[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stecker or Thomas

bigrocks

I don't know what this post is about. I came in here looking for new real information.

I still think Stecker is the backup to Deuce and Thomas the backup to everyone. I do like Thomas better long term though.

:D

Maybe if you read other posts in the thread you could figure it out.

And please show me SOMETHING that indicates that Stecker is in any way, shape or form, Deuce's backup. Every stat from the past calendar year points to Stecker being Bush's primary backup.

I actually do agree, however, that Thomas is more of a "general" type of backup... and actually, if you boil it down, Thomas is probably the better guy to own in a long-term format.

The root of this entire f'in conversation was about Stecker getting an increased workload with Bush out. Bleh.

Bottom line, the Saints RB situation is a complete mess, especially with a Deuce suspension on the table and Bush nursing injuries. If everyone is healthy, Bush is the back to own - especially in PPR - and Deuce is a neat little backup in most leagues. Stecker, IN MY OPINION, is the back to own in PPRs with Bush out. Thomas, as I noted earlier, is certainly worth a flier in most leagues, especially if Deuce is suspended.

Again... opinion. Y'all can have yours, but let's see some cold hard stats that back them up. I've provided mine. Not just "he's younger and has better wheels". :wacko:

Edited by darin3

I have no idea where all this Thomas love (and Stecker hate) comes from. Thomas had two games early on in the season where he posted double-digits.... when, mind you, Stecker did not play due to injury. Stecker proved himself a capable replacement to Bush late last season. Stats don't lie.

Stecker is not a 3rd down scat back. You might want to actually watch some football. :shakeshead:

I don't 'hate' Stecker. But at this point in his career, Stecker is what he is... a soon-to-be 33 year old situational 3rd down RB. He's a stop gap that can get you a few carries in relief and catch a bunch of passes. He's not someone who can carry a load. I didn't know he was injured to start the season but this kind of proves my point... he was injured at the beginning of the season, he had to leave this week's game, he played a feature role last year but eventually gave way to injury.

:wacko: I'm beginning to see a pattern here. Thomas may not ever be able to carry a load either but he has more upside than Stecker ever will in the short or long term. I originally thought Stecker had the better short term value but, as expected, he can't seem to stay healthy enough to last even the short term.

And I do actually watch football. I've watched Payton use Stecker more in Bush's role (when he's out) and Thomas more in Deuce's role (when Deuce is out or struggling). Size and weight are comparable but that doesn't end the conversation. Eyeball test says they have slightly different frames and just play differently.

And about Thomas mopping up... he did do a lot in the 4th quarter but he still had 5 touches before the start of the 4th quarter while NO never trailed by more than 11 up to that point. Deuce had 6 touches before the 4th quarter. Stecker had 3 before tweaking his hammy. So on balance... Stecker couldn't stay on the field and Thomas had 1 less touch than Deuce before the game became a blowout. It's not like being involved in slop has no value either... judging by the overall state of the Saints team there will likely be plenty of slop to go around.

I actually do agree, however, that Thomas is more of a "general" type of backup... and actually, if you boil it down, Thomas is probably the better guy to own in a long-term format.

The root of this entire f'in conversation was about Stecker getting an increased workload with Bush out. Bleh.

Bottom line, the Saints RB situation is a complete mess...

+1000 I think we agree more on this situation than disagree. Stecker is Bush's backup that wasn't in dispute. Thomas is a general backup able to fill in for Deuce or Bush. Now...

Given Stecker's age and injury history, given Bush's injury history, given Deuce's injuries and possible suspension--besides Bush... who is the RB to own if you're thin at RB or you have an extra roster spot?

Hint: maybe, possibly, could be Thomas.

Edited by kingfish247

Stecker is most definitely a fantasy option with Bush out. :D Period.

:wacko:

Stecker can definitely get it done with Bush absent. Thomas is more of a threat to Deuce's carries, not Bush/Stecker's.
No reason to think the Saints wouldn't slide Stecker right into Bush's position in this offense, especially after performing the way he did last season.

Thomas would likely get Deuce's carries and Stecker would continue to get Bush's carries.

Thomas didn't even get in the game until Stecker was on the sidelines.

Stecker, IN MY OPINION, is the back to own in PPRs with Bush out. Thomas, as I noted earlier, is certainly worth a flier in most leagues, especially if Deuce is suspended.

Again... opinion. Y'all can have yours, but let's see some cold hard stats that back them up.

OK:

Stecker: 0 rushes, 1 reception for 12 yards

Thomas: 16 carries, 88 yards, 1 TD, 4 receptions, 56 yards

I have a nice chianti to go with that crow.

:wacko:

I have a nice chianti to go with that crow.

Stecker got hurt shortly after that play. La dee da.

E2A: Re-tweaked the same hammy... Thomas did look good today, though. Not sure what Stecker's contract situation is, but Thomas - who is by far not the pass-catcher Stecker is - looked good catching the ball today... they might let Stecker walk if Thomas continues to play well in spot duty. Will get real interesting if Deuce is suspended this season. FWIW, I'm a pretty big Thomas fan after his work for the Illini even with Mendenhall there and excelling. I think the Saints will utilize him more next season.

Edited by darin3

... I think the Saints will utilize him more next season.

Thomas is a perfect complement to Bush. Not just because he's a better inside runner than Bush but because he can also do a little of what Bush can do. If/when they're both on the field at the same time, it would go a long way to keeping opposing Ds off balance.

This is actually why the offense was so efficient two years ago... before the injuries, Deuce provided that balance. He was another weapon opposing Ds had to worry about. Now, not so much.