[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What makes a good fan?

coopershit

Then came 2006 - Current. Nothing but consistent blackouts because the Bengals fell into being the "Bengals" again. Now the Bengals, top of the hill the city is starting scream Who-Dey but no followers at the game? Hey Sailor! New in town??? is up with that? Perhaps its the fan's lack of trust in the team? They know their winning but, still scared to come to the game?

Might want to check those facts before making stupid posts. The Bengals have sold out 48 consecutive regular season home games. That puts it back to 2003...

I love the atmosphere and energy of going to a game. However, I totally agree with detlef. If there is a big game my team is involed in I like to be home. I get everyone out of the house, stock the fridge with everything I could possibly need. Crank the volume up to a rediculously loud level. Drink many good beers and act like an idiot by myself. Maybe its just because I have developed a hatred for crowds and dumb people in my older age, or maybe I feel like I can watch the game better at home. That may make me a bad fan or a drunk but I am OK with that.

So this whole thread was just a Steeler fan having a wankfest so he could go off on Bengals fans. Yay.

Born in Pittsburgh, but I now live in Cincinnati, and I don't understand how people in this area treat their football team. That's what its about.

Regardless of who my allegiance goes too, I am pointing out the lack of fans in this area. You obviously like the Rams. They have sucked forever, but that doesn't prevent you from going to the games and the St. Louis area respecting their team.

Born in Pittsburgh, but I now live in Cincinnati, and I don't understand how people in this area treat their football team. That's what its about.

Regardless of who my allegiance goes too, I am pointing out the lack of fans in this area. You obviously like the Rams. They have sucked forever, but that doesn't prevent you from going to the games and the St. Louis area respecting their team.

Easy now, we did win it all in 99-00, and got back to the Super Bowl after that. Since then, well, OK we have sucked hard.

If that's what flips your switch, then stay home. Those of us who go to games are willing to pay the price for the excitement, atmosphere and camaraderie of being there, and even being part of the action when the bad guys have the ball. There is no experience like being an excited fan AT a professional sporting event, and the owners know that and charge accordingly.

I'm trying not to be too offended that you basically called me a stupid sheep for going to the game and having a beer. I also get to regularly take my sons to the game and have a great day enjoying something we have in common and using the down time to talk about life, love, school, friends and everything else guy-to-guy.

Truth be told, I think it's a bargain. So stay home and eat a sandwich with your dog and stop calling me names.

Well said, I also understand your viewpoint.

However, that should be said by some mid aged housewife who is tired of her husband spending all day watching football or better, becoming an ALL PRO FORUM member on a fantasy football website. You must have been obviously brainwashed into the blind allegiance of professional football itself as well. We all have. Anyone rocking a membership to the Huddle and browsing the forums because it's " a Hobby, fun to do, get your mind off the daily grind, etc" whatever it is, don't talk about stadiums and franchises brainwashing you into what is a good time. Because you obviously like to talk about their product enough to be one of those brainwashed fools.

Be sure not to watch football this Sunday, unless hypocritical behavior runs in your family.

Listen guys, the first stones were not cast with my post, but rather when yet another wanker called out people who refuse to be an active party to an industry who seems hell bent on squeezing them for all they can get away with and maybe a bit more. The price of seeing a big time sporting event has radically outpaced inflation.

Basically, Cinci fans have endured years upon years of crappy, crappy teams, then the get a teaser for a year or two and, along the way endure the annoyance of seeing another Bengal run into trouble with the law, and, oh by the way, they suck again. So they're supposed to fill the seats week one? Why should this crap be rewarded? Great, so they're playing well all of a sudden. Call me if and when they make a season out of it.

Oh and cooper. I watch when it's good and don't when it's not. The other weekend I looked at the docket and noticed that every game was crap (I don't pay for Sunday ticket, so I get what I get). So I turn to my wife and ask what she wants to do. "No football?" "None worth watching, let's get out."

And trust me, when DMD starts charging me $100 a pop to come here and makes me pay $10 for a crappy beer, I'm out of here as well.

i generally hold det's pov. much more fun, comfortable, affordable at home (especially with HD). by the same token, i understand where swammi is coming from. "home" for me is still san francisco and before i moved to colorado in 01 i was hitting at least 1 game a year. if going to the game, it was going to be a tailgate. when not, usually a bunch of us would camp at one of our favorite sports bars for the day. there was great comraderie in spending sunday with friends and your team (to some degree). to spend a decent amount of money on 2 teams that are not my own is a deterent. i think if i were back in the bay area... i'd prob still catch a game a season, but i could see us rotating houses instead of going to the bars. well maybe every once in a while we'd do that do to the old tradition.

Listen guys, the first stones were not cast with my post, but rather when yet another wanker called out people who refuse to be an active party to an industry who seems hell bent on squeezing them for all they can get away with and maybe a bit more. The price of seeing a big time sporting event has radically outpaced inflation.

Basically, Cinci fans have endured years upon years of crappy, crappy teams, then the get a teaser for a year or two and, along the way endure the annoyance of seeing another Bengal run into trouble with the law, and, oh by the way, they suck again. So they're supposed to fill the seats week one? Why should this crap be rewarded? Great, so they're playing well all of a sudden. Call me if and when they make a season out of it.

Oh and cooper. I watch when it's good and don't when it's not. The other weekend I looked at the docket and noticed that every game was crap (I don't pay for Sunday ticket, so I get what I get). So I turn to my wife and ask what she wants to do. "No football?" "None worth watching, let's get out."

And trust me, when DMD starts charging me $100 a pop to come here and makes me pay $10 for a crappy beer, I'm out of here as well.

Every game was crap? What about your team... the 49'ers who were putting it to the Colts most of the game until the end of the 2nd half? What about Packers vs. Minn?

Crap? Baltimore and Denver? Crap?

Hmm.. ok.

Every game was crap? What about your team... the 49'ers who were putting it to the Colts most of the game until the end of the 2nd half? What about Packers vs. Minn?

Crap? Baltimore and Denver? Crap?

Hmm.. ok.

Like I said, I don't buy the Ticket, so I get 2 games at 1pm and 1 game at 4pm. One matched up Carolina and Washington, the others matched a very good team vs a winless one (actually that might have been the week where NE played Tenn). And you know what? Perish the thought, but I think I actually skipped some pretty decent games the other weekend because it was a really beautiful day and some friends were getting together for a long ride.

Apparently we're on different levels when it comes to our allegiance to the game. For me, it's like every other form of entertainment. If it's good, I'll watch it. If it sucks or I have something better to do, I won't. Which is basically how everyone treats everything but their precious sports teams.

Why is that? You're frowned upon if you stop paying attention when a business entity formed for your entertainment fails to execute on their end of the deal. Would you get pissed at someone because they stopped buying albums of some band that used to be good and now suck? How is this any different?

The success of the UC Bearcats is also a factor. Many season ticket holders gave up on the Bengals and purchased UC season tix. Others bought single game tickets and won't double up with Bengal seats. Also, high school football is huge in Cincinnati. People outside the area can't understand the impact of HS football in this area. The first round of playoffs are this Friday and Saturday night. Couple that with a huge game at UC Saturday night and you can see why fans may opt out of Bengal tickets. One thing to keep in mind is that every game has sold out and there have been no local blackouts. I predict this week's game will sell out today, thus avoiding a blackout.

The Bengals just announced that the game is indeed a sellout and will be televised locally.

But that's not what you said. You said "$200 + plus for a ticket" That's just not the case in most places. That's all I'm saying. I agree with your premise, it's expensive.

And yes, if you tailgate, you can eat and drink very cheaply outside and get by with having maybe one or two beers inside and still get a great experience.

Show me were I said it was $200 for a ticket.