[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A little beer shopping tonight

Puddy

That is an awesome list. I am so glad i dont live in that area, I would be a lot drunker and a lot poorer.

Thanks, it's by far the most fun part of my job. I can't wait until the cellar comes of age and I can have more verticals of stuff.

haven't check in on this thread for a long time...did some shopping tonight, came home with some favorites (aventinus, wiehenstephaner kristall weiss, great divide yeti imperial stout), and some other stuff too...like a 12 pack sampler from anderson valley brewing, in CA. man, I forgot how much I love that brewery. their winter solstice is awesome, I'd already call it my favorite seasonal beer after fuller vintage ale (pricey and absolutely awesome in every way) and samichlaus.

Paulaner is the gold standard of Oktoberfest beers. Weihanstephaner makes a Fest Bier that is a bit hoppier but very nice as well. It's not what I would call a traditional marzen though.

The only American version that I've ever had that was close was the Oktoberfest from Harpoon.

an american marzen that I had recently and really liked is Hoss rye lager by Great Divide.

Nice collection. I'm the only non-retailer to buy a case of the Bitches Brew, so I'm the only guy with any left, because I stashed half and sold the other.

damn I might have to come up with some way to make it worth your while for me to hit you up for a bottle of this.

Edited by Azazello1313

haven't check in on this thread for a long time...did some shopping tonight, came home with some favorites (aventinus, wiehenstephaner kristall weiss, great divide yeti imperial stout), and some other stuff too...like a 12 pack sampler from anderson valley brewing, in CA. man, I forgot how much I love that brewery. their winter solstice is awesome, I'd already call it my favorite seasonal beer after fuller vintage ale (pricey and absolutely awesome in every way) and samichlaus.

an american marzen that I had recently and really liked is Hoss rye lager by Great Divide.

damn I might have to come up with some way to make it worth your while for me to hit you up for a bottle of this.

That's a damned fine beer. So freaking juicy. Never thought of it as a Marzen, though admittedly, I'm not as up on German styles as I am most others.

I was actually able to get a 2nd case so I could part with one. Unfortunately, it'll cost damned near as much to ship it as it will cost. Send me a message if you want it.

ETA: Well there you have it...

From the GD website description of Hoss

is based on the Marzen lagers of Germany. Rich, layered malt notes, with hints of cherry and dark fruits, dominate, while the unique addition of rye imparts a slightly earthy, spicy character. Hoss finishes crisp and dry, and its brilliant red-orange color is a toast to the sunsets that make the perfect backdrop for this beer. 6.2% ABV
Edited by detlef

IMO Short's is easily Michigan's most inventive brewery. They come out with unique beers regularly. Last night I picked up a sixer of PB&J ale. I just finished the first one and it is very good (if you don't mind fruit styles as it reminds me of their Soft Parade a little). I also bought a six pack of Uber Goober with is an Imperial Oatmeal Stout fermented with real peanuts. Haven't tried it yet but I might crack one tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

The holiday beer list.

Triskaidekaphobia 13th Anniversary Tripel Ale - Snoqualmie Falls Brewing. Nice surprise. Great Tripel.

Oatis - Ninkasi. Ninkasi's beers are by far my favorite.

Total Domination IPA - Ninkasi

Sleigh'r Dark Doüble Alt - Ninkasi

Believer Double Red - Ninkasi

Jubel 2010 - Deschutes Brewery. $10.99 a 22oz bottle, worth every bit.

The Abyss 2010 Stout - Deschutes Brewery. Another $10.99 22ozer

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co. I think it was about 10 years ago when I last had this beer, I had forgoton how good it is.

Pretty good beermas. :wacko:

Edited by evil_gop_liars

For the holiday season picked up a case of Founders Centennial IPA - good stuff!

Just had my first beer exchange with 3 of my staff after lunch (my treat for lunch) and the selections were ...

Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA (mine)

Intercourse Blue Ball Porter (gotta love the name - new local brewery from Lancaster Co.)

Terrapin Hopsecutioner (just the name sounds good)

Smuttynose Robust Porter

Not too bad for their first foray into it - all of them have tried a lot of microbrews, but interesting to see the picks they'd like to share.

We'll see how this works out.

Cheers! :wacko:

PS - I already do a beer exchange with a couple of my partners on a quarterly basis - wanted to get some of the younger guys involved.

• 2 weeks later...
Harpoon Chocolate Stout

By far the best chocolate stout I have ever had. It truly is delicious.

Had a Sam Adams mixer 12 pack awhile back and it had a choc stout. It really and literally did taste like chocolate. After nearly barfing I poured most of it down the sink and I almost never do that. To me the "chocolate" thing should be more of a figure of speech, not taste like someone put melted candy bars in it.

Anyway being lazy and so not going to the beer stores/etc to get something better or more exotic, I'm just bouncing around what the grocery stores offer - admittedly very limited but still more than acceptable. Just bought Sierra Nev's Pale Ale, which I hadn't had for awhile.

Had a Sam Adams mixer 12 pack awhile back and it had a choc stout. It really and literally did taste like chocolate. After nearly barfing I poured most of it down the sink and I almost never do that. To me the "chocolate" thing should be more of a figure of speech, not taste like someone put melted candy bars in it.

It's a Chocolate Bock and I think it's really, really good.

Just brought home two sixers of Lagunitas Hairy Eyeball Ale. American Strong Ale 9% F'n great Beer! Really Big yet hints of raisons maybe figs, Scrumptious, but strong. Really digging this Brewery lately. They know their stuff for sure

• 3 weeks later...

Great Lakes Burning River - have had before and is really good

Young's Double Chocolate - one of my all time favorite's

Southern Tier Choklat - bought based on Loaf's recommendation. Haven't had it yet.

Bell's Batch 10,000 - The last of their 'batch series". Haven't tried it yet.

Bell's Third Coast Ale - not yet (didn't know this was 10.2% abv when I bought it :wacko: )

Founders Porter - I've read this is one of the best porter's on the planet. We'll see.

Also picked up a bottle of wine:

Rutherford Ranch 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon - had a few glassed of their 2007 at dinner the other night. They didn't have it at the store so I picked this up. Any of you wine guys had any of their stuff?

Did a dinner with Sierra Nevada last Wednesday. Very fun night and the beers are still delicious as ever. It's easy to overlook them because you can get so caught up chasing the shiny new things popping up all over the place, but they're all damned solid beers.

In fact, the Kellerweiss might be my favorite Hefe out there. So refreshing and fruity. Torpedo is a fine IPA and much cheaper than most you'll find. It's also sort of an IPA and a half, which is a nice style. Not as big as a double, but richer than a straight forward IPA. The Bigfoot was decadent but balanced, the Pale was still reliable (and still holds a place in my heart as basically my first "micro" back in the day and the beer that is most likely to be the one decent beer in the cooler if you go to a party where someone isn't so into craft beers). We held back some of the 30 (blend of Celebration, Oak-aged Barleywine, and Pale Ale, blended and dry-hopped).

At any rate, I love these beers as much now as I ever did.

A couple bars are having a collaboration IPA-looza. 14 different IPAs at each.

I've finished one bar's.

Here's their list:

Breckenridge 471 - small batch imperial ipa

Willoughby Brewing Company - hop jam - black rye ipa

Lagunitas - IPA

Bear Republic - Racer 5

Founders - Double Trouble - imperial ipa

Troegs - Nugget Nectar - imperial amber

21st Amendment - Hop Crisis - imperial ipa

Hoppin Frog - Mean Manalishi - imperial ipa

Houblon - Chouffe - belgian ipa

Victory - Hop Wallop - double ipa

Stone - Ruination - imperial ipa

Left Hand - 400lb monkey - imperial ipa

Avery - IPA

Brewdog - Punk

Southern Tier Choklat - bought based on Loaf's recommendation. Haven't had it yet.

Had it last night. The aroma was unbelievable if you like chocolate. I liked the beer too but it's a little harsh compared to the Young's I normally drink. Probably because it's a crazy 11% abv. Good call Loaf.