[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Minnesota Vikings

tosberg34

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, many things to fix on the defensive side of the ball still. The thing is, look at this offense. They have put a minimum of 27 points (IIRC) every week. And this is without the old man in the QB position at camp to get timing down with his WRs. That's pretty impressive, even if the opponents have not been.

:D Second highest scoring team in the league thanks to the KAO....

As a Ravens fan...

Are the Vikings for real? YES the Vikings are for real. Childress aside, they are very much for real.

I would love to see them pitted against either the Giants or the Saints; what an NFC Championship Game that would be!

Great game today, Vikes!

The Vikes are good; Childress aside I would not be shocked if they won it all.

As a disclaimer, I am a Ravens fan and somehow Billick managed to win it all :wacko:

Most of the Vikings success has been because of Childress. 6-10, 8-8, 10-6, ???

Fans may not like him because his sense of humor is dry, but the players respect him and play for him. It takes more than coach to win, you need to manage the ego's as well. Favre, Allen, Peterson, Williams', Winfield...he has done a great job. The schism in the locker room when he brought Favre in was a non issue and IMO was media driven. I would take Childress over most (not all) coaches in the league right now.

Childress is a disaster. He stopped doing what was working as soon as they got a decent lead and it almost cost them the game. Last week (or was it 2 weeks ago?)he couldn't find the red flag in his pocket to challenge a call. Terrible play calling, terrible decisions, the fact that they Vikes are 6-0 and he has a winning record in his 4 seasons in Minnesota is based purely on the amount of talent on the field. In a big game, his decisions will cost them a win. There is no way a Childress coached team will go deep into the playoffs. :wacko:

So you were ok with the play calling in the 4th quarter?

Yeah, they forced them to use their timeouts. If Adrian gets the 1st down, we run out the clock and kick the field goal. With less than a minute to go and no timeouts, they were banking on the defense to stop them. It could have went the other way on a incomplete pass or one of Favre's patented INT's.

Vikes are 6-0 and that is great. They dont need to apologize for their wins or how they've gotten them. That said, I dont think they should be too haughty, either. I mean, lets be honest...this team has played 3 of the absolute worst teams in the entire league(trailed 2 of them(CLE, DET) at half and was outgained by the other(STL)). They needed a miracle last play to edge the Niners at home(a team that got jacked up 45-10 by the Falcons in Frisco) and gave up a LOT of yards to the Packers. Yesterday, they got lucky again that the Ravens kicker missed that last kick. Again, they dont need to apologize for being 6-0, but it should be noted they are a whisker or two from being 4-2 and people should not overlook that when analyzing this team's chances for future success.

The O-line is still not run blocking consistently. There's big plays here and there(mainly due to AP), but not a lot of sustained, run heavy drives. The defense has looked very vulnerable at times to both the run and pass. The team has not played an entire 60 minute game yet. Either they're lousy in the first half and then come on in the 2nd, or they look good early and then fade late. This team has a lot of things to work on and needs to improve in several areas before I am comfortable calling them a legit Superbowl contender.

I am really looking forward to this weekend's game vs Pitt as measuring stick. I want to see if this team can go into a hostile environment and compete with a talented, physical team in the elements. This is their first game against a team of equal(if not more) talent where the home field advantage is not on their side, and I want to see how the Vikes do.

Most of the Vikings success has been because of Childress. 6-10, 8-8, 10-6, ???

I would take Childress over most (not all) coaches in the league right now.

With all due respect, I gotta disagree with you here, man. I think the improvement in W-L has as much to do with the talent the team has brought in as it does with anything Chilly has done/is doing. I am pretty much of the opinion that this team is improving in spite of Chilly rather than with the aid of...

Childress is a disaster. He stopped doing what was working as soon as they got a decent lead and it almost cost them the game. Last week (or was it 2 weeks ago?)he couldn't find the red flag in his pocket to challenge a call. Terrible play calling, terrible decisions, the fact that they Vikes are 6-0 and he has a winning record in his 4 seasons in Minnesota is based purely on the amount of talent on the field. In a big game, his decisions will cost them a win. There is no way a Childress coached team will go deep into the playoffs. :wacko:

This I more agree with.

Chilly still leaves much to be desired, IMO. He makes poor decisions at critical times, and really doesnt add much to this team in terms of gameplan and strategy. I dont have confidence that he will make the kind of good decisions needed when the chips are down and this team is in a hugh game.

With all due respect, I gotta disagree with you here, man. I think the improvement in W-L has as much to do with the talent the team has brought in as it does with anything Chilly has done/is doing. I am pretty much of the opinion that this team is improving in spite of Chilly rather than with the aid of...

This I more agree with.

Chilly still leaves much to be desired, IMO. He makes poor decisions at critical times, and really doesnt add much to this team in terms of gameplan and strategy. I dont have confidence that he will make the kind of good decisions needed when the chips are down and this team is in a hugh game.

And thats how most fans feel. The players get the credit when they win, Chilly gets it when they lose. Everybody is so critical of his every move. What if Favre would have thrown an INT? What about defensive play calling? It's funny that nobody mentions that. How the heck can you leave Karl Paymah (who signed to play special teams) alone on the corner?

The Vikings are winning close games in SPITE of Childress, not because of him.

They are 6-0, but obviously had some weaknesses exposed yesterday.

In the past the Vikes LOSE those close games, not win them. That is why the Vikes are undefeated, and a shoo-in for the playoffs. They arfe finding ways to win the close games.

Playing at home, they gave up 450+ yards, sacked a QB 3 times, and had no take aways? Did someone say they were one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the league?

A missed field goal at the end today, a last minute win against SF before?

If anyone thinks they are a Top 5 team, you are insane.

Now, can they win the division? Yes. Will they? Probably.

This is a horrible argument... the whole " they should be 4-2 if...

If SF handn't blocked a field goal and then returned it for a TD (ten point swing) the game would not have even been close. It shouldnt have been close, and you are using the same logic to say that they should have lost the game, but one lucky play.

The Vikings are winning close games in SPITE of Childress, not because of him.

They are 6-0, but obviously had some weaknesses exposed yesterday.

In the past the Vikes LOSE those close games, not win them. That is why the Vikes are undefeated, and a shoo-in for the playoffs. They arfe finding ways to win the close games.

I am going to disagree and I am not going to get into on what it takes to be a head coach because I have no F'n clue. I just know that it takes a lot of time to prepare and get your team ready to play on Sunday. The Vikings have won 6 or 7 road games dating back to last year. I seem to remember that Denny Green and Mike Tice lost 18 or 19 consecutive road games.

Childress also had a say in player personnel which also says a lot about winning. I bet most would like to see Childress get fired...that just baffles me.

And thats how most fans feel. The players get the credit when they win, Chilly gets it when they lose. Everybody is so critical of his every move. What if Favre would have thrown an INT? What about defensive play calling? It's funny that nobody mentions that. How the heck can you leave Karl Paymah (who signed to play special teams) alone on the corner?

Oh, I agree there. Chilly is not the only one to blame. That said, its his staff and ultimately the buck stops at him. Who makes the calls on who is active/inactive each week? If Paymah is such a glaring liability, I'd say he shouldnt be the primary(or even secondary) backup at CB. What's the story with Asher Allen? All indications are he's healthy but he's been a scratch every week so far :wacko:

The main point of my post was not too bag on Chilly as much as it was to point out there are still a lot of concerns I have about this team despite the perfect record.

The Vikings have won 6 or 7 road games dating back to last year. I seem to remember that Denny Green and Mike Tice lost 18 or 19 consecutive road games.

Not sure that makes Minny fans feel any better that Chilly is better than Green and Tice. Just sayin :wacko:

Not sure that makes Minny fans feel any better that Chilly is better than Green and Tice. Just sayin :wacko:

I know coaches are disposable, but you don't get rid of him when he's winning. There is something about him that just rubs people the wrong way. Maybe his dry sense of humor. He gets railed the stupidiest things...

