[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rules question

lkirc

I can't remember who the WR was (too many Molson's, I guess), but a play happened last night that has me scratching my head.

The WR was near the sideline and caught a pass. He got both feet down and was going out of bounds. He went out of bounds with control and then the ball got knocked out of his hands before he hit the ground. Is there a different rule concerning possession if a player is going out of bounds vs. staying in the field of play?

If a player catches the ball in the middle of the field and takes 2 steps and then get tackled and the ball comes out before he hits the ground, it is a completion and a fumble. If he is does the same thing and lands out of bounds it is incomplete?

Perhaps I am remembering the play wrong. Could someone staraighten me out, please? I would like to move on with my life.....

Edited by lkirc

I can't remember who the WR was (too many Molson's, I guess), but a play happened last night that has me scratching my head.

The WR was near the sideline and caught a pass. He got both feet down and was going out of bounds. He went out of bounds with control and then the ball got knocked out of his hands before he hit the ground. Is there a different rule concerning possession if a player is going out of bounds vs. staying in the field of play?

If a player catches the ball in the middle of the field and takes 2 steps and then get tackled and the ball comes out before he hits the ground, it is a completion and a fumble. If he is does the same thing and lands out of bounds it is incomplete?

Perhaps I am remembering the play wrong. Could someone staraighten me out, please? I would like to move on with my life.....

it was reviewed and called an incomplete pass

IIRC, the ref said it was'nt a catch because he did'nt control the ball through hitting the ground. :D

Hence my confusion. What if that happened in the middle of the field? Incompletion or fumble? :wacko:

Wasn't the ball knocked out by the defender, and not from hitting the ground?

If thats the play your talking about, I believe he had two feet in and then the ball

was knocked out by a defender therefore he did not make a football move after

catching the ball.So if it happened in the middle of the field, coming down with the

ball and having it knocked out before making a football move, it would be incomplete.

If he came down with the ball and took two step(a football move) then had it knocked out,

it would be a fumble.

I saw the play and the review. The explanation was that the receiver has to maintain control all the way to the ground on that out of bounds play. He didn't, losing the ball as he hit the ground. Is that different if the play is in bounds? I don't know - but I don't think so. You're changing the situation slightly by saying on an in the field play the receiver "takes two steps". That's more than touching two feet in bounds. If the receiver catches the ball in the middle of the field, during which he touches two feet down, then loses the ball as he hits the ground, I think that's also an incompletion.

Hence my confusion. What if that happened in the middle of the field? Incompletion or fumble? :wacko:

An incompletion there too, as well as the end zone. They have to maintain control all the way to the ground regardless where it may happen.

I'm not a fan of that rule, but that's what it is.

In the middle of the field the reciever must:

1. come down with the ball and either make a 'football move' meaning taking a step or two with control of the ball to be a catch or

2. come down with the ball keeping it off of the turf if he goes to the ground

The reason they have the rule they do for out of bounds is because they don't have the option of bobbling the ball and keeping it off of the turf because as soon as anything hits out of bounds the play is dead. I think the rule is crap but it is what it is. The receiver must get two feet down and maintain control all the way through the catch even if the ball doesn't hit the turf; he still has to not allow it to move.