[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jaguars deathbed article

Randall

I am sure Jacksonville Florida is nice just like most of Florida is, but...

...what is clear is that the NFL knows nothing of the San Antonio/Austin area. There is nothing you said that San Antonio does not have bested. There are more corporate headquarters, football fans at all levels, just as many students and just as many major universities, military bases, Toyota auto plant, brewery, with Austin 3 times the population of Jax, football is just as big if not bigger in this area compared to Jax. There are probably many more paying customers here than in Jax. You know that football is king in Texas just like Florida. Jax is too crowded by other teams and other better destinations for tourists. What was the NFL thinking? Jacksonville? Just because the place went from 400,000 people to 800,000? No offense but LA or San Antonio would have been a better selection. The NFL says they want to be diversified and international, well hell, all of Mexico would be fans of a team in SA. If the NFL wanted the Latino fan, they would put a team in LA or SA before Mexico City, but I am sure they will get that wrong, too, when the time comes.

I am frustrated about the NFL, so please do not take any of my opinions personally, plus I have bad typing etiquette that makes me look like I am overly pissed :wacko:

O o o o oh!

Lets play a game called "guess where Scooby's hubby lives"!!!

Arent y'all Cowboys fans anyway? :tup:

O o o o oh!

Lets play a game called "guess where Scooby's hubby lives"!!!

Arent y'all Cowboys fans anyway? :wacko:

honestly, I am kinda against expansion and the dilution of talent. i am more worried about London and Mexico City being added before LA or SA. i really like the NFL how it is and would rather see teams relocate within the US, if teams like the Buffalo or whoever need to move for financial reasons. i think that having a new stadium with participation from the city's tax base is important for both the team and the city, afterall they benefit from one another.

But I do know for a fact there is tons of interest in all levels of football there, and plenty enough population on both sides of the border and in city... The thing that is not as obvious is why they haven't been able to continually tap into that interest, but I don't think that negates anything I've said...

We don't go after marquee players. We don't go after them in free agency, we don't go after them in the draft, and we don't go after them on the trading block. It's really that simple. Where's Anquan Boldin? Where's Brandon Marshall? Where's Donovan McNabb? Where's Dez Bryant? Heck, where's Tim Tebow? I realize he's probably not the answer when it comes to the QB position (at least not with this franchise), but he would have sold tickets like hotcakes. It's not like we didn't reach for Alualu.

Ever since the Del Rio era began, this team has had the personality of a grapefruit. Combine that with the housing market collapse that has left us knee deep in forclosures, short sales, and homes that are worth 60% of what we paid for them and you get poor ticket sales.

Combine that with the housing market collapse that has left us knee deep in forclosures, short sales, and homes that are worth 60% of what we paid for them and you get poor ticket sales.

I used to travel alot for a grocery chain that opened many stores in that region. I saw Green Cove Springs and Starke up close and personal. And I didn't get the same "suburb" feeling like I do here around STL. I live a good 45 mins or so from downtown, and make the trip for the home games. In the same driving distance, I don't recall seeing the same type of environment. And that was a good 3-4 years ago before the economic downturn. GCS is where I did learn about "shrimpin" though... catchin' fresh shrimp yourself, except the second time you cast your net, try and rinse off the fish poop. I hope the region improves down there. I always liked going down that way. (Almost as fun as Pahokee. Almost.) Wish you the best down there.

You must have gone into Fleming Island while you were in Green Cove Springs, right? I would imagine that would be a little closer to what you're used to seeing. Point taken, though. Jacksonville is much more rural in general than most metropolitan areas. I've barely seen a fraction of the wealth and prosperity that I was used to seeing in South Florida.

Edited by tomfin2000

I found this article about the Jags interesting.

link

Declining the London Game

"The Skinny: The Jaguars were offered the opportunity by the league to move this year’s home game against the Washington Redskins to London. This would have reduced the number of home games from 10 to 9 and the prices of season tickets by 10%. Wayne Weaver declined, stating that it could be taken as a sign that his support for Jacksonville was wavering.

MJ’s Opinion: Can Wayne Weaver do anything more to affirm his support for the Jacksonville market? While it would be nice to get the team some national exposure, Mr. Weaver supports the loyal season ticket holders that have backed the team through thick and thin."

They have lowered ticket prices and accept payment plans on season ticket sales.

Even with the team records Owens and Fitzpatrick set? Longest TD pass and maybe longest QB TD run? :wacko:

Surpassing that other storied Bills combo: Todd Collins to Quinn Early.

As a loyal patron of the Rams in here in STL, I wish I could offer more sympathy. And I really, sincerely do feel for the football fans there. However, many here feel somewhat vindicated about the expansion which gave JAX and CAR their teams, and the current trouble in JAX. While we here in STL are not exactly the picture of fit economic health (not certain which cities are right now), we are not close to being on the life support JAX seems to be right now (knock on wood). People were pizzed about being being snubbed for JAX, and those memories are NOT forgotten. God bless Georgia Frontiere. And, after winning it all 10 years ago, when she stood there on the podium with Tagliabue, and said the title proved she did the right thing in moving the team to STL, many thought it was a kick of sand in the face of the NFL. While her comments may have been exactly that, this is a much bigger "I told you so" to the league. Please don't misconstrue my message - we aren't happy to see others fail in this manner. Vindication in this instance has it's winners and losers... while those of us PSL holders in STL on the sidelines of this unfortunate situation watch our Rams instead of the "Stallions". Anywho... best wishes and best of luck to the JAX fans.

