[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brandon Marshall...is the ice thawing?

The Wolf

Again, I disagree. It is no ones job but Marshall's to learn the playbook. The end. McDaniels doesn't owe Marshall anything. It sounds like McDaniels is not trying to talk about it to the media and is not forcing Marshall into any corner. Marshall is putting himself in a corner by not caring, not knowing the playbook, not even trying in practice, he's basically done nothing to deserve to run with the first team. McDaniels absolutely should not put him with the first team if he consistently shows that he doesn't care and isn't willing to work to run with the first team. This is all on Marshall, period.

Again, I have no problem with the way McDaniels is handling Marshall. As a fan, I want a team of players that actually know the playbook and work hard to be a good pro. Marshall right now is not one of them. I would hate to see McDaniels put Marshall on the first team just because. That makes no sense what so ever. As a matter of fact, it would be an embarrassment watching Marshall make a fool of himself on the field because he doesn't know the playbook. This is all on Marshall's shoulders.

agree 100%

Okay, so he learns on the job. Is that too difficult to figure out? We're going to trot out Gaffney instead of Marshall simply because the HC won't take the time to get his uber-stud WR caught up by teaching him on the field as well as off the field? That's nuts. In football (like a lot of other sports) you learn by doing. Is there anyone here who has a HS coach who didn't let them participate in practice until they had the playbook memorized completely? Is that the way you were taught plays, because it wasn't they way I learned them, and it wasn't the way I taught to the players I coached.

Edited by Bronco Billy

BB, I know you dislike McD, but if you had a player/student/employee who took zero initiative to learn anything and was disruptive, would you bother?

I've had them - and if they had more talent than anyone else on the team you find a way to motivate them. Please don't tell me it can't be done. It can. But treating them constantly like a two yr old is a sure-fire way to ensure that they quit on you.

I've had them - and if they had more talent than anyone else on the team you find a way to motivate them. Please don't tell me it can't be done. It can. But treating them constantly like a two yr old is a sure-fire way to ensure that they quit on you.

If they act like a two year old then perhaps that's the way they need to be treated. It makes me sick when certain players get preferential treatment just because. That's complete BS and you know it. I guarantee you that if Marshall asked a coach to spend some extra time with him, or if he asked a QB to spend some extra time learning the playbook and just getting in synch, they would all do and it would be reported all over the place. The fact is that Marshall appears to be saying the right things but his actions are speaking volumes.

When it comes to coaching, if I have a player, even if it's my best player by far, who doesn't listen and is hurting the team then I sit them down. I've done it before and that was the right thing to do because they are nothing more than a distraction. Just like........Marshall!

I guess we disagree then cuz I think Marshall is old enough to take responsibility for his own created situation.

Well, I'll say it for the last time. All I'm doing is constantly repeating this, and it just keeps going past everyone apparently. Marshall definitely has buy in on this, and he has responsibility. But McHoody is throwing gas on the fire and he is escalating the situation. Marshall has a job to get on the field and perform. But McHoody has a responsibility to allow him to get on the field and perform. Just like the Culter sitaution - the player acted badly, but the coached acted worse - much worse, IMO.

How many talented players are we going to allow McHoody to drive off simply because they won't kiss his feet and worship him and his methods? What's McHoody going to do when he puts the next star player in a bad spot and the player gets pissed? Force them off the team, too? How many talented players do you think a team can lose before it starts looking and playing like DET?

I guarantee you that if Marshall asked a coach to spend some extra time with him, or if he asked a QB to spend some extra time learning the playbook and just getting in synch, they would all do and it would be reported all over the place.

Now that's the BS right there. There have been numerous reports of coaches, including McHoody, pulling Marshall aside and berating him in front of everyone, and of them sending him off the field. Of Marshall being yelled at and lectured to while he stood silently with downcast eyes taking it all in. Then on top of that you have the demotion to the scout team, the holding pads for other players, the ejection to the sidleines by coaches during practice.

You can call that coaching up players if you want, but that's not what I'm going to call it.

Edited by Bronco Billy

But McHoody is throwing gas on the fire and he is escalating the situation. Marshall has a job to get on the field and perform. But McHoody has a responsibility to allow him to get on the field and perform.

