[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA

loaf

got two 12 oz bottles for a staggering $24

I don't like hoppy beers and this is one of the hoppiest. Don't know why I did it but it's a nice collectible :wacko:

Haven't tried it yet and won't until my annual Summer Bash on August 2nd. Anyone try it?

linky

got two 12 oz bottles for a staggering $24

I don't like hoppy beers and this is one of the hoppiest. Don't know why I did it but it's a nice collectible :wacko:

Haven't tried it yet and won't until my annual Summer Bash on August 2nd. Anyone try it?

linky

Why so expensive? I believe they are $14.99 for a four-pack around here. I know the 90 minute is $9.99 a four at least.

I'd buy them all day long from you for 15 a 4 pack. Heck, I'd even make the 6 hour round trip and still come out ahead...and make a killing here at work. 20% abv is illegal to sell in many states (beer that is)

the higher alcohol content and the more limited release makes for the higher price. There's a case on ebay right now with a starting price of 225 with 70 shipping :wacko:

Edited by loaf

I'd buy them all day long from you for 15 a 4 pack. Heck, I'd even make the 6 hour round trip and still come out ahead...and make a killing here at work. 20% abv is illegal to sell in many states (beer that is)

the higher alcohol content and the more limited release makes for the higher price. There's a case on ebay right now with a starting price of 225 with 70 shipping :wacko:

Hmmm....maybe I'm mistaken then. I'll check it out over the weekend.

It is a special beer and not something you can whack down a bunch of. Think more like the Sam Adams Triple Bock. I'm a hop head so I find them pretty damn enjoyable.

• 1 month later...

It's my birthday.

I bought a bottle.

It was eleven frigging dollars.

Oh good Lord. It's so good. It's, like, . . . so good. I was seriously intimidated when pouring it--$11 makes for an expensive "WHOOPS"! But it's unbelievably hoppy, yet not as strident as I find most IPAs. I can still taste some, I don't know, citrus? It's more amber than I expected.

It's STRONG, and there's no hiding it.

Somehow it's a really stiff, really REALLY hoppy IPA that tastes smooth and excellent anyway. I'm not at all an IPA fan, but this is the most I've enjoyed a beer in a long time. A great birthday present to myself.

Peace

policy

The hoppier the beer, the more malt in the mash is needed for balance... the more malt, the higher the alc content. That's why these bad boys kick yer hiney so hard. These beers aren't just a pale ale with a lot more hops... the entire recipe has to change, or it would taste like yuck... all hops and no malt. That's why it's so expensive.... takes 5 to 10 times the malted barley and hops to brew it.

I once had a 120 dispensed through a hopback tap system. Basically, it's a sort of holding tank filled with hops in the dispensing line, and it's filled with whole hops, and then filtered before it gets to the tap. It adds only hop aroma... not hop bittereness. That has to be brewed in... but the smell... ah... to die for! In fact, I have a hopback tank here at home... which I purchased directly from the Dogfish brewery. Pretty freakin cool invention...