Just my $0.02.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Louis_Stallions

My thoughts exactly, well put. Did anyone outside of Jacksonville or the NFL offices really think that putting a team in JAX was a better plan than putting one in a much larger city that had supported NFL football well before? And before you start sniping, the Cardinals did not leave because of lack of fan support, they were in the top third of the league in attendance in a mid-sized market. The Great Satan Bidwill took his team and left for the desert because he couldn't get the sweetheart stadium deal he wanted because of infighting and political struggles between St. Louis and St. Louis County. He got his deal in Arizona and remains without a championship, which I believe is perfectly fine with him. Money first, everything else second. The only reason the Rams are "struggling" at all is the turmoil in ownership. Once that is settled, we will resume selling out every game as we did for more than a decade after the Rams moved here. My condolences to the fans in JAX, we in STL know all too well the pain of losing a team.

It's absurd that with a sport as popular as the NFL, any city should have trouble selling tickets. Jax obviously was a bad choice for expansion.

It's even more absurd that our second largest city doesn't have a franchise. The LA Jaguars does have a nice ring to it.

• 1 month later...
On Tuesday, Jacksonville Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver put an end to years of speculation and head-shaking about the lackluster corporate bidding for naming rights atop the former Alltel Stadium. After three years with no partner, the Jags have closed a five-year, $16.6 million dollar deal with the Jacksonville-based EverBank. Under the terms of the agreement, Jaguars Municipal Stadium becomes EverBank Field, a well-run local banking institution gets its name on the national map, and the Jaguars (hopefully) put a stop to the never-ending speculation that the team is looking to pull up stakes and relocate to Los Angeles (or some other, larger city which can presumably fill the stadium in a tough economic climate.)

"EverBank's sponsorship demonstrates its confidence that Jacksonville is a viable NFL market," said Weaver.

Bringing further comfort to Jaguars fans, EverBank Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Rob Clements told reporters the five-year deal is no one-off, saying, "We have the firm expectation this partnership will continue."

Looks like the Jags aren't trading coasts after all. Perhaps you should get on the phone with Oakland or St. Louis?

Or Minnesota. The seats in LA are purple...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/melissa-ross...i_b_662104.html

13,000 new season ticket holders that have come on board since the newly formed "Team Teal" group began a ticket drive back in January. The number represents an all-time high in new ticket buyers and is the highest figure in the league at this point with regards to new fans.

There are still as many as 5,000 tickets remaining for some games, but indications are now that the first four games will likely be sellouts.

The team is going nowhere.

• 2 months later...

I'm not a Jaguars fan, but the national spotlight of Monday night's game did a great service to the city and people of Jacksonville. We all now realize what you've known for awhile. I don't want to hear any more blaming of small town markets or Jacksonville fans, or that Florida has too many teams, or that Florida is a college football state, or that the economy sucks. The problem is simple and straightforward: an atrocious product and an insulting attitude. I would fire del Rio today as step #1.

Having a bad team isn't enough - being bad is a cycle every (or at least most) team(s) will go through. Fans can tolerate that, as long as there's some indication that the franchise is actually trying to get better. Your starting QB is Garrard and your backup is Edwards. Garrard is not new. You've known for awhile that he's not going to get it done. What's the master plan here? What have we been building towards for the last 2-3 years? Who's running the show and who gets the blame?

Far worse than personnel is a coach that doesn't seem to get it. As other posters have pointed out, you're lackadaisically marching down the field in the 4th quarter trying to score. del Rio wasn't even trying to win the game. OK, fine. Coach recognizes the inevitable. Then WHY are you calling timeouts when TEN has the ball with 2 minutes left? This is disrespectful to the traditions of the game and smells of the usual narcissistic CYA mentality. What message are you sending to your players and fans?

That Monday night game was as bad, if not worse, than the Ravens/Browns vomit-a-thon from last year. The players deserve better, the fans deserve better, and the city deserves better.

[steps off soapbox]

I'm not a Jaguars fan, but the national spotlight of Monday night's game did a great service to the city and people of Jacksonville. We all now realize what you've known for awhile. I don't want to hear any more blaming of small town markets or Jacksonville fans, or that Florida has too many teams, or that Florida is a college football state, or that the economy sucks. The problem is simple and straightforward: an atrocious product and an insulting attitude. I would fire del Rio today as step #1.

Having a bad team isn't enough - being bad is a cycle every (or at least most) team(s) will go through. Fans can tolerate that, as long as there's some indication that the franchise is actually trying to get better. Your starting QB is Garrard and your backup is Edwards. Garrard is not new. You've known for awhile that he's not going to get it done. What's the master plan here? What have we been building towards for the last 2-3 years? Who's running the show and who gets the blame?

Far worse than personnel is a coach that doesn't seem to get it. As other posters have pointed out, you're lackadaisically marching down the field in the 4th quarter trying to score. del Rio wasn't even trying to win the game. OK, fine. Coach recognizes the inevitable. Then WHY are you calling timeouts when TEN has the ball with 2 minutes left? This is disrespectful to the traditions of the game and smells of the usual narcissistic CYA mentality. What message are you sending to your players and fans?

That Monday night game was as bad, if not worse, than the Ravens/Browns vomit-a-thon from last year. The players deserve better, the fans deserve better, and the city deserves better.

[steps off soapbox]

Excellent post.

[steps off soapbox]

Very well summed up. Toss in a new GM while you're at it because whoever it is really blows, esp regarding offensive talent. Maybe the owner wants to move to San Antonio?