I know coaches are disposable, but you don't get rid of him when he's winning. There is something about him that just rubs people the wrong way. Maybe his dry sense of humor. He gets railed the stupidiest things...

He is winning because of Brett favre. If he isnt signed, then the Vikes have to depend on tavaris Jackson (who Chilly traded UP to draft several rounds ahead of the reat of the nfl). I also think that the Vikes LOSE those close games without Favre.

Chilly is a craptacular coach. he has immense talent on his teams, and has found a way to underperform every year.

I would LOVE to hear some great coaching moves that are directly attributed to Childress . . .. and Favre WAS NOT up to Chilly.

He is winning because of Brett favre. If he isnt signed, then the Vikes have to depend on tavaris Jackson (who Chilly traded UP to draft several rounds ahead of the reat of the nfl). I also think that the Vikes LOSE those close games without Favre.

Chilly is a craptacular coach. he has immense talent on his teams, and has found a way to underperform every year.

I would LOVE to hear some great coaching moves that are directly attributed to Childress . . .. and Favre WAS NOT up to Chilly.

Ummm...yes he was. Childress kept harrassing him until he said yes. The guy's mancrush for Brett rivals Madden's. :wacko:

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

I don't have time right now, but check the Vikings score vs opponents this year in the 3rd quarter. I think it is something like 50-7????

Coming out of the half and making adjustments or counteracting teams adjustments is hugh.

ETA - Managing the egos alone and getting the players ready to play is a job in itself.

Edited by Outshined

I don't have time right now, but check the Vikings score vs opponents this year in the 3rd quarter. I think it is something like 50-7????

Coming out of the half and making adjustments or counteracting teams adjustments is hugh.

ETA - Managing the egos alone and getting the players ready to play is a job in itself.

First point is very valid. But isnt that mainly the coordinators? :wacko: to be fair, then Chilly doesnt deserve the blame for almost blowing the game by the defense playing like crap in the 2nd half.

Managing egos is the first job of most NFL coaches. That is a basic job skill. I really dont know how anyone can say that Chilly is doing a better or worse job than any other head coach in that respect.

maybe Chilly's mistakes are so glaring that they get extra attention because they are so freakin bad? Like the inabaility to get the flag out in time a couple weeks ago and drafting Tavaris Jackson?

First point is very valid. But isnt that mainly the coordinators? :wacko: to be fair, then Chilly doesnt deserve the blame for almost blowing the game by the defense playing like crap in the 2nd half.

Managing egos is the first job of most NFL coaches. That is a basic job skill. I really dont know how anyone can say that Chilly is doing a better or worse job than any other head coach in that respect.

maybe Chilly's mistakes are so glaring that they get extra attention because they are so freakin bad? Like the inabaility to get the flag out in time a couple weeks ago and drafting Tavaris Jackson?

It wasn't drafting him that was the problem. He was taken with the last pick of the second round. Ask Steelers fans who they got in return and I bet nobody can name them. The problem was that he started him before he was ready. Childress figured out that he is not the answer hence the benching last year, signing fumblecopter. So whats wrong with that? He knows he is not the answer...

It wasn't drafting him that was the problem. He was taken with the last pick of the second round. Ask Steelers fans who they got in return and I bet nobody can name them. The problem was that he started him before he was ready.

And whose final call is who starts at QB "before they were ready"? And who has the responsibility for getting him ready?

Would that be . . . I dont know . . . . THE HEAD COACH? Especially a coach that had such a man crush that they traded up and drafted him 3-4 rounds before anyone would have considered him . . .

And whose final call is who starts at QB "before they were ready"? And who has the responsibility for getting him ready?

Would that be . . . I dont know . . . . THE HEAD COACH? Especially a coach that had such a man crush that they traded up and drafted him 3-4 rounds before anyone would have considered him . . .

That was three years ago. I also stated he benched him as well and went out to find someone better.