I'm not clear, how is McDaniels throwing gas on the fire? Marshall is on the same field as everyone else every day, yet he cries and complains and walks around while everyone else is running. How is this remotely McDaniels fault? Are you saying Marshall should just be with the first team on every play just because? It sounds like your saying that Marshall deserves and has a right to just play with the first team all of the time even though he's done nothing to deserve it. Does that sound like a good coach to you? Sounds like a baby sitter to me.

Believe me, everyone understands what your saying and respects what you have to say. What your not paying attention to is that your wrong in your evaluation of this particular situation. That's it. Everyone gets what your saying.

Now that's the BS right there. There have been numerous reports of coaches, including McHoody, pulling Marshall aside and berating him in front of everyone, and of them sending him off the field. Of Marshall being yelled at and lectured to while he stood silently with downcast eyes taking it all in. Then on top of that you have the demotion to the scout team, the holding pads for other players, the ejection to the sidleines by coaches during practice.

You can call that coaching up players if you want, but that's not what I'm going to call it.

So what you think he's the only player that gets yelled at during practice? Okay :wacko:

Good enough. I'll quit on this. Tell me how you feel as the year goes on. I don't think my impressions are going to change. I've seen guys like this before - I've played for one. It's sheer hell, and players are very prone to quit on them as the season wears on and you keep getting beaten down week after week both by opponents and then by the coaches.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I don't really see how mcdaniels can or should handle the situation with marshall practicing much differently. if a guy wants to be an ass, he is going to be an ass. and marshall has decided he wants to be an ass, stemming from his contract situation. and as far as the contract situation itself goes, I suppose I can kinda see both sides. the team says, yeah, you're a pro-bowl back-to-back 100 catch WR, but you've shown a startling lack of ability to control yourself off the field. so we think that on that basis we can justify underpaying you for one more season. marshall thinks, f*ck that, I am a pro-bowl, back-to-back 100 catch WR who is 24 years old, I'm not playing at a discount for a team that just canned my head coach, hired this newbie d00sh and traded my QB and has no loyalty or allegiance to any part of this team that was here before.

I'm not sure what the answer is. I think they probably should have extended his contract to show him that, yeah, he is part of the plans for the future. if he screws up off the field, they can address that in the contract so that they recoup a lot of the money and can sever ties if need be.

it really is the same thing as with cutler. new guy comes in with the attitude, nobody gets new contracts or special treatment or anything, everybody has to prove themselves to ME. well, the guys who have already proven themselves don't take too kindly to that, especially when they come into the season underpaid to begin with. ya know, it's one thing if you're champ bailey and you've already got the hugh contract, it's pretty easy to just roll with the punches. but if you're a pro-bowl player playing out a cheap rookie contract, it's not so easy to stomach that attitude. they feel like they need to know where they stand, and as it turns out, mcdaniels is only too happy to tell them.

I don't really see how mcdaniels can or should handle the situation with marshall practicing much differently. if a guy wants to be an ass, he is going to be an ass. and marshall has decided he wants to be an ass, stemming from his contract situation. and as far as the contract situation itself goes, I suppose I can kinda see both sides. the team says, yeah, you're a pro-bowl back-to-back 100 catch WR, but you've shown a startling lack of ability to control yourself off the field. so we think that on that basis we can justify underpaying you for one more season. marshall thinks, f*ck that, I am a pro-bowl, back-to-back 100 catch WR who is 24 years old, I'm not playing at a discount for a team that just canned my head coach, hired this newbie d00sh and traded my QB and has no loyalty or allegiance to any part of this team that was here before.

I'm not sure what the answer is. I think they probably should have extended his contract to show him that, yeah, he is part of the plans for the future. if he screws up off the field, they can address that in the contract so that they recoup a lot of the money and can sever ties if need be.

it really is the same thing as with cutler. new guy comes in with the attitude, nobody gets new contracts or special treatment or anything, everybody has to prove themselves to ME. well, the guys who have already proven themselves don't take too kindly to that, especially when they come into the season underpaid to begin with. ya know, it's one thing if you're champ bailey and you've already got the hugh contract, it's pretty easy to just roll with the punches. but if you're a pro-bowl player playing out a cheap rookie contract, it's not so easy to stomach that attitude. they feel like they need to know where they stand, and as it turns out, mcdaniels is only too happy to tell them.

