[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2008 Super Bowl Gamblers (Anonymous) Thread

Steeltown Dre

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a big sports gambler (usually just on the SB). However, since I was in Vegas preseason I wanted to throw a small bet on a couple of teams that I felt had a shot but wasn't necessarily the favorites at the time (i.e. New England and Dallas). I throw $25 on Pitt and New Orleans.

Got Pitt at 14-1. So I'm looking at $350 if they win. Now comes my question.

Even though I believe Pittsburgh will win I thought about selling the slip to a Steelers fan for something close to the current odds (I have no idea what they are but figure you'd have to bet at least $200 to win $150). Then I thought maybe it's better to just place a bet on the Cardinals for $150 taking the points. If the Steelers win, great I still get my $200 I was looking for out of the betting slip. If the Cardinals win, I win $150. And the potential bonus is if the Cardinals cover but Pittsburgh wins, I get the $350 and the $150.

Am I missing something here :wacko:

Ended up going with the bolded area. :D

Well guys, it sounds like most of us really made out on the big game! Wouldn't you know, my computer system said Pit by 4, and that was the final margin of victory. That is what I centered my plays around, in addition to some lucrative props (5-2 on those), and had a very profitable end to the season.

To any who did the "Fav ML and underdog + points" method, you really cleaned up on a great middle!!

Thus, it's with disappointment that we mark the end of the 08-09 NFL season. This weekly thread has kicked ass once again this year, and although my contributions tailed off in the latter part of the regular season, we had some outstanding cappers contribute and really kept this thread in the "black".

To all the friends and contributors, I send my sincere thanks and appreciation: helping each other out with winning plays and information is what this thread is all about. If I named names, I'd leave too many out, but there is a dedicated group of you guys and you really did a tremendous job this season. Unfortunately, now we've got another 7 months until preseason kicks, but I have a feeling next season will be even better. Congrats to all on the season, I hope you were able to walk away with some change and it sounds like many of you made out pretty nicely this season. I'll see you guys next year, will check in from time to time, and feel free to shoot me an e-mail if you need anything. sharp@sharpfootballanalysis.com Take care.

Well guys, it sounds like most of us really made out on the big game! Wouldn't you know, my computer system said Pit by 4, and that was the final margin of victory. That is what I centered my plays around, in addition to some lucrative props (5-2 on those), and had a very profitable end to the season.

To any who did the "Fav ML and underdog + points" method, you really cleaned up on a great middle!!

Thus, it's with disappointment that we mark the end of the 08-09 NFL season. This weekly thread has kicked ass once again this year, and although my contributions tailed off in the latter part of the regular season, we had some outstanding cappers contribute and really kept this thread in the "black".

To all the friends and contributors, I send my sincere thanks and appreciation: helping each other out with winning plays and information is what this thread is all about. If I named names, I'd leave too many out, but there is a dedicated group of you guys and you really did a tremendous job this season. Unfortunately, now we've got another 7 months until preseason kicks, but I have a feeling next season will be even better. Congrats to all on the season, I hope you were able to walk away with some change and it sounds like many of you made out pretty nicely this season. I'll see you guys next year, will check in from time to time, and feel free to shoot me an e-mail if you need anything. sharp@sharpfootballanalysis.com Take care.

:D Thanks again Dre for all you have done. You are a class act and put a ton of effort in to this. Great job again this year. Hats off to the rest of the regulars as well for excellent contributions. Great job fellas :wacko:

Thanks for keeping the thread going again this season Dre.

Well, had the Cards come out on top I was looking a the big payday, but instead ended up pushing for the last game.

I would like to take a moment to pat myself on the back for my calls in the blog. Predicted 27 points for the winning team. Predicted over.

Kind of ironic. If i had not made that nice futures bet on the Cards I would likely have made a bundle on this game with the +7, and the other plays I would have made. I had lots of great ideas in this game. And didn't make a freaking dime.

Sun rises. Sun sets. :wacko:

Edited by rattsass

Most of my plays were centered around that middle, with Pittsburgh winning, but Arizona covering, with the Over in all of my teasers/parlays... Overall, a very profitable day, although it looked fairly bleak going into that 4th quarter.

6 Point Teaser (2 Teams) WON 7 units

Cardinals(Arizona) +12.5

Over 40.5

Cardinals(Arizona) +195 LOST 2 units

6 Point Teaser (2 Teams) WON 6 units

Steelers(Pittsburgh) -0.5

Over 40.5

Parlay (2 Teams) WON 4 units

Cardinals(Arizona) +7 (-115)

Over 46.5

Props:

Straight Wager WON 2 units

Heath Miller - Total Receptions - Must Play

Over 3.5 (-120)

Straight Wager LOST 1 unit

Larry Fitzgerald - Will he Score a Touchdown in the 1st Half - Must Play

Yes +150

Straight Wager LOST 1 unit

Team to Record Most Points

Steelers 1st Half Points

Cardinals Full Game Points -7 (-115)

Thanks to Dre and everybody else who has participated in these threads throughout the year. Your input/analysis has been appreciated.

For those of you who do this year-round, good luck going forward. For me, I'll probably play a little during the NCAA tournament (hoops), but other than that, I'm a football-only player. See you guys next fall. :wacko:

Looks like everyone did pretty well....I lost about a unit with about 15 different things going. Comes down to that Heath Miller catch on the first drive - if he scores instead of going down at the 1, and everything else stays the same, my Heath Miller first TD / Heath Miller will score a Touch/ Pitt -6 all come in instead of losing - about a 3 unit swing

Almost went Gary Russel to score first early in the first week at 25-1, but when I went back to put them in it was down to 15-1 so laid off.....

Unbelievable the safety was the difference from a push to a win for me, and it wasn't even a 'real' safety

Oh well, nice 4 SB in a row losing streak (in terms of picking the team to cover) and 6 of last 7 - I'm becoming the death picker much like Collinsworth (who held up his end by picking the Cards to win with the astute "I have 6 reasons Pitt will win....I'll take the cards" reasoning).

Pretty down year on my part, but mostly chasing long odds parlays (and got sucked in playing online blackjack which was so dumb)

That coin flip pattern did pay off - look for heads again next year as the seemingly random may not be so :wacko: