[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Heath Miller

hooknladder

Steelers TE Miller may become a 'salary-cap casualty'

July 1, 11:03 PM

9 commentsShareThisRSS Email Print

Associated PressWebster’s Dictionary definition of a luxury: Something adding to pleasure or comfort but not absolutely necessary.

When it comes to the issue of keeping tight end Heath Miller, the Steelers are faced with this question: Is signing Miller necessary?

He is one of the most underrated tight ends in the NFL. His size (6’ 5”) mixed with his soft hands and good speed makes him a nice target for any quarterback. Unfortunately for the salary-cap-strapped Steelers, it also makes him a hot commodity on the free-agent market.

Miller, drafted in 2005 out of the University of Virginia, is in the last year of a five year contract and can test the free agent waters once the 2009-2010 season comes to an end. This could change slightly if a new collective bargaining agreement isn’t reached in which case Miller wouldn’t become a free agent until after the 2010-2011 season.

The problems with retaining Miller’s services are many.

The Steelers are quickly nearing the maximum amount of money they can spend within the salary-cap structure. This comes after agreeing to lucrative contracts with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and linebacker James Harrison in the past year.

Along with Miller, the team must also decide on whether they want to try to keep nose tackle Casey Hampton, defensive end Brett Keisel, free safety Ryan Clark, and cornerbacks William Gay (pictured right) and Deshea Townsend, all of who will be free agents after this season.

Hampton and Keisel are both over 30 but Steelers coaches are adamant that they can still be effective. Townsend is turning 35, but is a valuable back-up. Gay, drafted in 2007, will likely be a starter this year after the departure of Bryant McFadden and could command a high salary with a solid season (He will be a restricted free agent). Clark is also a solid player who has great chemistry with strong safety Troy Polamalu and will likely want a raise on his 1.6 million dollar per year rate

Wide receiver Santonio Holmes will be looking for an extension soon as well.

Unless the Steelers decide to let a couple of these key players relocate, or they take a discount (which is not likely), there will not be enough cap space available to sign Miller.

Also consider this:

Miller had only three touchdowns last year despite being a huge red zone threat.

He caught his most balls as a pro last season with 58 catches, but his reception and yardage totals did not even rank in the top 10 out of all NFL tight ends.

He has never made a Pro Bowl.

It’s true he does bring more qualities to the table other than receiving, such as being a solid blocker and the ability to open up room for other receivers. But is he important enough for the Steelers to dish out big money while they let others go?

There's no doubt Heath Miller is a valuable piece of the offense but he’s not irreplaceable. Matt Spaeth is a capable replacement. This is a team that historically does not use the tight end very much so why pay him big money when it could go towards signing other key players?

Miller may not be a luxury the Steelers can afford.

On the block, to me, would mean that they are looking to trade him. This article is just pure speculation that the Steelers won't be able to afford his services, and will choose to spend their money elsewhere. There isn't even a word from Steelers brass that they are not going to be able to keep Miller. They obviously won't be able to sign everyone, but, to assume that they won't choose to sign Heath Miller is a bit silly, in my opinion. Out of those listed as coming up on free agency next year, Heath would be my choice as the top priority. He means a great deal to this team. He is a phenomenal blocker and is a great threat in the passing game.

On the block, to me, would mean that they are looking to trade him. This article is just pure speculation that the Steelers won't be able to afford his services, and will choose to spend their money elsewhere. There isn't even a word from Steelers brass that they are not going to be able to keep Miller. They obviously won't be able to sign everyone, but, to assume that they won't choose to sign Heath Miller is a bit silly, in my opinion. Out of those listed as coming up on free agency next year, Heath would be my choice as the top priority. He means a great deal to this team. He is a phenomenal blocker and is a great threat in the passing game.

well, to me it means chopping block. no need to get chippy...most articles this time of year ARE speculative.

well, to me it means chopping block. no need to get chippy...most articles this time of year ARE speculative.

Wasn't getting chippy at all, just commenting on the article. No disrespect intended.

While Miller's reception and yardage last season were equivalent to his previous year, he saw a dramatic drop in red zone looks. (7 TDs to 3 TDs)

As a Miller owner I was fairly disappointed, because he is a very talented receiving TE in an offensive system that just doesn't value the TE position as much as other offenses.

That's just from what I saw the past few seasons - I'm sure Steeler homers could weigh in with a bit more.

Really - I wouldn't mind seeing him move to a team that values the position a bit more.

While Miller's reception and yardage last season were equivalent to his previous year, he saw a dramatic drop in red zone looks. (7 TDs to 3 TDs)

As a Miller owner I was fairly disappointed, because he is a very talented receiving TE in an offensive system that just doesn't value the TE position as much as other offenses.

That's just from what I saw the past few seasons - I'm sure Steeler homers could weigh in with a bit more.

Really - I wouldn't mind seeing him move to a team that values the position a bit more.

From a fantasy perspective, I don't blame you one bit for wanting him on another team. The Steelers value their TE's, but, they value them as a blocker first and a receiver 2nd. Heath will never produce to the level of the tier 1 TE's while he is on the Steelers.

From an "real" NFL perspective, he is extremely valuable to the Steelers and I would be extremely disappointed if they didn't find a way to keep him.

From a fantasy perspective, I don't blame you one bit for wanting him on another team. The Steelers value their TE's, but, they value them as a blocker first and a receiver 2nd. Heath will never produce to the level of the tier 1 TE's while he is on the Steelers.

From an "real" NFL perspective, he is extremely valuable to the Steelers and I would be extremely disappointed if they didn't find a way to keep him.

agreed. more of a gamer than a fantasy footballer...-but 7TD's in '07; not too shabby.

For those reasons, I'd be surprised if they kept him. It's like you said, the value there is more as a blocker. If I were Miller I'd probably want to go somewhere else, just to see if I could live up with the likes of the Gonzo's, Whittens, et al.

looks like you may be right Menudo...

Heath Miller isn't going anywhere, for now

Posted by Mike Florio on July 8, 2009 11:43 PM

Apparently, there is scuttlebutt that Steelers tight end Heath Miller could be a salary-cap casualty in what currently is scheduled to be the last year with a salary cap.

And as a source with intimate knowledge as to the dynamics of the team's operation tells us, there's simply no way that the team will be cutting Miller.

Typically, players become salary-cap casualties when dumping their salaries would result in a potentially significant cap savings. In Miller's case, his base salary is only $800,000.

Though there's a chance that Miller has other compensation that would be avoided if he were cut, the final years of low first-round rookie contracts usually don't have exotic terms.

We'll be tracking down more details about the potential cap savings that the Steelers would realize if Miller were released. Based on what we already know, however, Miller isn't going anywhere this year.

This doesn't mean that the team will keep him in 2010. But if there's no salary cap next year, the salary cap won't be a reason to not keep him around.

This guy is a prototypical Steeler. They'll find a way to keep him there. He is one of those "glue" kind of guys. He is a TE. It isn't like he is going to cost them 8 million a year.

I give this story absolutely zero credence whatsoever. It might be true that come next year Heath Miller is playing somewhere else. It is certainly nothing like the truth that he may be playing somewhere else this year. He has 1 year to run on his rookie deal, his salary is low. It makes no sense to cut him as a "cap casualty", there are several other players who's contribution to the Steelers doesn't match their price tag who would save them more money on the cap than $800,000. . It just goes to show how poorly researched these articles are.

Also worth noting that as Florio mentioned the possiblity of no salary cap next year, if there is no cap next year Miller is only a restricted free agent, having not accrued the 6 years service veterans would require for unrestricted free agency under an uncapped year. With the cost of TEs being relatively low, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Steelers slap a franchise or transition tag on Miller if there is a cap next year either. It would give them time to work out a long term deal with him.

and to quote the original article:

"It’s true he does bring more qualities to the table other than receiving, such as being a solid blocker and the ability to open up room for other receivers. But is he important enough for the Steelers to dish out big money while they let others go?

There's no doubt Heath Miller is a valuable piece of the offense but he’s not irreplaceable. Matt Spaeth is a capable replacement."

It pays to do a little research here. Yes the Steelers do like their TEs to block. This is precisely why Matt Spaeth is not a "capable replacement" he can't block for toffee.

As for the Steelers other 2010 free agents:

Ryan Clark - being extended as we speak

William Gay - restricted free agent, he won't be going anywhere and he won't be commanding a huge salary either, regardless of how well he plays this coming year unless they choose to give him a long term deal before he becomes unrestricted.

Deshea Townsend - will be done in the Burgh after this season unless he comes back on a small contract, he was #4 on the depth chart last year when everyone was healthy (not often) and the Steelers drafted 2 new CBs in the 09 draft.