Nice analysis, spot on. :wacko:

The NFL is about winning games. McDaniels took over a team with a pro bowl QB, probowl WR, and what did he do, he wanted a career backup to run his offense. A complete and utter napolean act if I ever saw one. INstead of grooming the pro bowl QB you have to your system, your ego was bigger than the team, and you wanted someone who would bow down to you like Cassell would. How does an offensive minded HC, come in and piss off the 2 best offensive players on the team, and basically say we are not going to use a borderline stud TE like Scheffler, because its not part of the system. Look McDumbass, you build your team around the personal you have. Belicheat was the master of this, but this kid completely missed that part.

If I was marshall and they just fired a HC like Shanny, for this ego punk, dumped my pro bowl QB, for Kyle Orton, and are trying to revamp an offense which was top 5 in the league to being with. Id be trying to get the hell out as well. This team isnt about winning. Belicheat proved his system didnt work in Cleveland without players. McDumbass will learn the same fate here, and hopefully will be outta the league completely because of his arrogance.

Marshall is a punk, but most WR are. Most QBs are arrogant as hell, so what if Cutler is too. This team needed help on defense and instead of hiring someone to fix that, they bring in a ego punk like this who is offensive minded and he wants to completely revamp a top 5 offense. Yeah, that is smart.

But McD did prove that if you're a good player -and- a good teammate -and- not a dick off-field that you will get a new contract as demonstrated by Casey Wiegmann.

:wacko: wow, you've really come around to hop on mcgruber's jock lately. so wiegmann stays around, while cutler and marshall are either gone or all-but. well that's great.

:wacko: wow, you've really come around to hop on mcgruber's jock lately. so wiegmann stays around, while cutler and marshall are either gone or all-but. well that's great.

Don't forget swapping out Ryan Torain for Darius Walker. That figures to really improve the backfield a ton.

Edited by Bronco Billy

The NFL is about winning games. McDaniels took over a team with a pro bowl QB, probowl WR, and what did he do, he wanted a career backup to run his offense. A complete and utter napolean act if I ever saw one. INstead of grooming the pro bowl QB you have to your system, your ego was bigger than the team, and you wanted someone who would bow down to you like Cassell would. How does an offensive minded HC, come in and piss off the 2 best offensive players on the team, and basically say we are not going to use a borderline stud TE like Scheffler, because its not part of the system. Look McDumbass, you build your team around the personal you have. Belicheat was the master of this, but this kid completely missed that part.

If I was marshall and they just fired a HC like Shanny, for this ego punk, dumped my pro bowl QB, for Kyle Orton, and are trying to revamp an offense which was top 5 in the league to being with. Id be trying to get the hell out as well. This team isnt about winning. Belicheat proved his system didnt work in Cleveland without players. McDumbass will learn the same fate here, and hopefully will be outta the league completely because of his arrogance.

Marshall is a punk, but most WR are. Most QBs are arrogant as hell, so what if Cutler is too. This team needed help on defense and instead of hiring someone to fix that, they bring in a ego punk like this who is offensive minded and he wants to completely revamp a top 5 offense. Yeah, that is smart.

seriously. compare how mike tomlin came in as a rookie head coach with how mcgruber has come in. the comparison couldn't be starker. let's compare results in a couple years. remember, one of the first things mcdaniels did when he was hired was to bring in new england's long-snapper, when mike leach was already one of the best in the game. talk about setting the tone.

:wacko: To me (and it appears several others) it was Cutler's ego that was bigger than the team, and it appears to be the same case with Marshall.

If I was marshall and had a check for 2.2 million coming in the mail with the chance to cash in on a HUGH contract by having a banner season, I would shut the heck up.

:wacko: To me (and it appears several others) it was Cutler's ego that was bigger than the team, and it appears to be the same case with Marshall.

Cutler was flat out lied to. McHoody cut the strings with Cutler long before Cutler could shed his first tears in his pillow, and Cutler caught him red handed.

Cutler was flat out lied to. McHoody cut the strings with Cutler long before Cutler could shed his first tears in his pillow, and Cutler caught him red handed.

No doubt Cutler was handled poorly! Extremely poorly as well as the long snapper. It's to bad Torian got cut buy I don't think he or Walker would've or will do anything this season anyway.

However, to stay on point, Marshall is a baby that is being handled correctly.

if by "correctly", you mean "losing your second best offensive player for nothing", then yes, it is being handled perfectly.

Gotcha, so he should let him be the only player that doesn't know the playbook and just play with the first team and do whatever he likes. Good plan! :wacko: