? :

2nd among rookies in the 3-cone drill (a measure of quickness and change of direction:

Rice, Ray 6.65

Smith, Kevin 6.74

Charles, Jamaal 6.80

Forte, Matt 6.84

Hester, Jacob 6.85

Alridge, Anthony 6.88

Choice, Tashard 6.88

Jones, Felix 6.90

Parmele, Jalen 6.96

Forsett, Justin 6.96

Kevin Smith analysis

Funny how some of the same negatives you are saying about Smith, are said about your boy McFadden...

For the umpteenth time, who cares about those freakin numbers!?!?!??? Watch some football already!! I'm simply saying what I noticed when I watched film. I went into the Smith gamefilm with a completely open mind. Like I said, I actually was thinking I was going to like the guy, and I was high on him after reading his measurables and seeing his body frame. I just didn't come away as impressed as I would have liked, thats all.

Second, it is absolutely impossible to watch a lot of tape on McFadden and not come away thinking this guy is the next coming. NFL people were all really high on him, so who really cares what some analyst who has never played the game thinks. I mean seriously, Smith and McFadden should not be mentioned in the same paragraph from this point forward. Watch tape and decide for yourself. It is like night and day. Nothing I can say will sway your opinion. Look for yourself.

Royalwithcheese,

Seahawk and I are just giving you our opinions on KSmith, which is what I thought you wanted. You obviously like the guys prospects, while we do not. Let's just leave it at that and revisit this discusion during the season. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

On that note I'm also not that big on McFadden. I think Stewart and Mendenhall will prove to be the best backs from this class 5 years down the road.

Edited by Capt. Stanky

Royalwithcheese,

Seahawk and I are just giving you our opinions on KSmith, which is what I thought you wanted. You obviously like the guys prospects, while we do not. Let's just leave it at that and revisit this discusion during the season. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

On that note I'm also not that big on McFadden. I think Stewart and Mendenhall will prove to be the best backs from this class 5 years down the road.

You're right. But I was looking for some insight and in-depth conversation as to why people do or do not like him. Instead, I got statements like "he doesn't have talent", or "he doesn't look like an NFL RB". Reasons for the dislike is what I was looking for, not just that he isn't liked. I can say "I think Smith sucks", but what does it add to the discussion? Comments like that shouldn't be posted.

You guys are forgetting one thing, he plays for the Lions and they have one of the worst O-Lines in the league. I think he has got talent but until they fix their line, no one other than Barry can do a damn thing running the ball.

Yeah Marcus Allen really stunk...and Ricky Waters...and Larry Johnson...

So are you going on record as comparing Smith with these guys above, or are you just posting these players as having nothing similar with Smith other than possibly a bit of their running style?

I'll tell you exactly what I don't like about Smith. On his major runs, he makes 2 or more cuts to find his seam, but when he makes his cuts, he goes completely upright and stops his momentum, and then has to get his pad level down again and takes a little to gain his acceleration. His cuts usually carry him further to the edge, and it takes him a while to get there with his lack of explosive burst and what it takes for him to regather himself. He got away with that against lesser competition because of his power and because they were as slow as he was as far as reaction time.

He wouldn't have gotten away with that running style on a regular basis against BCS Ds. He had a nice game against Texas, who had a good run D, but the 'Horns were making a concerted effort to take Israel away from UCF and gave up a D player the whole game to put a spy on him. They obviously didn't think Smith was as much of a threat (though that almost cost them the game despite pretty much nullifying Israel).

When he goes to the bigs, that upright cut and then his lack of burst to get back to speed is going to get him nailed behind the line of scrimmage. He runs with great power and attitude, but he just takes too long to get into the seam. By the time he'll get there in the pros, it will have closed. he definitely doesn't have the speed to beat defenders to the edge, which is where he loves to take the ball after a cut or two.

If a coach gets hold of him and uses him as a short yardage missle - aim him at a predetermined hole and tell him to run there no matter what - he might be a decent short yardage RB. But as a featured RB who a team is expecting to find seams as they develop and then exploit them by accelarating into them? That is a weakness for him, not a strength.

So are you going on record as comparing Smith with these guys above, or are you just posting these players as having nothing similar with Smith other than possibly a bit of their running style?

What do you think I am? Crazy? I was pointing out that the tall, gliding running style didn't seem to hurt those guys and can't be used as proof that he won't succeed...