Casey Hampton - if he doesn't show up for camp in shape he'll be gone after this season and you can expect the Steelers to be looking at NT early in the 2010 draft. Tomlin is just not going to put up with having to put one of his guys on the PUP list again if he's not actually injured, just overweight.

Brett Kiesel - is a guy they could possibly extend this offseason to reduce his cap hit, ala Hines Ward. He's decent but doesn't IMO play up to the level of his contract and could very well be allowed to walk after this season too. The level of DL play did not drop off when Kiesel was injured. In addition Ziggy Hood was their first round pick.

• 3 weeks later...

:wacko:

Great move by the Steelers. This guy is quietly one of the biggest reasons for the recent success.

:D

Steelers, Miller agree to extension

Tight end signs for six years and $35.3 million

Thursday, July 30, 2009

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Matt Freed/Post-Gazette

The Steelers signed tight end Heath Miller to a six-year contract extension worth $35.3 million.

The Steelers came to a contract extension with Heath Miller last night that will pay the tight end $35.3 million over the next six seasons.

Miller had one year left on the five-year contract he signed as a rookie, when he was the Steelers' first-round draft choice in 2005. The contract includes a $12.5 million signing bonus.

Miller, 26, would have become an unrestricted free agent in March, provided the NFL has a new collective bargaining agreement by then. If not, Miller would have been a restricted free agent under new rules that players would need six years rather than four if there is no new CBA.

Although Miller has never been a Pro Bowl player, the Steelers regard him as one of the best tight ends in the league because of his ability both as a receiver and an excellent blocker.

He caught 48 passes for 514 yards and three touchdowns in 14 games last season. He added 11 receptions for 156 yards and one touchdown in the postseason. Over his four-year career, Miller has started 61 of the 62 games he has played, caught 168 passes for 1,932 yards and had 21 touchdown receptions in the regular season.

Miller was scheduled to earn a salary of $900,000 this season plus an additional $750,000 in a roster bonus.

The Steelers report to training camp tomorrow at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09211/98743...m#ixzz0Mkrbx4LQ

Great move by the Steelers. This guy is quietly one of the biggest reasons for the recent success.

Steelers, Miller agree to extension

Tight end signs for six years and $35.3 million

Thursday, July 30, 2009

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Matt Freed/Post-Gazette

The Steelers signed tight end Heath Miller to a six-year contract extension worth $35.3 million.

The Steelers came to a contract extension with Heath Miller last night that will pay the tight end $35.3 million over the next six seasons.

Miller had one year left on the five-year contract he signed as a rookie, when he was the Steelers' first-round draft choice in 2005. The contract includes a $12.5 million signing bonus.

Miller, 26, would have become an unrestricted free agent in March, provided the NFL has a new collective bargaining agreement by then. If not, Miller would have been a restricted free agent under new rules that players would need six years rather than four if there is no new CBA.

Although Miller has never been a Pro Bowl player, the Steelers regard him as one of the best tight ends in the league because of his ability both as a receiver and an excellent blocker.

He caught 48 passes for 514 yards and three touchdowns in 14 games last season. He added 11 receptions for 156 yards and one touchdown in the postseason. Over his four-year career, Miller has started 61 of the 62 games he has played, caught 168 passes for 1,932 yards and had 21 touchdown receptions in the regular season.

Miller was scheduled to earn a salary of $900,000 this season plus an additional $750,000 in a roster bonus.

The Steelers report to training camp tomorrow at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09211/98743...m#ixzz0Mkrbx4LQ

I'm sure this'll make Ownen Daniels head explode. :wacko:

That's a lot of $$$ to give to a player they barely throw to. I know he blocks too but nearly $6 million per on avg?

First off, he is not just a good blocker, he is a phenomenal blocker for a tight end. Also, he might not tally a lot of catches, but, he does come up with a lot of big catches in clutch situations. He is worth every penny.

I agree

Luckily, the Steelers realize that a player's 'fantasy' football value is not equal to his 'real' football value when they evaluate their players. It seems like they know what they are doing................. :wacko:

Luckily, the Steelers realize that a player's 'fantasy' football value is not equal to his 'real' football value when they evaluate their players. It seems like they know what they are doing................. :D

Yeah, that "little something just to keep it fair" they're slipping to the ref's does make it look like they know what they're doing... :wacko:

Yeah, that "little something just to keep it fair" they're slipping to the ref's does make it look like they know what they're doing... :wacko:

Whatever works.