[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Brett Favre Poll

DMD

Brett Favre the Anti-Packer  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Has your opinion of Favre changed in the last year or two?

• No - He's one of the greatest QBs ever
    • No - never cared either way about him
    • Yes - I like him more
    • Yes - I like him less

He is still a HoF QB. That can't change.

For me, I simply lost respect for the guy. If he had not done his whole "retire or not" schtick, he'd still be in GB. He put GB is a very difficult spot for no reason at all, other than wanting attention, apparently. To me he went from tough competitor to whining baby. He seems to have just wanted to hold up an NFL franchise just to get them to kiss his hand. Pathetic.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think Favre was forced out by TT. Why on Earth would a guy want to retire when he's playing at a decent level? Hold a team hostage? He didn't start to waffle until TT decided to call Brett's bluff. It was a good 'ol fashioned pissing contest. Brett saw the team falling apart and that he had a small window of opportunity to win in GB. Free Agency could have helped the team win. TT didn't want Brett to dictate what happens.

Take a look at Jason Whitlock's article this week: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/1032537...-Thompson-wrong

It is an interesting read. Now, was Favre wrong in the whole departure and how it happened? Yes. Was TT wrong, yes? This is not a Favre vs. Rodgers debate either. Who can question Rodgers' ability? He's good. Favre wouldn't survive in GB with their lack of OL. Rather, look more at what TT has done to the team.

Last year and this, are living proof that Ted Thompson's rationale for building a team will not work if you use the Draft alone. Free Agency needs to be a big part of a team. Charles Woodson is the most recent star-type player signed.

The Vikings on the other hand, have proven that Free Agency and Draft will get a good team. Like it or not, the Vikings are the upper-tier in the NFC North. The Packers will be lucky to get a Wildcard if they get a winning record at all. Hopefully, the GB Franchise will realize that MM and TT are the reason the Packers are falling further and further behind the competition.

Another good reading place is www.nationalfootballpost.com Brandt has some good points about the TT / Favre saga.

Either way. The Vikings are looking great and we know which direction GB is going.

Last year and this, are living proof that Ted Thompson's rationale for building a team will not work if you use the Draft alone. Free Agency needs to be a big part of a team.

I still like seeing TT build from the draft, but we definitely could have used an experienced swing tackle for depth at the start of the season.

I still think Favre was forced out by TT. Why on Earth would a guy want to retire when he's playing at a decent level? Hold a team hostage? He didn't start to waffle until TT decided to call Brett's bluff. It was a good 'ol fashioned pissing contest. Brett saw the team falling apart and that he had a small window of opportunity to win in GB. Free Agency could have helped the team win. TT didn't want Brett to dictate what happens.

Take a look at Jason Whitlock's article this week: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/1032537...-Thompson-wrong

It is an interesting read. Now, was Favre wrong in the whole departure and how it happened? Yes. Was TT wrong, yes? This is not a Favre vs. Rodgers debate either. Who can question Rodgers' ability? He's good. Favre wouldn't survive in GB with their lack of OL. Rather, look more at what TT has done to the team.

Last year and this, are living proof that Ted Thompson's rationale for building a team will not work if you use the Draft alone. Free Agency needs to be a big part of a team. Charles Woodson is the most recent star-type player signed.

The Vikings on the other hand, have proven that Free Agency and Draft will get a good team. Like it or not, the Vikings are the upper-tier in the NFC North. The Packers will be lucky to get a Wildcard if they get a winning record at all. Hopefully, the GB Franchise will realize that MM and TT are the reason the Packers are falling further and further behind the competition.

Another good reading place is www.nationalfootballpost.com Brandt has some good points about the TT / Favre saga.

Either way. The Vikings are looking great and we know which direction GB is going.

Favre's bluff? :D The guy friggin RETIRED! He cried his eyes out and said no mas. I think its completely absurd how many people take the side of Favre on that deal when the truth is he put himself before that organization for a couple years and then finally quit on them :wacko: Just because he's played well through half this season doesnt mean he's absolved of guilt nor were the Packer's wrong for moving on. Thompson was put in a tough spot by Favre and now he's getting ripped more than he deserves IMO.

And Whitlock is chiming in? That should be good. Someone let me know how he spins a Favre vs Thompson debate into a racial commentary :D

Where has the team gone with Ted Thompson? What is his record since taking over as GM?

He is proving that he is not able to do the job.

No one said Favre should be absolved. He was just as much at fault. But, if you're getting pressure at your job that it isn't secure, would you waffle? Brett retired. Done. He was WRONG with that. But, I still do not think it would have come to that if he'd felt like the team was going to make a run to "WIN NOW". He saw that. TT did not do that. That is their choice. It was also their choice to move on when Brett retired.

That isn't the point. Whitlock has not made it a racial issue. His article points more towards how TT has failed in GB and the Favre Saga is a byproduct of TT's overall failure. Like it or not, he could have made some moves and won with Favre and then moved on with Aaron. That is not the real issue. The real issue is that he cannot do the job.

I think the spin is now, more, why have the Packers stalled and failed? Thompson. His judgement of talent is not working out (i.e. - Radji, Harrel) Rodgers has all the tools to be a great QB, but what kind of team is TT putting around him?

OL = Sucks.

RB = No production

D/ST = Folds against quality teams

Coaching = suspect

How many losing seasons did Wolf and Holmgren have?

How many have TT and MM had?

Edited by Ed Hoyle

Where has the team gone with Ted Thompson? What is his record since taking over as GM?

He is proving that he is not able to do the job.

No one said Favre should be absolved. He was just as much at fault. But, if you're getting pressure at your job that it isn't secure, would you waffle? Brett retired. Done. He was WRONG with that. But, I still do not think it would have come to that if he'd felt like the team was going to make a run to "WIN NOW". He saw that. TT did not do that. That is their choice. It was also their choice to move on when Brett retired.

That isn't the point. Whitlock has not made it a racial issue. His article points more towards how TT has failed in GB and the Favre Saga is a byproduct of TT's overall failure. Like it or not, he could have made some moves and won with Favre and then moved on with Aaron. That is not the real issue. The real issue is that he cannot do the job.

I think the spin is now, more, why have the Packers stalled and failed? Thompson. His judgement of talent is not working out (i.e. - Radji, Harrel) Rodgers has all the tools to be a great QB, but what kind of team is TT putting around him?

OL = Sucks.

RB = No production

D/ST = Folds against quality teams

Coaching = suspect

How many losing seasons did Wolf and Holmgren have?

How many have TT and MM had?

I am not sure what you are trying to say. Weren't the Packers 13-3 the last year Favre played there? Didnt they make it to the NFC Championship game? Seems to me the guy's job was pretty safe at that point. It was after that, though, that he retired. IIRC, he said he didnt know if he still wanted to play. He cried and hung em up. He quit on a 13-3 team. After hinting about it for years, he retired. Or so he would have everyone believe.

I am not sure what kind of angle you are trying to take by suggesting Favre's waffling was somehow a reaction to what the Packers were doing to him. Seems to me, the Packers reacted to Favre's waffling. Then (when they didnt give him his way) he tried to spin it as though he was kicked out of town. In any case, he's got only himself to blame for how it worked out between he and GB and he can sleep in the bed he's made.

As far as the job Thompson is doing running the Packers, I couldn't care less if they ever win another game. I only commented on TT because I think he's getting a lot more heat than he deserves because a lot of people are so infatuated with Favre they believe he can do no wrong so they're piling on Thompson.

The whole thing is a mess. And while things are going well here now, if the Vikings dont win the Superbowl, I shudder to think of how its going to end up here, too :D I cant wait to spend the summer hearing speculation all day every day about whether or not Favre will return and/or who will be the Vikings QB out of TJack/Rosenfels :wacko:

Edited by Delicious_bass

Sounds like you dislike Favre even though he's the missing piece your team hasn't had.

That is your right. I was a die-hard Packer Fan until TT tore the team apart. The Favre thing was only a small piece. Friends in GB say TT did a lot more in the Favre Saga to get it rolling than anyone will ever know. (i.e. - Forced hiim out.) But, that is hearsay. But, TT made it crystal clear he didn't care for Favre. That is his right as GM. But, the way Favre was playing at 13-3, he should have done more to build a team around the guy who was getting you wins. He did not do that.

Again, their choice. But look at where GB is now. 13-3, 6-10, and where will they be this year? THat is on the GM and Head Coach.

Favre had a part in it all. He wasn't the team, but it sure is looking like he know something was up. Should he have handled it the way he did? Heck now. He should have rather gone to Packer Nation and announced, hey, I want to stay here, but Ted is trying to force me out. What do you want to do? Chances are they'd have sent Ted packing. It does sure look like Brett knew a little about how the team was playing under MM and how the OL was not working.

Lord knows he's played more football than MM or TT. I'd take that over those two buffoons any day.

In the end, he's winning games for you and showing that he can still play. Like him or not, your team is better with him on it.

My comparison to Torii was along the lines of that he and Brett were both mistreated by their GM's who had young developing stars to fill in for them, so they went elsewhere. Many MN fans could have easily said that Torii was just being greedy and boo'ed him, but we cheered him because we understood what that what the team was offering was total BS. Just like when Brett was only offered the back up job even though he was prepared to join camp on time and compete for the job. If Rodgers was so much better then Brett because of OTAs, then let him show it on the field and make him win his job.

Beyond all the drama he just makes everyone around him better, and that has been shown so clearly. You'd think a "family team" would want that. How the hell does a vampire like Thompson ever become the head of that family anyway!?

My comparison to Torii was along the lines of that he and Brett were both mistreated by their GM's who had young developing stars to fill in for them,

Please explain how Torii was mistreated. :D

If I recall correctly the Twins actually offered him the same amount of per year money as the Angels. The main difference is he was only offered two years from the Twins and he was able to get more years from the Angels.

Sure, his situation is now better with the Angels as far as a competitive standpoint and having an owner able to spend more money on the entire team, which was also incentive to move to a new team. But all that is FAR from qualifying as being mistreated. :wacko: